• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mediocre cricketers who you support

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Reetinder Sodhi, he was a much better version of Robin Singh, could score quick runs, bowl decent medium pace and field well. Injuries led to his downfall and he had to drastically cut down on his pace to maintain his fitness, he could have done well for India in all formats.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Reetinder Sodhi, he was a much better version of Robin Singh, could score quick runs, bowl decent medium pace and field well. Injuries led to his downfall and he had to drastically cut down on his pace to maintain his fitness, he could have done well for India in all formats.
was pretty much retired at 2007 from fc and list a games at the age of 27

all format retirement at 30

poor guy

Bahseph

State Captain
Here's my list:

Darren Sammy : Especially in Tests. I loved watching him provide some useful contributions at the start of his captaincy run. I still remember his five against Pakistan. Horrid batting technique to watch and his bowling was never anything more than honest. Love the bloke though.
Farhaan Behardien: I can't even tell you why. He had a very home-spun technique and bowled the gentlest mediums but I always wanted him to do well. Perhaps it was because up to lead up to the 2015 WC it was apparent that SA were going to rely on a bunch of part-time filth as the 5th bowler. I'm talking some AB mediums,Faf legspin,Rossouw "off-spin"...I just wanted him to do well.
Mitchell Santner: I know the NZ fans have mixed emotions about him,but hear me out. I was the biggest Daniel Vettori fan. Being in SA I'd wait up till midnight to watch NZ Tests. I was obviously devastated when he retired but then Santner came along. He batted and bowled SLA. I was immediately willing him to succeed. But now I accept that he doesn't put enough revs on the ball and unlike Vettori he hasn't made his batting technique work for him.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
I think that image of Powar was taken on the England tour? He did tour that country anyway.

Cannot forget his boast to pressmen when he was asked if his offies were too slow. Told them he could bowl still slower. And did so at the peak of Shoaib and Lee's macho headgames on being the quickest.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
did you watch him in the early seasons of the ipl

slower than ganguly with the ball worse than bangar with the bat
I am not talking about T20 cricket, I pointed out his FC record. He averaged 49 with the bat, and bowled with a lot of accuracy, something that you want your fifth bowler to do. Definitely not a world-beater with the ball, but as a batting all-rounder, he would have been decent in ODIs or tests.

He wasn't that great in T20 cricket, and in his own words, "he moulded himself for the IPL". He was picked in the IPL essentially for his bowling, he was not a hard-hitter with the bat, he was more of an accumulator and he batted at number 7/8/9 for his IPL teams. His batting was really never considered for his team selection.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I think that image of Powar was taken on the England tour? He did tour that country anyway.

Cannot forget his boast to pressmen when he was asked if his offies were too slow. Told them he could bowl still slower. And did so at the peak of Shoaib and Lee's macho headgames on being the quickest.
Yeah, Eng tour 2007.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I am not talking about T20 cricket, I pointed out his FC record. He averaged 49 with the bat, and bowled with a lot of accuracy, something that you want your fifth bowler to do. Definitely not a world-beater with the ball, but as a batting all-rounder, he would have been decent in ODIs or tests.

He wasn't that great in T20 cricket, and in his own words, "he moulded himself for the IPL". He was picked in the IPL essentially for his bowling, he was not a hard-hitter with the bat, he was more of an accumulator and he batted at number 7/8/9 for his IPL teams. His batting was really never considered for his team selection.
Indian FC has this ability to throw up a few cricketers who have mediocre skill sets yet shockingly brilliant numbers.

Joginder Sharma for example- dude had 300 wickets @ a Marshallesque average of 21. Not to mention 5 hundreds with the bat. I think Vinay Kumar is another example.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Yeah, Rajat Bhatia is a classic case of someone who used up every ounce of his talent to do decent at the first class level but was never cut out for internationals. Among Delhi players who were his contemporaries Mithun Manhas used to open with Gautam Gambhir and for a long time I felt he was equal to Gambhir and would get his chances, was not to happen though.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Indian FC has this ability to throw up a few cricketers who have mediocre skill sets yet shockingly brilliant numbers.

Joginder Sharma for example- dude had 300 wickets @ a Marshallesque average of 21. Not to mention 5 hundreds with the bat. I think Vinay Kumar is another example.
In some cases that might be true, but some of these guys were only good at red ball cricket, and average/not equally effective in limited overs.

Let's talk about Joginder Sharma for instance, he was doing great in 4-day games, he picked 297 wickets at an average of 21 and scored 5 hundreds at 10 fifties(compared to just 2 fifties in List A games). He had a brilliant out-swinger as his stock ball which he could bowl all day long, he would smartly mix it up with in-swingers, a bouncer here and there at a slightly quicker pace and leg-cutters. He didn't have the tools to be effective in the shorter formats though, he didn't have that extra pace nor the array of variations required in the shorter formats.

Another example I'd like to give is Siraj, in T20s he gets absolutely smoked every now and then. He has an economy rate of 9+ in IPL and almost 8.5 in domestic games. But the same guy looks so much more capable in tests/FC games.

Think of someone like Philander, if you watch him perform only in T20s, you'll think that he is an average bloke, but he is a totally different beast in tests.

My point is, some guys are effective only in one format, and you can't overlook that fact. If a player can't perform in 50-over/T20 games even in domestic cricket, no matter how good his FC stats are, pushing him in the shorter format is the wrong thing to do.