• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villers vs Michael Bevan vs Sachin Tendulkar

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly that 07 team is probably the closest thing to an all time world XI that has ever been fielded in ODIs.

Hayden
Gilchrist+
Ponting*
Symonds
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Bracken
Tait
McGrath

Lee was injured for that tournament but was really the only thing which could have strengthened that side. But it's the strongest ODI side I've ever witnessed on the park together for anything more than a one off world XI game, and I actually doubt too many of those sides have even been comparable.
It was a freakish culmination of talent. I'm not sure Lee would even have strengthened it. Yes he was much better than Tait, and a little better than Bracken but Tait was in an incredible (but very short) purple patch and I doubt Lee could have done better.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne did win it for Australia in 1999 though.
Yes he did. And my point is that he still had the 96 black mark against him.

I actually believe that Warne was the best ODI bowler because of his performances in 3/4 world cup finals/ semi finals that he participated in.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
One of the higlights of that WC for me was 37 year old Lara pulling 160 kph balls from Tait between mid on and midwicket for 4s. They said Lara would have a big dip because his game was so reliant on his eye too. :laugh: I think many in CW were very adamant that Ponting won't have a dip too at the end of his career.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bowlers ****ting the bed in a big game is way more embarrassing than batsmen. All you need is one great ball to get out no matter how well you're batting so batting performances have inherently more variance in quality. Tendulkar getting out to malinga after batting superbly for a few overs is way different to Zaheer bowling 60 garbage balls in a row trying to intimidate the big bad aussies with his express pace.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly, all of Warne, Saqlain and Murali had at least one performance in a world cup final that was not able to get their side across the line (and in Warne and Murali's case could have cost them the match entirely). Saqlain in 99 had the opportunity to make a statement about being the goat ODI spinner but couldn't. Warne in 96 and Murali in 07 both were disappointing and unable to dismiss the set batsman who was terrorising their side.

Honestly if we're looking at ODI world cup finals only the Hogg has a strong case to be considered the goat.
Hogg got lucky. Sanga and Jaya were pasting him before the rain break.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
One of the higlights of that WC for me was 37 year old Lara pulling 160 kph balls from Tait between mid on and midwicket for 4s. They said Lara would have a big dip because his game was so reliant on his eye too. :laugh: I think many in CW were very adamant that Ponting won't have a dip too at the end of his career.
In previous edition, it was 37 year old Aravinda taking on Lee at his fastest.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He played nice, but didn't hurt the opposition often enough. When got going he usually destroyed the opposition, but it happened very occasionbally, till he revived his career in mid 90s.

Himannv

International Coach
I feel like his game depended on his mood quite a bit. When he was in the mood to go after it, he'd do that more than he even needed to. If there was a car as a prize for Player of the Series, he'd be extra motivated and win it. At his peak he'd just score runs without even meaning to at times and just sort of bat on autopilot. He was a brilliant player and probably the best batsman we've had in terms of skill, but he could have been so much more.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Don't think it is a factor when you7 compare Murali, Warne and Saqlain. All three played at least part of their careers in ATG teams.
Saqlain performances disadvantaged from poor fielding support.
Warne's team was on another level, they won matches even before the first over.. It was like an alltime world 11.. Opponents were in constant pressure.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
And someone in a weaker team who turns up during the qualifying rounds and fails in the finals loses as well ala Tendulkar 1996 and 2003. Cricket has these injustices.

The point is that these knockout games are basically the highest level of pressure you will face in your ODI career. How well you do in them tells you something about the cricketer.
1996 SF Sachin played superbly and his wicket was the turning point.

2011 Final, ATG Sachin was finished way before that tournament.

2003 Final, huge pressure of chasing an impossible target against Mcgrath and Co.
In 90s, it was Sachin or none in such situations, he knows its only him capable of leveling run rate to the reach of other batsmen in the line up.. Many a times this prevented him to play his natural game. There was no other aggressive batsmen in the team to share the duty. Remember Princess Diana memorial match? Sachin played his natural game without that pressure.. 114 ball 125 against Donald and McGrath. In 2003 final, there was Yuvi and Sehwag... But they were still newbies (relatively )and no one was expecting them to turn the match. Sachin was supposed to attack from the word go. against a top tier ATG pacer.. That strategy wont work 9 out of 10 times.. Everyone knows.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I think he saw who he was facing and had a nihilistic sense of inevitability.
There was a sense of inevitability. More because of the target that had never been chased before; game was as good as done in first half so I don't think batters were feeling the kind of pressure they would if they were chasing a middling total. I am never the one take credit away from McGrath though who did get into Indian batters' head like almost no one did (except Donald possibly for 1-2 years)

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
There was a sense of inevitability. More because of the target that had never been chased before; game was as good as done in first half so I don't think batters were feeling the kind of pressure they would if they were chasing a middling total. I am never the one take credit away from McGrath though who did get into Indian batters' head like almost no one did (except Donald possibly for 1-2 years)
Mindless bashing.. Even worse

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Honestly that 07 team is probably the closest thing to an all time world XI that has ever been fielded in ODIs.

Hayden
Gilchrist+
Ponting*
Symonds
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Bracken
Tait
McGrath

Lee was injured for that tournament but was really the only thing which could have strengthened that side. But it's the strongest ODI side I've ever witnessed on the park together for anything more than a one off world XI game, and I actually doubt too many of those sides have even been comparable.
Did this team ever play with Lee instead of Tait (not just WC)? I know how well Tait did in the WC, but I am just curious about paper strength, and across formats, this may be the strongest team ever fielded. It has Clarke, who was only very good, and Hogg, who was only great, but everyone else could be said to be at least pushing for ATG status, and you would lose (at worst) almost nothing if you pushed any of these guys into an ATG XI, which you cant say about (eg.) peak aus or wi test teams.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did this team ever play with Lee instead of Tait (not just WC)? I know how well Tait did in the WC, but I am just curious about paper strength, and across formats, this may be the strongest team ever fielded. It has Clarke, who was only very good, and Hogg, who was only great, but everyone else could be said to be at least pushing for ATG status, and you would lose (at worst) almost nothing if you pushed any of these guys into an ATG XI, which you cant say about (eg.) peak aus or wi test teams.
In the lead up to that world cup this team played regularly. Lee got injured on the eve of the cup. McGrath, Lee, Bracken and Hogg were all averaging in the 20s (the quicks in the low 20s).

The batting order is a bit messed up because they would change it up to match the need of the situation. Clarke usually came in at 4 so the proper side was:

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Watson
Hussey
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

Which is simply an insane side.