• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Molehill

International Captain
What does Ben Compton have to do off the field to be selected? He's done everything required in the middle. The favouritism of Crawley is astounding!
I don't think he has done everything he can do in the middle. 4 years ago he'd have been selected, but his strike rate is too low for the current set up.

I am happy that Hameed rescued his career after that torrid period at Lancashire, but even an improved Hameed in 2021 was still way off the pace at international level. He just doesn't have the scoring options needed to succeed.
Was I the only one who felt a little embarrassed every time I saw Hameed and Burns walk out to the middle? The scruffiest pair of openers ever.

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
I actually find it ridiculous and even bordering now on insulting towards the cricketing public, if Crawley is still under consideration.

And that's from someone who supported him well after others had written him off.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually find it ridiculous and even bordering now on insulting towards the cricketing public, if Crawley is still under consideration.

And that's from someone who supported him well after others had written him off.
Why? I'de have agreed 6 months ago but right now he's done fine. He did as well as any opener, england or not in the home summer last year and averaged 50 in pak, plus he's actually making county runs now. England have found a top 3 that are actually making runs for the first time since the 2011 team, don't know why we need to go chopping and changing the side. If crawley has a bad few games to start the ashes maybe he gets dropped then though.

Nicky

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
England are probably gonna stick with him now............. He gets a big score every 1000 matches, and he did in in County cricket, not in Test cricket.

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
Why? I'de have agreed 6 months ago but right now he's done fine. He did as well as any opener, england or not in the home summer last year and averaged 50 in pak, plus he's actually making county runs now. England have found a top 3 that are actually making runs for the first time since the 2011 team, don't know why we need to go chopping and changing the side. If crawley has a bad few games to start the ashes maybe he gets dropped then though.
He averaged 14.5 in NZ, and 29 over the winter including Pakistan.

In the last 12 months he's averaged 25.8.

Since the start of last summer 24.3.

Since the start of 2021, he's averaged a shade under 22.4.

His last 8 innings, he's scored 121 @ 15.

Since his double against Pakistan in 2020, he's reached 50 6 times in 49 innings. In the same period he's had 23 single figure scores. That's almost 50% of his innings scoring less than 10 over a 2 and a half year period.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
see: Foakes
Yeah I was being a bit facetious there tbh. I'm probably one of Foakes biggest fans here and firmly believe he should play every game.

But the openers are a bit different and I don't think for a minute that Stokes/BMac see their role is to see off the new ball.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Carse nearly scoring a ton, and looking pretty quick, not sure about Tests ATM, but certainly think he could be a bolter for the World Cup.

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
Personally I find the idea of settling with someone who's going to score 5,20,0,40,5, etc etc completely pointless.

I also think that whether the last 10 people to have a go have all done the same, is irrelevant.

He isn't good enough, so try someone else who might be.