• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of WicketKeeper-Batsmen (Tests)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
As the OP has abandoned it and L&L doesn’t want to take it on I’ll suggest taking the current 8 and adding Marsh and Sanga who have a clear lead to make a top 10 and ending it there. It’s an okay list based on the criteria of combining the skills and having a degree of proficiency at both, although a couple stretch the criteria to the outer limits.

The List
1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Alan Knott
3. BJ Watling
4. Les Ames
5. Ian Healy
6. John Waite
7. MS Dhoni
8. Farokh Engineer
9. Rod Marsh
10. Kumar Sangakkara

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Misleading. Gilchrist was an excellent keeper. Pretty confident that Dhoni and McCullum were too.

You can't lump those guys in with the rest on that list

edit: You've even got Boucher on that second list who was not as good a keeper as half those on the first list. Looks like you've just separated them on how good at batting they were rather than anything to do with keeping skills
Even Sangakkara was an excellent keeper and dominated limited overs game as one. Same goes for Mushfiqur Rahim. However he was not the best keeper during his time in SL. Jayawardene was. Same with Dhoni. Saha was a better keeper, but vastly inferior batsman. I am sure Aussies must have had some keepers better than Gilchrist but useless with the bat. Stewart and Russell competed for keepers position.

And I have acknowledged that Gilly can be in both lists if you have missed it.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
As the OP has abandoned it and L&L doesn’t want to take it on I’ll suggest taking the current 8 and adding Marsh and Sanga who have a clear lead to make a top 10 and ending it there. It’s an okay list based on the criteria of combining the skills and having a degree of proficiency at both, although a couple stretch the criteria to the outer limits.

The List
1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Alan Knott
3. BJ Watling
4. Les Ames
5. Ian Healy
6. John Waite
7. MS Dhoni
8. Farokh Engineer
9. Rod Marsh
10. Kumar Sangakkara
Is Kumar Sangakkara in top 10 keepers? absolutely not. Is he the 10th in the list where batsmen became keepers? Absolutely not. He is numero uno there.

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
I think it was expected when you lumped batsmen - keepers and keeper batsmen together.

Gilly, Sanga, Flower, QdK, ABdV, Dhoni, Pant, Chandimal, McCullum, Rahim, Stewart, Wade et al needs to be graded seperately, because they are batsmen that kept. They were not the best glovemen for their countries and made the side on the sheer weight of the runs they make.

Dujon, Healy, Knott, Jayawardene, Boucher, Kirmani, Latif, R. Marsh, Russell, Tallon, Saha etc were infact best glovemen for their respective countries. What ever they scored were bonus. Gilchrist could be added to this list too.
Evans,Oldfield,Grout were great gloveman as well.Blackham too,The first great gloveman.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even Sangakkara was an excellent keeper and dominated limited overs game as one. Same goes for Mushfiqur Rahim. However he was not the best keeper during his time in SL. Jayawardene was. Same with Dhoni. Saha was a better keeper, but vastly inferior batsman. I am sure Aussies must have had some keepers better than Gilchrist but useless with the bat. Stewart and Russell competed for keepers position.

And I have acknowledged that Gilly can be in both lists if you have missed it.
So you're separating them based on whether they were the best keeper in their country, not how good their keeping actually was? If so that's fair enough I guess but I don't rely see the point.

However I have a hard time believing that Boucher was the best keeper in SA. Very handy batsman though

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
As most would be aware, I'm using this list (together with the Openers, Batsmen, Pace Bowlers, Spinners and All-Rounder lists) to compile ATG XIs. I was aiming at 10-12 but will have to stop at 9 (Sanga already being selected as a batsman).

To streamline the addition of 3 more names could members nominate the next best 3 Keepers (batting ability irrelevant) in order.

Mine would be: Tallon, Evans, Oldfield

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not going to add names to the Wicketkeeper/Batsmen List as I wouldn't feel comfortable having a name like Tallon listed below those voted in. However, you have given me names for my All Time XI thread so I can extend the teams. On a 3, 2, 1 basis Don Tallon (12) heads Godfrey Evans (6) with Taylor, Bari, Russell and Cameron all with 3. A few more votes would be appreciated to define the places behind Tallon and Evans.

bagapath

International Captain
a man effected 150 dismissals as a keeper and he averaged 53 with the bat in those games. he does not show up in this list of batsmen wk. why do we even complain that the world is full of bs?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
a man effected 150 dismissals as a keeper and he averaged 53 with the bat in those games. he does not show up in this list of batsmen wk. why do we even complain that the world is full of bs?
I'm sure if we had extended the voting beyond a Top Ten for Wicketkeeper-Batsmen that he (I'm assuming Andy Flower) would have been included. As it was he probably should rank higher than some on that list of 10. Subsequent discussions and opinions has been about pure 'keeping talent and there can be no denying those mentioned.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Misleading. Gilchrist was an excellent keeper. Pretty confident that Dhoni and McCullum were too.

You can't lump those guys in with the rest on that list

edit: You've even got Boucher on that second list who was not as good a keeper as half those on the first list. Looks like you've just separated them on how good at batting they were rather than anything to do with keeping skills
No it isn't. Stewart, Chandimal and Rahim were also genuinely class keepers. They just gave it for being anchoring bats in their sides. There is nothing to separate Gilchrist on keeping abilities with the rest. Infact deVilliers probably was the best keeper out of them. Can add Dilshan too, a superb keeper, due to his batting, ground fielding and bowling he was wanted to be out of the keeping slot.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

The List
1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Alan Knott
3. BJ Watling
4. Les Ames
5. Ian Healy
6. John Waite
7. MS Dhoni
8. Farokh Engineer
9. Rod Marsh
10. Kumar Sangakkara
Shocking to find Sangakkara making the list but not Prasanna Jayawardene