• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Melbourne - December 26 - 30

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And who do you replace Root with? Stokes might be a better tactician but the guy just had time out from the international game for his mental health, and he's looked absolutely cooked in this series. I'm almost certain that would be a bad idea. Who else is there? No one else commands a spot, unless they're a bowler and there's no captains in there.
I mean, you gotta make a call. I would go with Stokes. And even if you wanna retain Root on the basis of him being the only certainty in the test XI, I would at least change Silverwood. Surely there is no excuse when you have a fast bowler as a coach and he oversees the breakdown of some of your best assets?

Shri

Mr. Glass
i think stokes is bullheaded enough to drop anderson/broad if they don't follow the plans and pitch it up

Shri

Mr. Glass
sad about this:

Boland to Bairstow, 1 run
slashed off the back foot and dropped in the gully! It's the stringbean Green, diving to his left, and getting both hands to it too! Bairstow flashed hard, which may have saved him, but very catchable by his standards
green's first drop in gully?

srbhkshk

International Captain
it's almost as if these things are judged by watching the game. shocking i know.
Let us all be totally honest, is there anyone who didn't expect this to happen?
Playing test cricket in Australia is just a total waste of time, and I look forward to the day test cricket is banned there.
That may not happen, but in effect it can if teams decide to boycott test matches there.
This may sound harsh on Australia, but after watching England play , it just isn't cricket.
On day 1, after each ball landed on the pitch a huge aww no came up from the lips of Joe Root, and so it went for every ball left in the test.
In reality just a joke, pitches in the back yard are more reliable.
Are there others who think the same or am I just thinking too deep about it all?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean, you gotta make a call. I would go with Stokes. And even if you wanna retain Root on the basis of him being the only certainty in the test XI, I would at least change Silverwood. Surely there is no excuse when you have a fast bowler as a coach and he oversees the breakdown of some of your best assets?
Stokes is no doubt a better tactician - Root is hopeless. I just don't know how that would sit on Stokes' shoulders.

As for Silverwood, a no-brainer. This tour has been a shambles. And they caked it in the T20 World Cup semi as well.

Spark

Global Moderator
Playing test cricket in Australia is just a total waste of time, and I look forward to the day test cricket is banned there.
That may not happen, but in effect it can if teams decide to boycott test matches there.
This may sound harsh on Australia, but after watching England play , it just isn't cricket.
On day 1, after each ball landed on the pitch a huge aww no came up from the lips of Joe Root, and so it went for every ball left in the test.
Are there others who think the same or am I just thinking too deep about it all?
v good this

Spark

Global Moderator
Stokes is no doubt a better tactician - Root is hopeless. I just don't know how that would sit on Stokes' shoulders.

As for Silverwood, a no-brainer. This tour has been a shambles. And they caked it in the T20 World Cup semi as well.
What I don't get is why Root seems to be being made to do all these things and make all these decisions on his own? Like where is the support from the backroom staff and the senior players in these bowling plans, fielding changes, etc? We can already see in this series, and Cummins has admitted, that Smith is basically the one setting the fields half the time anyway, and it's abundantly clear that he's getting a lot of help from the backroom staff based on how often they change tactics or drastically improve their bowling plans immediately after a break, so why can't England do similar and bring in much more input in from Stokes etc for the tactical and leadership stuff? But at least as far as I can see, apart from Anderson and Broad more or less setting their own fields, it's mostly Root doing it on his own.

I don't think Root has to be sacked but a lot of other people need to step up and take the workload off him if so.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I do wonder if Anderson secretly or not is a tad pissed about him not getting to captain England and as such is not helping Root with the captaincy as much as he could.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
What I don't get is why Root seems to be being made to do all these things and make all these decisions on his own? Like where is the support from the backroom staff and the senior players in these bowling plans, fielding changes, etc? We can already see in this series, and Cummins has admitted, that Smith is basically the one setting the fields half the time anyway, and it's abundantly clear that he's getting a lot of help from the backroom staff based on how often they change tactics or drastically improve their bowling plans immediately after a break, so why can't England do similar and bring in much more input in from Stokes etc for the tactical and leadership stuff? But at least as far as I can see, apart from Anderson and Broad more or less setting their own fields, it's mostly Root doing it on his own.

I don't think Root has to be sacked but a lot of other people need to step up and take the workload off him if so.
Absolutely right. The fact that it took Root until after the 2nd Test to actually say to his bowlers they were bowling too short, and to the batsmen that they weren't leaving well enough...both were obvious on the first day of the series. He's clearly getting **** all good help from that group. As much as we say his tactics for Leach were dire when he first came on in this Test (and they were), surely that's not just something that Joe Root has thought of on the spot or by themselves. Surely that is a directive as part of the coaching staff etc? Because it was utterly ****, and everyone has to wear that.

I'm not a 'Root must go' person either. There has to be someone clearly better to take over, and that doesn't mean Stokes because Brad Haddin said he was a better tactician for the hour Root was off the field. At the moment, Root is about the only choice because at least he leads by weight of runs.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

If the support staff aren't doing that, then there's no reason for them to be there. You'd think it'd be a massive part of the job, so if they're opting out, the ECB might as well save themselves some money and piss them off. Maybe Root wants to be completely in charge, but I'd doubt it given he's also shouldering the burden of doing 90% of the team's batting. I have to admit though, I was surprised when Anderson said they needed to be told their lengths are wrong during the tests rather than after them. I would have thought a bowler would be able to work this out themselves during the match anyway. Grade cricketers do it, so why wouldn't professionals? Yes, support staff should chime in, but something like bowling lengths I thought would be an each way bet between players and staff.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha what was the original reference to this?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What I don't get is why Root seems to be being made to do all these things and make all these decisions on his own?
There’s always a million helpers when you’re winning. They all **** off and leave you to it when it goes bad.