• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs West Indies - Frank Worrell Trophy 2022

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fell like a house of cards. Expected.

The last test we won against Australia was at the ARG

This test we lost by 419 runs.

Something was just disturbed in the universe. This is our wake up call.

Slifer

International Captain
Well before the series started I said if Australia doesn't win each test with in 3 days then they should hang their head in shame. So who really is surprised....

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I might make a point here. I see people all the time witter about how test attendances are declining and how the eighties WI team were supposedly such a drawcard.

The attendance of WI tests at Adelaide are as follows:

This test: 86,617
2009: couldn't find
2000: 61,486
1997: 68,435
1992: 57,573
1989: 58,479
1984: 53,445
1982: 107,771
1976: 107,993
1969: 84,632
1961: 112,060
1951: 39,505

And the '84 and '89 matches went a full 5 days. Now the attendance of the 1982 test was 107,771. That was also the last series Aus was competitive with WI for a while, not least because drawcards like Lillee and Chappell retired and the Australian team went into a deep slump until the '89 Ashes.

Now Packer was very much into promoting ODIs at the expense of tests, and this was probably a significant factor. But also, not many people wanted to turn up and watch a poor Australian team get thrashed. Not only were ODIs promoted more, but rules such as no bouncers blunted the WI bowlers and made Australia more competitive in them, especially as we had a player set that was a bit better in the short form. You could turn up and watch Viv whack some sixes and Australia could still win. Not so in tests.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Yeah agreed. It's like some of these trolls have short term memories. Only India in recent times has been competitive in Australia, so WI being destroyed is not surprising and goes with what Australia has been doing to all sides at home.
Alot of Australians who are paid to watch and comment on cricket, don't watch cricket outside of their own country, that much is clear. The fact they chose Brian Lara as the West Indian rep when he doesn't follow the team very closely speaks volumes.

We lick our wounds and regroup. This was actually a pretty good year for us in test cricket. This series was actually a very useful reality check both on the quality of our batting and our reliance on the dukes ball.

Slifer

International Captain
Alot of Australians who are paid to watch and comment on cricket, don't watch cricket outside of their own country, that much is clear. The fact they chose Brian Lara as the West Indian rep when he doesn't follow the team very closely speaks volumes.

We lick our wounds and regroup. This was actually a pretty good year for us in test cricket. This series was actually a very useful reality check both on the quality of our batting and our reliance on the dukes ball.
True that. Young Chanderpaul has certainly been a revelation. Hopefully Braithwaite can also build on this. I'm not too worried about the bowling. I expected them to get destroyed but as in '76, Holding and co got destroyed but that made them better bowlers.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
True that. Young Chanderpaul has certainly been a revelation. Hopefully Braithwaite can also build on this. I'm not too worried about the bowling. I expected them to get destroyed but as in '76, Holding and co got destroyed but that made them better bowlers.
They need to get better with the kooka though. Not sure how, but they need to find a way

TheJediBrah

Halba isn't Australian ffs

He comes from a special country they made just for him to contain his explosive level of dumb****ery

Slifer

International Captain
2 against Zimbabwe in January, 2 against South Africa away in February, 2 at home against India in July.
That's it, 6 tests? Well I expect us to beat Zim, get destroyed in RSA and likely lose to India. But if we could manage at least drawn test vs either India or RSA I'll take it. But seriously, 6 tests? Surely some other board and the WI board can organize more matches.

And lastly, I'm ok with 2 tests vs the stronger teams ie vs India and Aus in general and RSA. But wi should be playing at least 3 tests vs everyone else. Especially at home.

WICFan

U19 Captain
CWC next year, West Indies could be in the qualifying series in Zimbabwe, so they could be waiting until that is sorted, also, there's quite a lot of International series due to take place next Spring/Summer.

TheJediBrah

That's it, 6 tests? Well I expect us to beat Zim, get destroyed in RSA and likely lose to India. But if we could manage at least drawn test vs either India or RSA I'll take it. But seriously, 6 tests? Surely some other board and the WI board can organize more matches.

And lastly, I'm ok with 2 tests vs the stronger teams ie vs India and Aus in general and RSA. But wi should be playing at least 3 tests vs everyone else. Especially at home.
Wouldn't bank on Australia being desperate to have them back soon for Tests after this

Spark

Global Moderator
I might make a point here. I see people all the time witter about how test attendances are declining and how the eighties WI team were supposedly such a drawcard.

The attendance of WI tests at Adelaide are as follows:

This test: 86,617
2009: couldn't find
2000: 61,486
1997: 68,435
1992: 57,573
1989: 58,479
1984: 53,445
1982: 107,771
1976: 107,993
1969: 84,632
1961: 112,060
1951: 39,505

And the '84 and '89 matches went a full 5 days. Now the attendance of the 1982 test was 107,771. That was also the last series Aus was competitive with WI for a while, not least because drawcards like Lillee and Chappell retired and the Australian team went into a deep slump until the '89 Ashes.

Now Packer was very much into promoting ODIs at the expense of tests, and this was probably a significant factor. But also, not many people wanted to turn up and watch a poor Australian team get thrashed. Not only were ODIs promoted more, but rules such as no bouncers blunted the WI bowlers and made Australia more competitive in them, especially as we had a player set that was a bit better in the short form. You could turn up and watch Viv whack some sixes and Australia could still win. Not so in tests.
Yeah like I said, the culture war stuff is a total non sequitur wrt crowds. Just make the tickets cheaper and keep winning and it'll take care of itself.

Not paywalling half the internationals in this country would also help.

Slifer

International Captain
They have a tour literally next summer don't they?
Yeah I just saw that they are scheduled to tour Oz again at the beginning of 2024. Yeah fat chance of that happening. Either that or if I'm Australia, I'd play my B team to break them into test cricket.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The 76 team was in a totally different position to this team as it had some established players plus some generational talent coming through