• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought Anderson was starting to look pretty tired in his final spell yesterday. That first hour is crucial. Breakthrough, and England still have a strong chance of keeping the target to under 300. But if Mitchell and Blundell survive, a 400+ target starts looking like a real possibility.
NZ has too many already

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
England could chase down 250, but it would require something epic from Root and Stokes. Southee and Boult have a pretty good record of defending 250+ targets.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
How good is Boult though. I feel like he's back on an upswing. I think we'll see him take like a ridiculous 7fer this series

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
It's entertaining. Just not sure it's going to work for him though unless he sends them through 5kph faster, or gives it a lot more air to give it a chance to bounce. He does put lots of revs on it and get drift so his bowling's not without its merits.
Kuldeep has a similar problem in test cricket.
This guy should do well in LOIs where wrist spinners are making hay in general. That flight, drift and pace at which he bowls will deceive many batsmen who come down the wicket.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I've only watched the 25min highlight package so he might have dropped in a few good deliveries but Mitchell and Blundell seemed to be able to hang on the back foot against Parkinson and work him away with ease. I think it's generally agreed he's too slow through the air but was he also too short today?

I hasten to add I'm willing to give him a break considering he didn't have what you'd call a standard test build-up.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've only watched the 25min highlight package so he might have dropped in a few good deliveries but Mitchell and Blundell seemed to be able to hang on the back foot against Parkinson and work him away with ease. I think it's generally agreed he's too slow through the air but was he also too short today?
As someone who was also considered too slow through the air for the nose-bleed grade I often played later in my 'career', I often found I could look too short if batsmen just sat on the back foot and waited for my big turning lollipops to sit up, even if my pitch map would've looked great. It's almost an illusory symptom of being too slow.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I thought the same. They were coming down to meet him with ease too.

Deserves more than a game perhaps (though I rate Leach) but has something to work on. Still a very young guy.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Watched till Blundell got to 50 last night... both are hopefully going to go on the honors board with hundred to their names. Hopefully Ajaz will spin a web and knock England over.

There is a lot of fight in this side like usual, I was starting to doubt that after our first inning.

Aritro

International Regular
As someone who was also considered too slow through the air for the nose-bleed grade I often played later in my 'career', I often found I could look too short if batsmen just sat on the back foot and waited for my big turning lollipops to sit up, even if my pitch map would've looked great. It's almost an illusory symptom of being too slow.
Yeah was thinking something like this really. I'm a glacially slow-medium, and fodder for any natural back foot player who works out they can just hang back and wait for it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah was thinking something like this really. I'm a glacially slow-medium, and fodder for any natural back foot player who works out they can just hang back and wait for it.
Yeah my ceiling as a spinner was bascially batsmen who had the reaction time to get down the pitch to full/length balls and stay back and flog anything else. The antidote to this is of course subtle changes in flight/pace, but it can only get you so far.

I stan Parkinson because he's the Test cricket version of 'lmao you can't promote Cribb even though he's averaging 9' but I feel the step up and the subsequent sadness. I had a gun coach who has since moved up the ranks help me bowl quicker but I was never going to make it, especially since I was a fat ****.

The easiest advice is to tell young spinners to get it 'up and down as quickly as possible' - that means that if they're bowling darts you can tell them they're not getting it up at all. Raising your ceiling is just as important as actually reaching it in that way.

Last edited: