• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

PilgrimMeister

Cricket Spectator
For those mentioning the English pitches this year and the high scores, that is mainly that so far, it has been quite a dry year and not a lot of rain by usual standards. This has caused pitches and outfields to become dry, thus creating a nice batting surface that lasts a full 5 days instead of breaking up and outfields that are like lightening. Later in the summer if it stays dry, I wouldn't be surprised if some pitches develop cracks and break up on days 4 and 5 for the South Africa series.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Some will come back and then we will see bunch of guys playing the white ball cricket vs Ireland, Scotland and the dutch. I think we will still see some old heads carve up runs and wickets against these sides. I don't think I will be watching much. Likely just the highlights.
I'm figuring if we do well in the LO stuff (and by rights we should wipe the floor with em) they'll just go "see, were not bad, just a blip" and nothing will change

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Fair play to England, they had a blinder of a series. There were positions in each test where we should've put them away but England were wise to realise we didn't have a plan B and exploited our shortcomings, thoroughly deserved to win since we couldn't put the brakes on Bairstow et al. He's kind of overshadowed Roots immense contributions as well, who was the real MVP.

As for NZ, I think nzfan posted Bracewell shouldn't be blamed, which is true and fair. He didn't single handedly lose the series for us, but his selection is kind of emblematic of all the failures on this tour which need addressing. Some of those are selection issues, some are man management issues I E. Both captains don't know how to bowl spinners. Other things seem more basic, like we've had the same bowling plan since about 2014, with the only variable being whether or not Wagner exploits something when Southee and Boult come up short. And if he doesn't, the scrutiny is on Wagner and not the new ball duo, who are seemingly untouchable.

Worrying signs from the top order as well. If Latham didn't score 78 here then iirc none of the top 4 wouldn't have gone past 50 in the entire series, which is just absolutely shocking. All hail Daryl and I'm happy to eat my words about Blundell. Also highlights how much we miss CdGs part time control as well as power hitting - could see him playing a Bairstow-esque innings to give a bigger lead on this flat pitch, for instance.

I still think this tour is worse than the Aussie one. Sure, the Aussie one would've been a side at our peak (Taylor, Watling et al) but it was more hopeful than expected. We outplayed England last summer with our B team so was fully expecting a series win, with 2-1 at worst, 2-0 and a draw likely. Unlike in Aus when we never seemed in with a chance, we could've won all 3 of these games but pissed them all away.

I just don't know with the management anymore. They seem kind of invested in new players (Ravindras brief stint) but seem content on forever bringing in 30 something's to fill gaps because it's worked with a few players. Sigh.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I'm figuring if we do well in the LO stuff (and by rights we should wipe the floor with em) they'll just go "see, were not bad, just a blip" and nothing will change
And picking players based on these tours for the world cup or for future is going to be highly questionable.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There was a good discussion on Sky Sport before play yesterday about how NZ failed to adapt to the different conditions in English cricket this year. Last summer was wet and overcast and swing was king. This summer it's been hot, dry, the pitches have generally been very flat and the Duke's been acting up as well. Last summer going in with an all swing-focused attack and a token spinner for Edgbaston was a winning strategy. This year it largely failed (except in the first innings at Lord's).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Worrying signs from the top order as well. If Latham didn't score 78 here then iirc none of the top 4 wouldn't have gone past 50 in the entire series, which is just absolutely shocking.
Agreed with all your other comments, but Young and Conway both got 50s in the 2nd test.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Just watched the highlights here in NZ. I never thought I would say this but I’m impressed, England. What a statement. I am happy be a cross border fan.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a disgrace. It's bad enough to get pumped at 4.5-5rpo once in a test series, for it to happen essentially every dig speaks volumes about where NZ is as a side atm. As a neutral, was really looking forward to this series and it's been pathetic from the visitors with the ball. It would actually be more excusable if they'd collapsed repeatedly to Broad-Anderson in their conditions, but that didn't happen and they posted at least reasonable totals to bowl at.

Minnow-standard stuff from the bowlers though, Boult excepted. The sort of scores you expected when Waugh's side played a series against Zimbabwe or something back in the early 2000s. Just junk from an established test nation which was on top of the world just last year.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair. Such is the woes of our batting that those don't register in the memory. Still, 3 50s from 30 chances from the top 5 is pretty ****.
Your batting didn't lose you the series though. My man Darryl Mitchell and Blundell at least meant there were half way decent totals posted. The bowling was barely grade standard though. Fer shame.

Flem274*

123/5
The bowling descended into a parody of what Facebook comments claim NZ are in "debates". Terrible performances from guys with past good results on far more challenging pitches in Asia or even day 5 NZ.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That actually looks like a fun summer. And very nice getting an extra couple of tests v England (and in the middle of actual summer too!). Really hope the day-night test is a success.
Significant bias towards Hagley Oval again. One T20 for Dunedin. 1 Test, 2 ODIs and 5 T20s for Christchurch. No ODIs for Wellington - we do get two Tests, but I understood one of those is to make up for the theft of the South Africa Test from this year.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway congrats England, the better team this series. Will be interested to see how Bazball goes over the next few, seems just what this team needs right now though.

Three large and very successful fourth innings chases in a row also lifts the bar worldwide yet again on what is achievable (at least in countries where pitches don't break up much), on the back of the last decade where large chases have already become far more common. Will influence the way all captains make declarations, not just NZ and England imo.