• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test at Adelaide - 16 to 20 Dec

_00_deathscar

International Regular
England shouldn’t play Broad and Anderson together again IMO. They’re carrying two bunnies with the bat and two bowlers who can’t bowl long spells in one match.

Broad is also nowhere near the bowler he once was.

Anderson is still useful, especially at home.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jhye Richardson is disgustingly good, The real deal and the next big thing in fast bowling
pity he might be nearly 30 before he gets a full time gig if Starc keeps pulling out great home seasons to extend his career.

Hazelwood and Cummins are locked in for the next 4-5 years one feels

mr_mister

England shouldn’t play Broad and Anderson together again IMO. They’re carrying two bunnies with the bat and two bowlers who can’t bowl long spells in one match.

Bit rough calling Broad a bunny. Remember the 160 odd

Spark

Global Moderator
Steve was sitting on one of the physio benches staring into space; I walked into the room towards him and he didn’t register that anyone was there.

“I said, ‘How are you going?’ and he blinked and said, ‘Oh mate, I’m gone. I can’t sleep, I’m not eating. During a Test I can’t do anything. All I can do is play cricket and stagger back to my room.’

“He was a shell of a man by mid-December and that was a contributing factor to what we saw in South Africa a few months later.
This is incredibly alarming but also not remotely surprising. I remember that ODI series against England after the 17-18 Ashes and Smith looked utterly cooked. Made no runs and was totally disengaged in the field as a captain and the team got pounded as a result. Still angry that CA made him play that series, if ever a player needed to be rested from some JAMODIs, that was it.

And **** Lehmann, seriously. Clarke has to take some blame too for helping to create that culture.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
pity he might be nearly 30 before he gets a full time gig if Starc keeps pulling out great home seasons to extend his career.

Hazelwood and Cummins are locked in for the next 4-5 years one feels
Nah, you play him now and in every test match imo unless he goes the distance regularly. He is world-class. Don't think I've had this energy and vibe about a bowler since Steyn burst on to the scene in 06/07 and started decimating batting line-ups

Gob

International Coach
Link to the article is posted about but this is the gist of it
Chappell said the state of mind of Steve Smith leading into the series was another contributing factor to the scandal.

“Steve Smith was a shell of his former self,” Chappell wrote. “Having taken on the Test and ODI captaincy in 2015, Steve was also handed the T20 leadership for the World Cup in 2016.

“It’s particularly hard to captain a country in all three formats and Steve, a young leader, was having his mental and physical reserves drained away at a rate of knots.”

Chappell recounted a discussion he had with Smith during the 2017-18 Ashes series.

“Steve was sitting on one of the physio benches staring into space; I walked into the room towards him and he didn’t register that anyone was there.

“I said, ‘How are you going?’ and he blinked and said, ‘Oh mate, I’m gone. I can’t sleep, I’m not eating. During a Test I can’t do anything. All I can do is play cricket and stagger back to my room.’

“He was a shell of a man by mid-December and that was a contributing factor to what we saw in South Africa a few months later.

“It meant there was one less adult in the room. I’ve no doubt that whatever went on at Newlands went on around Steve, because I don’t believe he was even capable of participating in any kind of plot. He had become fatigued and withdrawn. I had a huge degree of empathy for Steve.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jeez England is missing Archer. He and Wood together in Brisbane and one of them in Adelaide is potentially a game changer, though it doesn’t really matter if you keep getting rolled so cheaply

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Nah, you play him now and in every test match imo unless he goes the distance regularly. He is world-class. Don't think I've had this energy and vibe about a bowler since Steyn burst on to the scene in 06/07 and started decimating batting line-ups
He’s not that good jeez…

Spark

Global Moderator
It also explains how he ended up doing that press conference after that benighted day that ended up causing so much damage, no human with their brain actually in working order would have thought that a good idea.

And once again, **** Lehmann. What's the point of a coach if he isn't willing to take the heat for his captain and players in that situation? There's a reason England rolled out the batting coach to do the press on Day 1 when they'd only bowled.

mr_mister

I very much agree, but all 3 of our quicks are household names and I can see them not losing their spots for years due to that

flibbertyjibber

Jeez England is missing Archer. He and Wood together in Brisbane and one of them in Adelaide is potentially a game changer, though it doesn’t really matter if you keep getting rolled so cheaply
Aussies would find a way to smuggle an extra 20 or 30 in a tight game. Our ceiling is always going to be around 400 runs a test unless Root gets a big ton. That just isn't enough runs against anyone.

Gob

International Coach
I very much agree, but all 3 of our quicks are household names and I can see them not losing their spots for years due to that
There are times when Starc bowled absolute puss though especially with the old red ball. First man picked with the pink obvs

Burgey

Clarke has to take some blame too for helping to create that culture
This is certainly true but I think much of it goes back to Waugh. Ponting’s team gets a lot of **** about its behaviour (mostly courtesy of the thankfully now dead kiddy fiddler Peter Roebuck) but Waugh’s side was many, many times worse imo

Spark

Global Moderator
Fair. Happen to think he is. Has exceptional skill and control allied with good pace
He makes the batsman play constantly at balls they don't want to play and gets bounce and movement from very little. Big question is just whether his shoulder and elbow can hold up long term

Shady Slim

International Coach
guy who gets that it's not defamation if they're dead unless you're in tassie
?
This is certainly true but I think much of it goes back to Waugh. Ponting’s team gets a lot of **** about its behaviour (mostly courtesy of now dead kiddy fiddler Peter Roebuck) but Waugh’s side was many, many times worse imo

halba

International 12th Man

on english pitches- is fine but on these pitches under a hot foreign sun, its always difficult for english bowlers....remember harmy and how he hated bowling overseas, im sure it applies to all of them. very hot, humid, foreign conditions akin to flat subcontinent minus the turn(adelaide). english bowlers bowl well under cool conditions and swing. aussie bowlers are used to toiling away in shield or in test cricket.

mr_mister

it's funny because Steve Waugh seems like such a mild mannered, shy man

the mental disintegration stuff was surely AB's baby