• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian players racially abused at SCG

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

"We have an issue with Australia full stop, we are a very racist nation," Cowan told ABC Grandstand. "We can hold the mirror up and pretend we are not. But all you need to do is go to an AFL game, all you need to do is watch the Adam Goodes documentary, all you need to do is walk down the street. Casual or otherwise, racism is a massive issue in Australian society and we need to fix it.

"That is my view, and this is not bound to cricket or sport, it is merely a reflection of the society we live in, and it's not good enough. The big thing other people haven't spoken about is this happens every game. This is not an outlier.
I have witnessed unfortunately in this forum itself. It might be casual, an Australian poster time and again referring to certain posts as "Subcontinental sense of humour" for example. The Mods could have set an example by clamping down on this, but it gets ignored and by that regard, condoned.
Show me a single country on Earth that doesn't struggle with racism in one form or another. I mean India itself is the tenth most dangerous place to express a Christian faith*.

I guess the real problem here is not that people are racist (which is something that really can't be stopped), it's that they're openly expressing their racism in a way that's making it appear normalised. Ejection from the match and fining/banning those involved is a start. The victims of the abuse definitely have a right to play/watch any sport without twits ruining their day with racist filth.

But honestly the way that it was handled was spot on by SCG security. Kick them out and apply fines/bans after an investigation.

*https://www.opendoors.org.au/persecuted-christians/world-watch-list/
These are the three posts in question, my first two sentences were addressing the quoted text directly. How on earth is that over the top? An Indian poster called Australians racist and I happened to point out that racism is pretty uniform and provided an example. I spent most of my post talking about the specific Australian racism that the thread was based on and I was not defending the racism in any way.

Spark

Global Moderator
These are the three posts in question, my first two sentences were addressing the quoted text directly. How on earth is that over the top? An Indian poster called Australians racist and I happened to point out that racism is pretty uniform and provided an example. I spent most of my post talking about the specific Australian racism that the thread was based on and I was not defending the racism in any way.
Just don't bring up the India example at all? It's irrelevant to the topic.

Son Of Coco

Anyway, now that Sydney has thrown down the gauntlet to Brisbane, what form do you think the racial abuse will take there and on what day will it start?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Siraj got repeatedly called a "bloody grub" at the Gabba apparently. Not sure what that means in Aussie. Food? Worm? Person with poor hygiene?

Last edited:

stephen

Siraj got repeatedly called a "bloody grub" at the Gabba apparently. Not sure what that means in Aussie. Food? Worm? Person with poor hygiene?
It means someone who isn't quite a cheat but bends the rules a bit. It's often used in football codes to refer to players who slip in elbows when the ref isn't looking or engage in otherwise poor behavior.

It's pretty much the most mild insult you can hurl at a player that's actually an insult.

Using it on a sentence:

"Mark Geyer is a bloody grub for starting that biff with king Wally".