• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian players racially abused at SCG

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, they didn't even give them proper legal representation until BCCI realized they could play the victim - or rather, they would look bad if they didn't. If it means they get good press, they'll do whatever.

Harbhajan racially abused Symonds and they were happy to sweep it until they realized they could look bad if it was proven (e.g people would bring up all the Indian fans making monkey chants to Symonds - and getting away with it - when Aus was touring India).

They literally could not care less.
You clearly know more than me about it, but the results speak for themselves. Maybe BCCI isn't great but as far as they players are concerned they look 1000x better than CA

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did I ever tell you about the time my mom got me the wrong Star Wars figure for Christmas? Still getting over that one. No one wants Leia ffs

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Come on spark...this is absolute nonsense
Look, what you guys don't understand is that if we as sports spectators wanted to upset opposition players and didn't have an ounce of ethics, racial slurs is not the first thing that will come to our minds. Of course there are exceptions (like Symonds abuse by Mumbai crowds) but that's the general thing. It's not because we are more ethical, it's just that we use different method to rile up opposition.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant

"We have an issue with Australia full stop, we are a very racist nation," Cowan told ABC Grandstand. "We can hold the mirror up and pretend we are not. But all you need to do is go to an AFL game, all you need to do is watch the Adam Goodes documentary, all you need to do is walk down the street. Casual or otherwise, racism is a massive issue in Australian society and we need to fix it.

"That is my view, and this is not bound to cricket or sport, it is merely a reflection of the society we live in, and it's not good enough. The big thing other people haven't spoken about is this happens every game. This is not an outlier.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I have witnessed unfortunately in this forum itself. It might be casual, an Australian poster time and again referring to certain posts as "Subcontinental sense of humour" for example. The Mods could have set an example by clamping down on this, but it gets ignored and by that regard, condoned.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Show me a single country on Earth that doesn't struggle with racism in one form or another. I mean India itself is the tenth most dangerous place to express a Christian faith*.

I guess the real problem here is not that people are racist (which is something that really can't be stopped), it's that they're openly expressing their racism in a way that's making it appear normalised. Ejection from the match and fining/banning those involved is a start. The victims of the abuse definitely have a right to play/watch any sport without twits ruining their day with racist filth.

But honestly the way that it was handled was spot on by SCG security. Kick them out and apply fines/bans after an investigation.

*https://www.opendoors.org.au/persecuted-christians/world-watch-list/

duffer

Can't think of many(any?) countries who will accept they have a problem with racism or bigotry.

stephen

^^ very dubious source aside, I get the gist of your comment. India is undoubtedly racist as well. Just need to look at treatment of African students who go there for higher studies. Or general treatment of dark skinned people. The North South divide.
Well if you're not going to accept the word of a 60 year old Dutch charity organisation with contacts across the world then that's your business. It was just one example.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Show me a single country on Earth that doesn't struggle with racism in one form or another. I mean India itself is the tenth most dangerous place to express a Christian faith*.

I guess the real problem here is not that people are racist (which is something that really can't be stopped), it's that they're openly expressing their racism in a way that's making it appear normalised. Ejection from the match and fining/banning those involved is a start. The victims of the abuse definitely have a right to play/watch any sport without twits ruining their day with racist filth.

But honestly the way that it was handled was spot on by SCG security. Kick them out and apply fines/bans after an investigation.

*https://www.opendoors.org.au/persecuted-christians/world-watch-list/
Of course, racism is a worldwide issue. But that link is just such a dumb thing to show as any kind of "proof". And how does racism being a problem in India mean anything when discussing racism in Australia?

Last edited:

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Well if you're not going to accept the word of a 60 year old Dutch charity organisation with contacts across the world then that's your business. It was just one example.
One that happens to be a Christian NGO which has a history of making inane, racist and unverified statements, anyway, for another thread altogether.