• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test at Adelaide - 16 to 20 Dec

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean, England are world-beating at making horrendous selection and toss-based decisions on Ashes tours, so I'm not saying they won't do all that, or open with Bairstow, or fly Darren Stevens out, or whatever they may end up doing. Will be exciting to see

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting made some pretty decent points about Root's inability as captain to tell Broad and Anderson to bowl different lengths int he first innings.

Plainly a team with internal problems. This tour is really resembling 2013-14 now. KP was plainly right about their pig headedness and big headedeness. Think they're bigger than the team. Pathetic.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting made some pretty decent points about Root's inability as captain to tell Broad and Anderson to bowl different lengths int he first innings.

Plainly a team with internal problems. This tour is really resembling 2013-14 now. KP was plainly right about their pig headedness and big headedeness. Think they're bigger than the team. Pathetic.
That's always been the case with England. There's always been that 'alpha' group of Broad, Anderson, Swann, Prior etc, the golf group that would bag **** on the rest of them, snarl when they drop catches, and generally make it nigh-on impossible for anyone outside that group who wasn't ultra-talented or ultra-arrogant (or both, with KP) to make it. Seemed to work in the era of Strauss and Vaughan because the majority of the XI were established stars, but not now.

And **** me if the saying 'takes one to know one' doesn't apply to KP. The bloke who tweets dumb **** like saying England should just come down and wack Lyon because he's a finger spinner who only turns it one way.

Burgey

And **** me if the saying 'takes one to know one' doesn't apply to KP. The bloke who tweets dumb **** like saying England should just come down and wack Lyon because he's a finger spinner who only turns it one way.
That's precisely how finger spinners should be dealt with though. Even more so fingers spinners who don't turn it like Jadeja.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That's precisely how finger spinners should be dealt with though. Even more so fingers spinners who don't turn it like Jadeja.
Well maybe, but only if you've practiced that way. And moreso the RHers.

These guys don't have the temperament/swagger to do that. KP did. It'd just end up looking like Ollie Robinson's reverse sweep in the first Test.

morgieb

All of you whine about selections in your selection whinging threads but nothing will ever come close to Asad Shafiq keeping out Fawad Alam for a ****ing decade.
Hell, you could also have easily moved Azhar to opener as well to fit Fawad in.

TheJediBrah

Everything I've heard about Broad and Anderson portrays them as almost incomprehensibly toxic. Can't be a fun team environment to be around.

morgieb

I'm not sure they will. Australia was about this good the last 2 times they went to the UAE and got smoked.
Last time Australia were missing all of Smith, Warner, Hazlewood and Cummins and Marnus was still a rookie. The current side is comfortably ahead of that one.

2014 had the Darren Lehmann factor. Say what you will about Langer, he does at least seem to understand that you can't play the same way in Australia to the subcontient.

Spark

Global Moderator
The sort of genius thinking that gets one caught at long on trying to hit a six despite it being late on Day 4 in a game you're trying to save to keep the series alive and a bloke in his second game at the other end.

halba

International 12th Man
You've had some very entertaining takes, I have to say, and in the context of everything else you've said this isn't that controversial but do you really think Bess would be less hittable than Leach? Bess has less control, and historically these Aussies have been better against off-spin than left-arm spin. If Leach would get spanked, Bess would get double-spanked.
Ta. It may not make any difference. The funny thing was Nasser called Lyon a wonderful spinner. That shows how poor the English spinners are in these conditions. Lyon is no Warne!

Shri

Mr. Glass
tbh KP had the ability to do it successfully to any spinner even if it was turning square

halba

International 12th Man
And Bess wasn’t even selected. He’s utter tripe. Have you actually seen him bowl?
yep i checked him. hes not very good either. agree. theres an issue here with the lack of a quality spinner.

travis head ensured leach doesnt get picked again i feel.

england are missing a truly fast impact bowler like jofra, who can actually win games on his own.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The sort of genius thinking that gets one caught at long on trying to hit a six despite it being late on Day 4 in a game you're trying to save to keep the series alive and a bloke in his second game at the other end.
I can't get my finger on when this happened....