• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The alternative would be to actually do some hard news journalism about how awful actual politicians with their consequential decisions, lies and corruption, are. Nobody wants that.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The alternative would be to actually do some hard news journalism about how awful actual politicians with their consequential decisions, lies and corruption, are. Nobody wants that.
No no we can't have actual hard hitting journalism instead we need more attention on the yearly Australia Day debate or crystal dildo's and the spiritual benifits they provide for women.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also, I wonder whether the hyping up of this story is implicitly driven by unease within Oz cricket media and the like that Smith wants to return to captaincy? I suspect there's a feeling that going back to him is a mistake and regurgitating stories like this is a reminder of why that is so.
That was my thought too. Seemed very convenient to dredge it up as soon as Smith reassuming the captaincy firmed as a definite possibility.

Going back to him is a mistake, but not for the reasons the media would think.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They didn’t dredge it up though. It was an interview Bancroft did in a Pommy newspaper.

Shady Slim

International Coach
seeing all of these correct takes on smith's captaincy is a win for Shady Slim Thought but you're all getting part two of your inquiry wrong

1621649113916.png

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
They didn’t dredge it up though. It was an interview Bancroft did in a Pommy newspaper.
The reaction to it is the key though.

Like I argued in my original post, what Bancroft said was so indecisive and vague (and prob led on by the interviewer) that it didn't really add up to much but the way the Oz media reacted to it you'd think Bancroft had published video footage showing ball tampering was practised at all training sessions.

There seems a real split within Oz cricket admin and media over whether going back to Smith is the right move and this was the excuse to bring it all out in the open again.

mr_mister

The reaction to it is the key though.

Like I argued in my original post, what Bancroft said was so indecisive and vague (and prob led on by the interviewer) that it didn't really add up to much but the way the Oz media reacted to it you'd think Bancroft had published video footage showing ball tampering was practised at all training sessions.

There seems a real split within Oz cricket admin and media over whether going back to Smith is the right move and this was the excuse to bring it all out in the open again.
The casual acknowledgement that 'yeah you're right, bowlers probably knew about it' instead of vehement denial is a bit odd though. It's like Bancroft didn't realise the weight of what he was saying at all. So there was a giant cover up? But it was a couple of years ago so who cares? It's all pretty funny

social

The casual acknowledgement that 'yeah you're right, bowlers probably knew about it' instead of vehement denial is a bit odd though. It's like Bancroft didn't realise the weight of what he was saying at all. So there was a giant cover up? But it was a couple of years ago so who cares? It's all pretty funny
Bancroft is an idiot

He’s 28 now and was 25 when it happened

No kid

Not that he’s good enough anyway but he’s basically signed a death warrant on his test career now

Last edited:

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
2018: Jeff Thomson believes Steve Smith should face lifetime ban from cricket

“They should not get a match penalty, they should just get flicked. I don’t care who they are, they should just see ya later,”

“It’s a slur on everyone who’s ever played cricket. They’re like spoilt brats if it doesn’t go their way, they spit the dummy, whinge about it, carry on stupidly,”

2020: Jeff Thomson admits to deliberately tampering the ball

“We were playing at the Gabba playing Tasmania on a flat as s*** wicket. I was bowling, Boony (David Boon) was batting I think,” Thomson said.

“The ball was s***. Kookaburra started making really bad balls because there was no opposition. So the s*** that they made was crap and soft.

“I’d asked the umpire before the lunch break, ‘This ball’s s***.’ He said, ‘There’s nothing wrong with this.’ It was like a marshmallow.

“At the lunch break, Greg Chappell said to me, ‘We’ve got to get rid of this ball.’ I said, ‘I’ll fix this freaking thing up.’

“This is a true story. Remember those old razor blades? Just a blade on either side, a flat piece of steel. I put that in my pocket.

“I’ve run around the quarter seam with it and around the main seam, but I pushed it a bit hard. I bowled this ball to Boony, and the thing was nearly fallen in quarters like an orange.

“After lunch, I said, ‘I told you this ball was f*****, look at this,’ and (the umpire) has gone, ‘Jesus, I’ve never seen a ball do this.’

“It’s got clean cuts, it’s not even frayed on the stitching. It’s f***ing clean cut, it was very odd.

“Anyway, we got a new ball and I got him out and we won the f***ing match.

“That’s how you cheat.”

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2018: Jeff Thomson believes Steve Smith should face lifetime ban from cricket

“They should not get a match penalty, they should just get flicked. I don’t care who they are, they should just see ya later,”

“It’s a slur on everyone who’s ever played cricket. They’re like spoilt brats if it doesn’t go their way, they spit the dummy, whinge about it, carry on stupidly,”

2020: Jeff Thomson admits to deliberately tampering the ball

“We were playing at the Gabba playing Tasmania on a flat as s*** wicket. I was bowling, Boony (David Boon) was batting I think,” Thomson said.

“The ball was s***. Kookaburra started making really bad balls because there was no opposition. So the s*** that they made was crap and soft.

“I’d asked the umpire before the lunch break, ‘This ball’s s***.’ He said, ‘There’s nothing wrong with this.’ It was like a marshmallow.

“At the lunch break, Greg Chappell said to me, ‘We’ve got to get rid of this ball.’ I said, ‘I’ll fix this freaking thing up.’

“This is a true story. Remember those old razor blades? Just a blade on either side, a flat piece of steel. I put that in my pocket.

“I’ve run around the quarter seam with it and around the main seam, but I pushed it a bit hard. I bowled this ball to Boony, and the thing was nearly fallen in quarters like an orange.

“After lunch, I said, ‘I told you this ball was f*****, look at this,’ and (the umpire) has gone, ‘Jesus, I’ve never seen a ball do this.’

“It’s got clean cuts, it’s not even frayed on the stitching. It’s f***ing clean cut, it was very odd.

“Anyway, we got a new ball and I got him out and we won the f***ing match.

“That’s how you cheat.”

:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Thomson seems like one of loosest ex cricketers out there. His interviews for Fire in Babylon (iirc) showed how he dgaf and was literally out for blood.

Aritro

International Regular
Thomson seems like one of loosest ex cricketers out there. His interviews for Fire in Babylon (iirc) showed how he dgaf and was literally out for blood.
I get the feeling it might be cos he's a daytime drunk in his old age tbh. Or if not that, he was at least pissed as **** during some of his more colourful public appearances, such as in that Ashes doco and the HoF speech above, and when he was on stage as a guest at an MCC do.

He was a lot more lucid and composed doing media work even in his 50s. And he did a Cricket Legends interview with Crash maybe a couple of years ago where he seemed fairly restrained and even, which I took to be an indication of sobriety on that particular day.

FWIW, that Ashes one was called Forged in Fire or something similar. Fire in Babylon was the ATG doco about West Indian cricket.