• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test at Adelaide - 16 to 20 Dec

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
yep i checked him. hes not very good either. agree. theres an issue here with the lack of a quality spinner.

travis head ensured leach doesnt get picked again i feel.

england are missing a truly fast impact bowler like jofra, who can actually win games on his own.
It was Head ensuring England couldn't bowl Leach, which put larger loads on the other bowlers and also on Joe Root as captain. Head was the guy to do it, along with Warner as LHers. They did it a beauty, too. Also just another scratch on the wall for English spinners in Australia.

Spark

Global Moderator
I can't get my finger on when this happened....
Perth in 2013 in the 4th innings. Tried to hit Lyon out of the stadium just after tea when he was already well set and batting well, holed out.

(Was wrong about Stokes being at the other end though; Bell was)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watched a replay of KP scoring 227 against us recently

If you don’t think that he would have taken Lyon down then you haven’t been watching

He’s not everyone’s cup of tea but could seriously play

Spark

Global Moderator
Watched a replay of KP scoring 227 against us recently

If you don’t think that he would have taken Lyon down then you haven’t been watching

He’s not everyone’s cup of tea but could seriously play
I mean, there's a reason that very few batsmen have bombed Lyon back over his head with reliable success, including KP. The batsmen who have successfully dominated Lyon usually did so with the sweep, which for a while he had no idea how to deal with, or on the back foot, which is what India have done a lot.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean, there's a reason that very few batsmen have bombed Lyon back over his head with reliable success, including KP. The batsmen who have successfully dominated Lyon usually did so with the sweep, which for a while he had no idea how to deal with, or on the back foot, which is what India have done a lot.
KP averaged 70 against Lyon

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponting made some pretty decent points about Root's inability as captain to tell Broad and Anderson to bowl different lengths int he first innings.

Plainly a team with internal problems. This tour is really resembling 2013-14 now. KP was plainly right about their pig headedness and big headedeness. Think they're bigger than the team. Pathetic.
As if to hammer it in:

"Joe Root can come back and say whatever he likes but if you're captain, you've got to be able to sense when your bowlers aren't bowling where you want them to.

"And if they're not going to listen, you take them off, simple as that.

"Give someone else a chance that is going to do it for you. Or you have a really strong conversation with them on the field to tell them what you need.

"That's what captaincy is all about.

"Regardless of whether they have taken (more than) 1150 wickets between them – well, too bad.

"'I need you to bowl differently here to how you bowl in England, I need you to bowl differently to how you bowled four years ago, and if you're not willing to do it then I'll find someone that can' – that should have been the conversation five overs into day one.

"If they had that (conversation) maybe the result could have been different."
Seriously, imagine if Ponting was England's captain on that first day. He'd have been all but ripping heads off--er, "having a strong conversation" over the lengths they were bowling.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As if to hammer it in:

Seriously, imagine if Ponting was England's captain on that first day. He'd have been all but ripping heads off--er, "having a strong conversation" over the lengths they were bowling.
If Ponting was England's captain, KP would have never been thrown out, Andy Flower would have been thrown out and they would have lost in India in 2012, coz dats wat Ponting does. :p

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don’t get me wrong

Lyon has done incredibly well but he’s a finger spinner
Indeed. The red headed step-children of world cricket. You put up with them because you have to, but everyone knows they aren’t up there with the rest of the family.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting has a well-made point, but Anderson and Broad are well known divas. To me, he's launching the vitriol the wrong way. They have 1150 wickets between them so they shouldn't need to be told what length to bowl. Both have what, 5 Ashes tours behind them? To me, it's more on them for bowling an 'ego' length - one that flies through, hits the keeper's gloves nicely and doesn't go for runs, as opposed to that foot further up where they might get driven a few times but are also more likely to nick someone out.

Spark

Global Moderator
Going through the photos that I took on Day 3 (the only day where I actually remembered/bothered to bring my camera to the ground) and thought this one may be of interest to some people here. This is Green bowling to Woakes in the final session, just before the new ball.

adl1220_DSC0283.jpg

It's better than last year. But there's definitely still some misalignment between hips and shoulders on release.