• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think you'll find many people here who disagree. Certainly that's my view.
Yeah I totally agree. If he didn't know - which I kind of suspect - then it's a worse indictment on his captaincy than if he did.

And then he made it 1000x worse with the press conference. Cancerous Australian cricket culture is only part of the reason there was a massive over-reaction.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Khawaja is back in the shield runs and just captained Qld to a shield win, what's stopping CA from bringing him back to open with Warner (which has always been his best position In tests, bite me).

Gives us a solid captain and gives pucovski time to get his injury **** figured out and see where his future lies instead of rushing him back in because our alternate opener is Harris. Seems like a win win to me. Could even lead to pucovski getting a chance to settle into test cricket down the order at 5/6 with green.

1.Khawaja (C)
2.Warner
3.Marnus
4.smith
5.green 5
6.Head/Pucovski
7.Carey/Inglis +
8.Cummins 3
9.Starc 1
10.Lyon 4
11.Haze 2
Looks extremely strong on paper. Doubt it actually cause Langer has a hate boner for Khawaja but a man can dream.
Looks about what I'd go with. Similar to Khawaja though my impossible dream would be Maxwell to slot in at 6. Also not convinced at all that Starc deserves the Test spot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Looks about what I'd go with. Similar to Khawaja though my impossible dream would be Maxwell to slot in at 6. Also not convinced at all that Starc deserves the Test spot.
Yeah Khawaja opening and Maxwell at six has been a bit of a CW meme dream for a while. Definitely not going to happen but I think it's the strongest batting lineup, and I've only become more convinced with time.

Spikey

mate i'm rusty. the death of joe burns is so long ago now, I've forgotten how to spell and do the meme

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably a case of the other alternatives being questionable. Warner banned from captaincy, Marnus lacks seasoning, the other bats aren't secure in the team and there seems to be an unwritten rule about the captain being a batsman.
Just give it to Cummins

The 2 best captains we never had were Miller & Warne

Cummins will be an atg

Spikey

Want to appear more intelligent, influential, educated and honest? Lose your hair.

i don't think anyone identifies any of these traits with nathan lyon

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would think Haze and cummins’ numbers are better now tbh
They are and they are both brilliant bowlers. Which makes it so much more surprising they had to go to these levels. I mean, people make fun of the 36 but I can think of many batting sides who wont have made much more on that day and with Haze and Cummins in that form.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Such an odd story over the past week.

Bancroft's initial comments were so vague and indecisive that they barely amounted to anything and could've easily amounted to the interviewer pushing their own views onto him than anything Bancroft believed.

But perhaps the lack of clarity from Bancroft were part of their power as they allowed various people and groups to project their own views on them to serve their own interests.

These have ranged from media groups hyping it up saying how the whole incident has been blown wide open to other journos calling for a major revaluation and investigation into ball tampering in general to the likes of Michael Clarke who seem to like to be passive-aggressive in their media career.

So while I think it's much ado about nothing, I think the impact within the Oz team could be pretty significant, especially with friction surrounding comments from Warner's manager about how there's more to be told to the story and may even do a tell-all book post-career. Couldn't think anything more likely to damage the fabric of the current team.

Also, I wonder whether the hyping up of this story is implicitly driven by unease within Oz cricket media and the like that Smith wants to return to captaincy? I suspect there's a feeling that going back to him is a mistake and regurgitating stories like this is a reminder of why that is so.