• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mediocre cricketers who you support

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Jesse Ryder's bowling. I wouldn't call him a mediocre player, he was a match-winner with the bat. But surely everyone would agree that his bowling was average/below average at best, and I really enjoyed watching it. Some nice old school medium/slow-medium pace deliveries with gentle swing along with off-breaks here and there as a change up. Best part of his bowling was that he never tried to bowl faster than he could like other part time medium pacers "always" do(aka Luke Wright syndrome), he just kept it simple, hit the right areas, and bowled within his limits.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Roston Chase
I used to feel like this but seeing him stroll around the field this year, not chasing the ball, and demonstrate lazy footwork at the crease has put me right off him. He has fairly clearly got too big for his boots which is quite something when you've averaged 18 with the bat in test cricket over the last two years.

Personally, I always wanted Ramprakash to do well, I liked watching him bat. It just never happened for him.

As for Hooper, he averaged close to 50 on his return to test cricket at the end of his career. Not sure what went wrong with him earlier but I tend to agree that everything came too easy to him for most of his career and it was only towards the end that he understood what was required to maximise his talent.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Jesse Ryder's bowling. I wouldn't call him a mediocre player, he was a match-winner with the bat. But surely everyone would agree that his bowling was average/below average at best, and I really enjoyed watching it. Some nice old school medium/slow-medium pace deliveries with gentle swing along with off-breaks here and there as a change up. Best part of his bowling was that he never tried to bowl faster than he could like other part time medium pacers "always" do(aka Luke Wright syndrome), he just kept it simple, hit the right areas, and bowled within his limits.
Nice! Ryder was good to watch with the ball I thought. Pretty skillful and had deceptive changes of pace

He wasn't any great shakes as a bowler but used to really enjoy watching Paul Collingwood bowl. Nice, fluent action and got it to swing it in helpful conditions. Also had good change-ups with his cutters, slower-balls and could be pretty effective in the middle-overs of an ODI

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As a kid, was a massive fan of Manoj Prabhakar, Carl Hooper, Graeme Hick, Michael Slater, Adam Parore, Jonty Rhodes.... A veritable who's who of international mediocrity in their main disciplines.
Can I ask why you consider Slater mediocre?

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Boyd Rankin
Rizwan Cheema
Nitish Kumar
Maurice Odumbe
Dave Mohamed
Omari Banks
Darren Sammy
Amit Jaggernauth
Adrian Griffith
Leon Garrick
Carlton Baugh Jr.
Dave Bernard Jr.
Cameron Cuffy
Adam Sanford
Nehemiah Perry
Runako Morton (RIP)

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Robin Singh and Mohammad Kaif. Both game triers and gave their all on the field. Always held out for both (well, Kaif anyway) to become respectable at Tests but were too limited for the level.

Wouldn't mind having Robin Singh in the squad for the current tour though :laugh:

Gob

International Coach
Lol, mediocre I would say relative to the ability I thought he had. I corrected it in my next post.

Also, very definitely mediocre in ODIs.
Slats was quality

Also think his partnership with Taylor is bit undervalued. Atleast when you consider the quality of bowlers they were regularly confronting

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Slats was quality

Also think his partnership with Taylor is bit undervalued. Atleast when you consider the quality of bowlers they were regularly confronting
Which is why I was a fan. I just think he underachieved even as a test batsman. Mediocre was definitely not the right word. Just someone whom I felt never hit his full potential.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Leon Garrick
Carlton Baugh Jr.
I really wanted those two to succeed. Garrick had scored runs at FC level opening with Chris Gayle and then smacked a Donald loosener to gully first ball on his debut. Such a shame. He would walk into our current test side. Maybe I have a soft spot for pugnacious midgets?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also think his partnership with Taylor is bit undervalued.
Yeah they played a pretty big part in Aus getting to number one in the mid 90s. Aide even from their own performances, Boon moving to three from 93 til his retirement was the last important piece falling into place in that batting line up.

I get what HB means though re Slater not hitting the heights he could have. Was such a good player to watch when he got going.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Ryder's bowling was a truly repulsive sight. Just absolutely hideous to watch.

On a more general note, this threaad hasn't gone to plan at all, most of the names mentioned here are a fair cut above what I was looking for