• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allan Donald vs Joel Garner

Who was the greater bowler?

• Allan Donald

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Joel Garner

Votes: 16 40.0%

• Total voters

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
As an example from amongst the players I have watched, I have absolutely no doubt that Gillespie and Walsh are two bowlers who could have had much better stats had they been the lead bowlers in their sides. They almost all the time had to bowl into the wind and try to bowl dry spells to ensure Ambrose or McGrath on the other end can attack. While I understand the glamour of individual stats for arguments such as these, especially among bowlers, it is very important to note what role their team needed them to play and how well they played it.

And perhaps you would find some who could play every role really well and maybe those bowlers do need to be rated higher. One example I can think of, is Pollock. He often bowled into the wind when bowling with Donald but he also performed really well as the lead bowler, rough stats against one of the greatest sides ever aside. It is not such a simple thing as to go by just bowling average and strike rate in what is basically a team game.
Gillespie
Walsh
Akram

Shady Slim

International Coach
that is a remarkably curious and probably statistically significant difference in the average between bowling the first and second over for m holding which i can't quite figure out why it'd be a thing tbh, for anyone not just holding - obviously you wouldn't have exactly equal averages bowling first and second, just because of the multifarity of circumstances in any individual game, but you would expect most people would look like that of garner, basically around the same number with slight margin of error there - but holding's is really weird!!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
that is a remarkably curious and probably statistically significant difference in the average between bowling the first and second over for m holding which i can't quite figure out why it'd be a thing tbh, for anyone not just holding - obviously you wouldn't have exactly equal averages bowling first and second, just because of the multifarity of circumstances in any individual game, but you would expect most people would look like that of garner, basically around the same number with slight margin of error there - but holding's is really weird!!
Usually the 2nd over means you are bowling into the wind especially in those days of mostly open grounds than fully built stadiums. Must be that.

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
Check Sachin stats for 1st vs 2nd in ODIs…

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The big lesson here is if you're batting you're hoping Garner isn't made to wait til 3rd change to get a go.

Johan

U19 12th Man
Recently I found these charts on ICC ranking.com used to rate players , here is Garner vs Donald Chart for Test
IMG_20220727_112538.jpg

as you can see , they both made it to Number 1 for few tests , but Donald spend a LOT more time there tho it can be said that Garner was facing much stiffer competition , they both stood high their entire career , ratings are a more reliable measure
IMG_20220727_113052.jpg
The Big Bird seems to spend more of his time as a 800+ rated bowler but its as close as it can be

Statistically speaking , Garner has better average then anyone iirc thats not named Malcolm Marshall but his lack of 5 wicket halls has him underrated , even though its understandable considering he bowled a lot with 3 strike paces.

either way , I will always take Joel Garner above Allan Donald , he is a bowler like Curtly Ambrose and Glenn McGrath , he is slower but almost unplayable , combined with a very high point of ball release , Donald is more like Steyn and Younis , I always take McGrath/Ambrose time

for more of these charts , comparasion of Garner with Dennis Lillee

IMG_20220727_112707.jpg
either way , if the Test charts are too close , we can use LOI too , Not only does Garner statistically obilerate Donald in One Day Cricket... here are the charts for ranking first

IMG_20220727_113626.jpg
One is surfing and the other is scooba diving as far as rating goes
IMG_20220727_115450.jpg
even though I grew up with Allan Donald and not Joel Garner , I'll take Garner , seems near unplayable when in form from what I saw of him, seemed like a slower but taller ( body + Hands ) version of Curtly Ambrose ( but a much better ODI pacer , probably due to Yorkers ) , I like Donald and have him as a top tier ATG pacer , but Garner just edges him in test and obilerates in one day , for me atleast