• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villers vs Michael Bevan vs Sachin Tendulkar

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Watson was a couple years from becoming the player he was at his best though. Bit wasted at 7 too
It is mostly an academic, paper-side, question from me, rather than an actual team strength one. Depending on the day, Watson makes my world XI as an opener, so he is actually close to the strongest link in the meaningless question I am asking.

Agreed that he was pretty rubbish down the order early on.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is mostly an academic, paper-side, question from me, rather than an actual team strength one. Depending on the day, Watson makes my world XI as an opener, so he is actually close to the strongest link in the meaningless question I am asking.

Agreed that he was pretty rubbish down the order early on.
tbf in the 2007 WC he did average 145 at a SR of 170 batting at no. 7 :ph34r:

sunilz

International Regular
In the lead up to that world cup this team played regularly. Lee got injured on the eve of the cup. McGrath, Lee, Bracken and Hogg were all averaging in the 20s (the quicks in the low 20s).

The batting order is a bit messed up because they would change it up to match the need of the situation. Clarke usually came in at 4 so the proper side was:

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Watson
Hussey
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

Which is simply an insane side.
What was the team for ICC CT 2006 ?

TheJediBrah

Watson was a monster down the order. It's usually where I put him in my all time Aus team.
I don't think he really did it much, outside of the 07 WC. I recall a live game against the World XI in Melbourne where he made 60+ at the end of the innings, and took 4-for, pretty sure I was there. And he brutalised NZ in a game a the WC which is probably what you're thinking of.

TheJediBrah

Watto would have had incredible bodybuilding genetics. It's a real shame he spent his career playing cricket with as close to a dad-bod as he was capable of.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't think he really did it much, outside of the 07 WC. I recall a live game against the World XI in Melbourne where he made 60+ at the end of the innings, and took 4-for, pretty sure I was there. And he brutalised NZ in a game a the WC which is probably what you're thinking of.
Yeah probs. He's more versatile than some of the other guys for batting position, so I like him at #7.

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Jones
Bevan
Hussey
Watson

Truth360

Cricket Spectator
I would choose ABDV as my 1st choice without any doubt
His versatility
Playing impactfully in tough situations (middle order) puts him much ahead of Tendulkar
Also statistically Tendulkar's adjusted RPI & SR in 2009-2023 time period is
49 RPI & 97 SR (calculated using data science)
AB De Villiers adjusted RPI & SR in 2009-2023 time period is 47.5 RPI & 106 SR

Scoring as opener was very easy especially in 90s due to 15 overs powerplays

subshakerz

International Coach
I would choose ABDV as my 1st choice without any doubt
His versatility
Playing impactfully in tough situations (middle order) puts him much ahead of Tendulkar
Also statistically Tendulkar's adjusted RPI & SR in 2009-2023 time period is
49 RPI & 97 SR (calculated using data science)
AB De Villiers adjusted RPI & SR in 2009-2023 time period is 47.5 RPI & 106 SR

Scoring as opener was very easy especially in 90s due to 15 overs powerplays
You were facing top class bowlers though.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah probs. He's more versatile than some of the other guys for batting position, so I like him at #7.

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Jones
Bevan
Hussey
Watson
I rate Hayden, but I'd go:
Gilchrist
Watson
Ponting
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
Hussey

Also gives another bowling option and a GOAT fielder.