• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I dont like Bazball

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I never said Bazball was a myth, in fact you may well recall that I fully expected NZ to lose every game to Bazball, which they duly did.

It's not a case of whether or not it'll work, it's a case of what's the point of playing cricket that is completely rank, unwatchable filth. Like, cricket is supposed to be a sporting contest which has fans willing to watch it and all that sorta jazz.
Coming back to quote this again because I reckon it might be the stupidest post of all-time

You don't like it, fine, but the idea that the problem with is because cricket is supposed to be a sporting contest which has fans willing to watch it is so hilariously wide of the point that I can't get my head around the fact anyone, even one as lacking in self-awareness and empathy as th, has posted it.

Stokes has just eked a victory out of the flattest pitch of all-time and this numpty thinks his brand of cricket will turn viewers away from the sport. Okay then.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Coming back to quote this again because I reckon it might be the stupidest post of all-time

You don't like it, fine, but the idea that the problem with is because cricket is supposed to be a sporting contest which has fans willing to watch it is so hilariously wide of the point that I can't get my head around the fact anyone, even one as lacking in self-awareness and empathy as th, has posted it.

Stokes has just eked a victory out of the flattest pitch of all-time and this numpty thinks his brand of cricket will turn viewers away from the sport. Okay then.
I agree with Thierry Henry too, gimh. Do you really believe you'll sustain interest if every team and every match start this aggressive game?

When 400+ got cracked once in the sa-aus odi, it hooked us all with excitement in that game. But now every other odi gets a 350+ score and it is slowly resulting in a gradual demise of the format as it is not a balanced game between bat and ball anymore in odis. It is just an extended form of t20s.

If all teams adopt this bazball format and prepare pitches to suit it, tests will be extended odis and by extension, extended t20s. We will eventually lose interest in tests too. I believe bazball is the first step in turning traditional viewers away from the game.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with Thierry Henry too, gimh. Do you really believe you'll sustain interest if every team and every match start this aggressive game?

When 400+ got cracked once in the sa-aus odi, it hooked us all with excitement in that game. But now every other odi gets a 350+ score and it is slowly resulting in a gradual demise of the format as it is not a balanced game between bat and ball anymore in odis. It is just an extended form of t20s.

If all teams adopt this bazball format and prepare pitches to suit it, tests will be extended odis and by extension, extended t20s. We will eventually lose interest in tests too. I believe bazball is the first step in turning traditional viewers away from the game.
Big assumption here.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Tbf I respect your opinion. I don't think the comparison carries though. The Stokes/McCullum approach is about aggressive cricket with bat and ball. It's only resulted in a huuuuuuge innings total in this game. it's had us chase some tricky targets and win games that look like meandering to a draw. Wickets have tumbled in all of the Stokes games, even this one had 37 whereas this wicket would classically have seen about 18 wickets across four dull af innings.

Scoring fast in Tests doesn't have the same ends as it does in limited overs. It makes results more likely and conversely makes huge totals less likely. The balance between bat and ball is arguably aided by this approach.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I honestly think you guys are doing a big disservice to both B Mac and Stokes by saying Bazball is only about hitting and scoring fast. I honestly it is just about letting players play the way they are most likely to succeed. Yes, they do believe in moving the game forward but not in some comical fashion. There is a lot of thought behind this process and it deserves to be respected IMHO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I honestly think you guys are doing a big disservice to both B Mac and Stokes by saying Bazball is only about hitting and scoring fast. I honestly it is just about letting players play the way they are most likely to succeed. Yes, they do believe in moving the game forward but not in some comical fashion. There is a lot of thought behind this process and it deserves to be respected IMHO.
I agree with this. It'[s part of why I don't think the ODI/T20 comparison holds.

srbhkshk

International Captain
If anything the approach turned what would have been an absolutely drab and meaningless draw into a super fun match. I don't see how that loses fans. Yeah, it's gonna be a problem if all teams started to create flat pitches, but that problem is independent of bazball, it would still be a problem if all teams batted like Azhar Ali possessed..

End of the day - no team bats slowly in tests because they somehow want to respect tests or whatever - they bat slowly because you tend to get out if you try batting faster, if some teams feel they are gonna maximize their score by batting fast then obviously it'd be real stupid of them to not bat fast.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
ah old cricket fans gatekeeping the sport as usual nothing new to see here at all
I'm trying to imagine fans of other sport reacting like this. Football is my usual go-to and I just can't countenance a scenario where they'd say 'all these goals they're scoring is ridiculous and ruining the game'.

I mean in such a scenario, what people would point out is that said team may come unstuck when faced with a top-class attack who may expose their gung-ho approach. Valid. but everyone would acknowledge it was good to watch. Except weirdos.

I mean I guess cricket is different so the comparison doesn't necessarily hold (maybe @Uppercut can do something better - he's good at these sort of analogies) but the idea that a team going all out to win somehow betrays the sport is laughable.

Perhaps the problem is that people don't like what they thought to be valid and sound assumptions about the game being challenged and exposed so brutally.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm trying to imagine fans of other sport reacting like this. Football is my usual go-to and I just can't countenance a scenario where they'd say 'all these goals they're scoring is ridiculous and ruining the game'.
Tangent but I reckon football definitely gets a streak of this. I don't remember which world cup it was but I recall people complaining about new balls that curve too much and can lead to more long range shots. And there's always some old gits who moan that players now have more skills and less capacity to kick the **** out of each other.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes congrats on barely winning against a team with literally 1 bowler with prior test experience..