• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
thomas and zalatoris in a playoff at the pga...got to feel for pereira, in the lead most of saturday and sunday and to lose it on the 72nd hole with a messy double has to be heartbreaking...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just got back from a golf weekend in Byron Bay with some mates I used to play junior golf with. We played Ballina and Byron courses over the Friday and Saturday, with Byron being the highlight. It is in magnificent condition, despite the rain. Somehow I managed to take the bikkies ($30) on Friday, despite having not played a round of golf for around 10 months. I started the day by birdying the first and took out the front 9. My mate who plays off +1 then stormed back on the back 9 and I was 1 up with 2 to play on handicap. I proceeded to roll in a 25 footer from off the green for birdie on the 17th (for which he called me a ****), and then rolled in a 15 footer for birdie again on the last to take the 18 hole prize by 2 shots.

At Byron on the Saturday I took the front 9 again, but the back 9 was rained out. Hit some cracking shots, including a 7 iron to 6 feet on the par 3 next to the entrance road and a 4 hybrid straight at the pin 180m uphill into the wind on the hardest hole (went through the back of the green). I didn't miss a shot badly until the 2nd last hole before we got rained out in a downpour. Couldn't putt to save my life though - 3 putt from 6 feet on the abovementioned par 3 and never got close to sinking one all day at Byron. The complete opposite to the day before.

Was a top weekend, and I'm going to have to get out to have a hit more often to keep the ball-striking going.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're both pretty decent tracks aren't they? Have you played Ocean Shores at all?

Good to hear they've held up ok despite all the rain .

Son Of Coco

They're both pretty decent tracks aren't they? Have you played Ocean Shores at all?

Good to hear they've held up ok despite all the rain .
They are. Ballina was a bit soggy underfoot. Moreso than Byron, although when we finished up there on the 16th on Saturday, it took about 2 minutes for the green we'd just played on to be half-covered with pools of water, and as we were heading back to the clubhouse, streams of water were cutting across the fairways. I thought we were going to get stuck and not be able to get through one of the shallow drains on the side of the fairways to get back.

I used to play Ocean Shores fairly often when I was a junior. They had the Northern Rivers championships there one year, and the 9th (or 18th!?) green was so fast, you either holed it or were off the green from above the hole. We had a great time there watching one of our mates putt off the green 3 times. I also used to find it tricky to judge distance there. I'd second-guess the markers as the big greens make them look closer. Now, with GPS, it's not so much of an issue.

social

Sucka!

I played recently at Royal Pines after a year break

Birdied the 18th after hacking it everywhere

I am back baybee

Son Of Coco

Sucka!

I played recently at Royal Pines after a year break

Birdied the 18th after hacking it everywhere

I am back baybee
Haha you always birdie the 18th. It's what brings you back. Nice course at Royal Pines. I haven't played there for years. The last time might have been after the Ladies Masters many years back. Again in the rain with flooded bunkers.

grecian

Linn Grant doing an incredible job in this mixed Tournament, should be the story of this weekend, but the LIV thing overshadows all.
No need to be sad Magrat, hopefully I'm wrong and it can gain some traction, amazing performance.

She will have to be sensible and choose the right courses to play on the mens tour, if she has to go off the mens tees. St Andrews maybe okay.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
nine strokes certainly shows a magic putter, even if she played off the ladies' tees in this format?

good for a weekend's entertainment, i think if they make it too regular then the bureaucrats and bean-counters will start demanding tee adjustments when the women play too well

grecian

nine strokes certainly shows a magic putter, even if she played off the ladies' tees in this format?

good for a weekend's entertainment, i think if they make it too regular then the bureaucrats and bean-counters will start demanding tee adjustments when the women play too well
She's pretty long, so she was getting very close to some of the par 4s off the tee, still a great achievement, but she had alot of short putts for birdie, and interesting that the next woman in the field was 15 shots behind her, but yeah she has a two-year exemption on the Mens European tour now.

So yeah very interesting how she uses this, I think she'd be best to concentrate on the big Women's Tournament and just plays the right male ones, interesting as i'm sure the Yanks will want her to play over there. Yet she doesn't want to be playing some of those monster TPC's, not yet anyway.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
decent leaderboard at the u.s open at the halfway mark, some unknowns in the mix, should hopefully resolve itself by sunday...none of the liv ****ers are that close to the top, would be great if none of them make a run over the weekend...

grecian

It looks fun, I have a few backed up there so I should more than make my money back, Bradley would probably win me most, but for a more mild win and patriotism I'm hoping fitz can do it.

Burns McIlroy could be fun.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
bradley has faded away, so has rahm and rory has stalled, all are well out of it, between scheffler, zalatoris and fitzpatrick now...actually hideki making a good run today, bogey-free 5 under so far...

Last edited: