• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Put these five players in order

Bijed

International Regular
In terms of what I'd most likely go for myself, ifI had to:

Jadeja (assuming we're not talking about him with just the moustache, that looked awful)
Lillee
Moeen
Grace
Hughes

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Openers from the last 10years or so who've played approx 50 tests and all average 40-45:

Tamim Iqbal, Gautam Gambhir, Simon Katich, Murali Vijay, Mohammad Hafeez

I'd probably go:
Katich
Tamim
Vijay
Gambhir
Hafeez

Howe_zat

Audio File
Openers from the last 10years or so who've played approx 50 tests and all average 40-45:

Tamim Iqbal, Gautam Gambhir, Simon Katich, Murali Vijay, Mohammad Hafeez

I'd probably go:
Katich
Tamim
Vijay
Gambhir
Hafeez
Katich
Tamim
Gambhir
Vijay
Hafeez

Katich as an opener was gun, Gambhir was unstoppable for about two years and better than Vijay who has only ever been solid. Surprised Hafeez averages 40, though he gets too much hate.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Hick
Misbah
Haddin
Umar
Imran
Interesting. I'll be tempted to rate Imran higher than Haddin and Umar (although Umar may surpass Imran by the time he retires)

Same question for Russell Arnold, Ravi Bopara, Ken Rutherford, Steve Tikolo, Sunil Gavaskar (as ODI batsmen only)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Katich
Tamim
Gambhir
Vijay
Hafeez

Katich as an opener was gun, Gambhir was unstoppable for about two years and better than Vijay who has only ever been solid. Surprised Hafeez averages 40, though he gets too much hate.
Hmmm, looking back you may be right. Gambhir was genuinely incredible for a couple of seasons, and then became terrible. Vijay had 2-3 very good years but hasn't put together a dominant run of form. Already shows signs of declining too.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Cheteshwar Pujara - 6792 runs at 43.81, 18 hundreds
Richie Richardson - 5949 at 44.39, 16 hundreds
Andrew Strauss - 7037 at 40.91, 21 hundreds
Mark Taylor - 7525 runs at 41.48, 19 hundreds
Marcus Trescothick - 5825 at 43.79, 14 hundreds

bagapath

International Captain
Cheteshwar Pujara - 6792 runs at 43.81, 18 hundreds
Richie Richardson - 5949 at 44.39, 16 hundreds
Andrew Strauss - 7037 at 40.91, 21 hundreds
Mark Taylor - 7525 runs at 41.48, 19 hundreds
Marcus Trescothick - 5825 at 43.79, 14 hundreds
Taylor averaged 43.5

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
These are 5 batsmen who have often struggled, been dropped, or (in Mitchell's case) been seen as provincial journeymen. This year they've scored runs for run.

Surprise successes in 2022:

Jonny Bairstow
Kraigg Brathwaite
Dinesh Chandimal
Usman Khawaja
Daryl Mitchell

Rate them on surprise factor and as test batsmen.