• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mediocre cricketers who you support

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I truly don’t understand how someone who is that good in the grippers can make such bad split second decisions batting.

Burgey

Felt Phil Simmons wasted a lot of potential too and could have been a long term opener for Windies.
I think Phil suffered from the somewhat common affliction of 90s WI players in that he seemed more intent on having the swagger of the 80s blokes and less worried with sharing their ability or results.

See also, Arthurton, K.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Never saw him drop a catch. Ever. He bombed Warne in the ODIs ahead of the 95 test series over there then when the test came he kept getting run out or chipping one in the air off Steve Waugh, unless my memory fails me.

He was such a weird player. If you watched him bat you’d think he was an absolute all timer. Then he’d just get out.
It wasn't necessarily a concentration thing either because he averaged 50 with the bat in domestic cricket.

He looked better than a 49 average bowler too IMO.

OverratedSanity

Loved Phil Simmons. He just looked so ****ing depressed when he got out, had the slowest walk back to the pavilion of all time by an absolute mile.

Reactions: vcs

Burgey

I think that sometimes but then I remember Tim Southee and Jimmy Anderson are decent slippers.
Tbf Anderson is currently touring SL as a sub fielder.

but yeah they’re both decent, Hooper though was Mark Waugh level good there.

flibbertyjibber

He was such a weird player. If you watched him bat you’d think he was an absolute all timer. Then he’d just get out.
Reminded me of Mark Waugh in a way as he would look so good then get out having looked a million dollars for the last couple of hours. Waugh was clearly a huge upgrade but given his talent he could/should have averaged 5/6 runs an innings more over his career. I guess Waugh though would get his ton first and get out from boredom not like Hooper who would just give it away stupidly earlier.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Reminded me of Mark Waugh in a way as he would look so good then get out having looked a million dollars for the last couple of hours. Waugh was clearly a huge upgrade but given his talent he could/should have averaged 5/6 runs an innings more over his career. I guess Waugh though would get his ton first and get out from boredom not like Hooper who would just give it away stupidly earlier.
Almost seemed like he lacked motivation and found the game too easy, really.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think that sometimes but then I remember Tim Southee and Jimmy Anderson are decent slippers.
Southee maybe not such a good example, as nobody doubts he has a quality eye. The fact that he manages to average close to 20 in test cricket despite looking like he's picked up a bat for the first time in his life 5 minutes before going out to the crease is testament to that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Southee maybe not such a good example, as nobody doubts he has a quality eye.
Yeah but nobody doubts Hooper's eye either. If someone with an eye like a dead fish can be Southee with the bat in Test cricket then they can definitely be Hooper.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Hooper averaged 30 odd didn’t get? I know his offies were handy, but that’s really ordinary for a bloke who played 100 tests
Yeah, on that note Michael Atherton as well. Basically he was an Akash Chopra but with far more eloquence.

And add Nasser Hussain as well, although he stopped at 96 tests.

Both averaged 37.

Burgey