• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villers vs Michael Bevan vs Sachin Tendulkar

subshakerz

International Coach
Take dew away, even then Ranatunga, Gurusinha and Tillekaratne had a penchant of bashing Warne.
i doubt Warne would have that bad a performance if not for dew. He was using the towel virtually every ball. Still think Sri Lanka would have won but it wouldnt be a cake walk.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Not a fan of this logic at all. They were such a good team because they generally all did "turn up" all the time. It's a misconception to think that being in a good team means you don't have to try as hard. If even a few of the players thought that way then they wouldn't be as good a team, that's what differentiated them.
Was it Gilchrist who was meh for most of the tournament then turned up big time in the final? That's what I mean - yea absolutely epic final performance but doing the same thing in another team means you don't even get to the final.

subshakerz

International Coach
Was it Gilchrist who was meh for most of the tournament then turned up big time in the final? That's what I mean - yea absolutely epic final performance but doing the same thing in another team means you don't even get to the final.
And someone in a weaker team who turns up during the qualifying rounds and fails in the finals loses as well ala Tendulkar 1996 and 2003. Cricket has these injustices.

The point is that these knockout games are basically the highest level of pressure you will face in your ODI career. How well you do in them tells you something about the cricketer.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok I see what you're saying. These games are still the pinnacle and most importnat to perform in though. Big game performances are a thing.

trundler

Murali was a wicket-taking machine but I cant seem to recall any big match performance from him in a long career. Hence my hesitation to put him in the spot.

Saqlain was magic but, as much as I am a fan of his, I believe he benefited from a period of the late 90s when batsmen simply hadn't adjusted to the doosra which almost became close to a stock ball of his in ODIs, so I am not sure he would be as successful had he played a decade later.

I think Warne should be in the conversation. Not the prettiest stats but three clutch World Cup knockout performances will always give him a case. Watching him in ODIs, I didn't feel he would run through a side but would take the most important wickets at the key moments.
Backwards logic imo. The doosra was to Saqlain's credit.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, agreed - Saqlain (possibly) inventing and (definitely) mastering a new type of delivery that batsmen of the time couldn't handle isn't an argument against him.

Jayro

U19 12th Man
Speaking of clutch innings esp. WRT wc's and relevant to the topic also Bevan atleast had two of them in 2003 WC which were characteristically Bevan, and I doubt if anybody could have able to do that if it was not for him and atleast one of them saved them from an exit.

TheJediBrah

Speaking of clutch innings esp. WRT wc's and relevant to the topic also Bevan atleast had two of them in 2003 WC which were characteristically Bevan, and I doubt if anybody could have able to do that if it was not for him and atleast one of them saved them from an exit.
Aus were never at risk of an exit until the finals, in which Bevan made a golden duck and a did not bat. His innings' against Eng and NZ were great though

OverratedSanity

And someone in a weaker team who turns up during the qualifying rounds and fails in the finals loses as well ala Tendulkar 1996 and 2003. Cricket has these injustices.
Tendulkar was consistently great in every single knockout phase he played in every world cup. Literally only failed in the two finals (which wasnt what you meant, seemed you referred to "finals" as the knockout rounds in totality).

TheJediBrah

Also Warne throws down over after over of absolute garbage in the 96 final but gets the "b-b-but he was hampered by the dew" excuse. Tendulkar was hampered by having to chase 350 billion runs against McGrath and Lee how about that. Shut the **** up. Bharat mata ki jai.
Don't care about the Tendulkar/Warne knockout discussion, but this is false equivalency

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly, all of Warne, Saqlain and Murali had at least one performance in a world cup final that was not able to get their side across the line (and in Warne and Murali's case could have cost them the match entirely). Saqlain in 99 had the opportunity to make a statement about being the goat ODI spinner but couldn't. Warne in 96 and Murali in 07 both were disappointing and unable to dismiss the set batsman who was terrorising their side.

Honestly if we're looking at ODI world cup finals only the Hogg has a strong case to be considered the goat.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There he is. GOAT Aus ODI spinner. Better bat and fielder than Warne too.
Honestly that 07 team is probably the closest thing to an all time world XI that has ever been fielded in ODIs.

Hayden
Gilchrist+
Ponting*
Symonds
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Bracken
Tait
McGrath

Lee was injured for that tournament but was really the only thing which could have strengthened that side. But it's the strongest ODI side I've ever witnessed on the park together for anything more than a one off world XI game, and I actually doubt too many of those sides have even been comparable.

subshakerz

International Coach
Honestly, all of Warne, Saqlain and Murali had at least one performance in a world cup final that was not able to get their side across the line (and in Warne and Murali's case could have cost them the match entirely). Saqlain in 99 had the opportunity to make a statement about being the goat ODI spinner but couldn't. Warne in 96 and Murali in 07 both were disappointing and unable to dismiss the set batsman who was terrorising their side.

Honestly if we're looking at ODI world cup finals only the Hogg has a strong case to be considered the goat.
Warne did win it for Australia in 1999 though.