• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Put these five players in order

Howe_zat

Audio File
Matthew Hoggard (248 wickets at 30.50)
Andy Caddick (234 wickets at 29.91)
Darren Gough (229 wickets at 28.39)
Steve Harmison (222 wickets at 31.94)
Andrew Flintoff (219 wickets at 33.34)

I reckon Goughy was the best of them, followed by Hoggard and Flintoff. I think Caddick is remembered a lot more fondly now than when he was in the team due to his tendency to perform in dead rubbers. Hamison makes up the rear, just not enough years bowling well

ImpatientLime

International Regular
gough
flintoff
hoggard
caddick
harmison

no time for harmison. feasted on some **** teams.

gough clealry underrated post retirement because he's such a *********. had some superb performances away to australia in 98/99 and was instrumental during hussain's key wins which helped turned english cricket around, away to sri lanka, pakistan and at home to the west indies.

hoggard also became a lot more rounded the more he played. his performance in adelaide in 06/07 a big example of this. seriously deadly when it was hooping.

caddick was superb for a period with gough but also struggled with the mental side of the game like harmison.

freddie was freddie. icon, inspiration, never backed down from a battle, bowled a yard too short.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I sort of meant bowlers.

Over the last few years I've been aware of Anderson and Broad pulling away from this group statistically when it looked for a while like these were the best figures an England bowler could put up.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain

I reckon Goughy was the best of them, followed by Hoggard and Flintoff. I think Caddick is remembered a lot more fondly now than when he was in the team due to his tendency to perform in dead rubbers. Hamison makes up the rear, just not enough years bowling well
Gough....easily
Hoggard
Flintoff
Caddick
Harmison

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Bowling only,

Gough
Hoggard
Harmison
Flintoff
Caddick

Including batting bump Fred up to second spot.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gus Fraser better than all of them (except maybe Goughie)
Crying shame he had such a bad injury. To still have a better average than the rest despite being a far lesser bowler after the injury than before shows how good he was. We still made him the scapegoat too often though and dropped him on far too many occasions.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
All of them inferior to Australian bowlers of their time.
When the bowlers in question are McGrath and Gillespie though, that's not really a massive slight.

For me I'd go:

Gough
Flintoff
Hoggard
Caddick
Harmison

Fred a better all-weather bowler than Hoggy and less of a second innings bully than Candy.

Harmison arguably had the most potential of all of them, but also seemed the most emotionally fragile too. Always seemed to get a little homesick when he ventured south of South Shields.

Shri

Mr. Glass

Oh **** off. Flintoff's wickets and average are wrong there and I got excited about picking him in the draft.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Flintoff
Harmison
Hoggard
Gough
Caddick

Try as I might I can't ignore the fact that I am unable to now listen to talkSPORT on my way home from work because Gough is such a ****ing tool - still at least the CW podcast has filled part of the gap, for which I am most grateful

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Crying shame he had such a bad injury. To still have a better average than the rest despite being a far lesser bowler after the injury than before shows how good he was. We still made him the scapegoat too often though and dropped him on far too many occasions.
Imo he was the best English bowler since John Snow.

Hoggard
Gough
Flintoff
Harmison
Caddick