• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test at Adelaide - 16 to 20 Dec

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
I still think Jhye is the best bowler on either side in this game. Only way he plays next Test is if Haze isn't fit yet or Starc is "rested"
nah that first innings was pretty ordinary from him. Starc led the bowling well in this game without the other 2. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders though and i get the feeling both him and Neser will do well in England or Nzl.

sunilz

International Regular
To be fair, the way they batted in this game in particular was a template for attritional cricket. Imagine a Lehmann side being willing to bat at under 3rpo for the best part of 150 overs.

Labuschagne really is the key. I think the bowlers will be okay, though there are questions about the second spinner (I’m not convinced by Swepson), but Labuschagne holds that entire batting order together right now while Smith rediscovers his rhythm. He should be fine. But “should” and “will” are very different things until he actually goes and does it.

EDIT: I also feel that Labuschagne having a good tour of Pakistan could also be enough to deter India from preparing the sort of dustbowls they rolled out against England and SA. Having Smith and Labuschagne in form would just be too big a risk to take in that regard.
Williamson averages 64 in Pak/UAE and 33 in IND. I don't think IND will be deterred.

Spark

Global Moderator
Williamson averages 64 in Pak/UAE and 33 in IND. I don't think IND will be deterred.
The deterrent won’t really be that, it’ll be what Smith did in 2017 and the possibility that he does that with Labuschagne doing something similar, which means that Aus will always be a decent chance to scrape together 250 odd in the first innings which is basically a matchwinning score on a dustbowl, especially since Lyon has gotten better the more subcontinent tours he’s done. IMO in that case the safest course would be to prepare traditional subcontinent decks which are good for batting in the first two innings and very difficult in the third and fourth and back the depth of the Indian team to basically outlast Aus’s less experienced players.

That’s essentially how India won in 2017. Simply ended up outlasting Aus on the better pitches, exposing the lack of depth behind Smith in the batting, whereas on the complete dustbowls Smith was liable to win games on his own bat.

Number 11

State 12th Man
People go on about AUS roads. UAE has had some of the most boring and flat pitches in recent memory. Greatly looking forward to the return to Pakistan but what are the odds on it actually going ahead?

Xix2565

International Debutant
The deterrent won’t really be that, it’ll be what Smith did in 2017 and the possibility that he does that with Labuschagne doing something similar, which means that Aus will always be a decent chance to scrape together 250 odd in the first innings which is basically a matchwinning score on a dustbowl, especially since Lyon has gotten better the more subcontinent tours he’s done. IMO in that case the safest course would be to prepare traditional subcontinent decks which are good for batting in the first two innings and very difficult in the third and fourth and back the depth of the Indian team to basically outlast Aus’s less experienced players.

That’s essentially how India won in 2017. Simply ended up outlasting Aus on the better pitches, exposing the lack of depth behind Smith in the batting, whereas on the complete dustbowls Smith was liable to win games on his own bat.
I mean we still have opener Rohit and Mayank at home. Just need one of Vihari/Shreyas to get in finally and our lower order is stronger at home than Aus.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
God, I want nothing more than some random domestic offie with a slightly dodgy action to take a bag against Australia and then disappear. Would be so meme.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean we still have opener Rohit and Mayank at home. Just need one of Vihari/Shreyas to get in finally and our lower order is stronger at home than Aus.i
Yes, which is why it would be smarter to prepare good, traditional Indian pitches which demand a big first innings score rather than a dustbowl which one great batsman can basically win singlehandedly with one freak innings, especially if the opposition has a batsman with a history of doing just that.

God, I want nothing more than some random domestic offie with a slightly dodgy action to take a bag against Australia and then disappear. Would be so meme.
I mean you gotta expect it at this point.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Yes, which is why it would be smarter to prepare good, traditional Indian pitches which demand a big first innings score rather than a dustbowl which one great batsman can basically win singlehandedly with one freak innings, especially if the opposition has a batsman with a history of doing just that.

I mean you gotta expect it at this point.
Rohit singlehandedly won the 2nd Chennai Test vs Eng this year with the bat tbf when Axar/Ashwin ran through Eng, so I don't particularly fear that odd Pune 2017/Chennai 2021 (Root's double) kind of performance given this side is legitimately batdeep at home.

Edit: Not to say you're wrong when you're completely right regarding pitch prep, but in India I'd back this current side to do well regardless unless they collectively brainfade into dust (Ahmedabad pink ball style).

Woah, woah, you guys have to get the Axar Patel treatment first. No backing out here.

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
However I do think series in IND will be highly competitive if AUS manage to atleast draw against PAK.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

None of the tracks against RSA or Eng were like Pune 2017, which really was the only dustbowl even in that series. The tracks were spin friendly in the Bangalore 2017, Chennai and Mumbai 2021 but nothing more than a regular seaming wicket you might see in SENA. The red soil tracks have good but even bounce and pace which exemplifies the natural spin those tracks provide. Think we will see similar surfaces against Australia.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pakistan doesn't get to doctor pitches in UAE
I am pretty sure Misbah had a lot of say in the tracks they got there in the 10s. They are still technically home games for Pak and I think PCB gotta ask what sort of track they wanted from the curators. Of course, there maybe a limit to what those tracks can do naturally compared to what you get in Pak but I am pretty sure Misbah asked and got the kind of tracks he wanted in UAE all the time.