• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian players racially abused at SCG

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The saddest thing about all of this is that you'd imagine cricket fans to be the least prejudiced against other cricketing nations because, well, the reason you're there specifically to see Australia play against that other country. It's supposed to be fun, not abusive
I don't know how many sporting contests you've been to around the world, but this is pretty much the antithesis of what goes on everywhere.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The saddest thing about all of this is that you'd imagine cricket fans to be the least prejudiced against other cricketing nations because, well, the reason you're there specifically to see Australia play against that other country. It's supposed to be fun, not abusive.
Someone meme this pronto

Victor Ian

International Coach
This thread is ****ed. How do you guys not get bored after 2 posts on the topic.

As long as I can still order samosas and butter chicken, I don't care if idiots want to label me as racist.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lamenting trolling, pandering and 'but you too'. The thread started fine, but then descended into too much justification one way or the other. Your post about 10 pages back should have been the end of the thread.
We're actually talking about a new incident. We just used this thread because it was relevant.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
It's why the racist says "but I have *minority group* friends and they think it's ok". The friends (if they exist) might be ok with it, or at least put up with it because the rest of the friendship is worth it. But what's ok between friends is not necessarily ok between strangers.
Not to say that you would condone this, but its usually not okay between friends and is something that is tolerated in order to fit in.

I found this thread from a while back that had some great discussion (ignoring the usual few). My thoughts on that specific topic are summed up in my post and SS's post that I'm replying to.

I basically came here to share a similar story.

I came to the US as an awkward 14 year old so the culture change was just ridiculous, and in high school of all places, it was incredibly tough to try and fit in or feel even the least bit accepted. It didn't help that my school had very little diversity, almost none.

So fast forward a few years to where I'm an awkward adult working on the shop floor. I used to work with a bunch of technicians that had a similar skillset as mine and we would constantly shoot the **** and talk about whatever. Every once in a while we'd be sitting in a room somewhere having a chat when someone would bring up something relatively innocent but stereotypical/mildly racist that made me take a step back and realize that I'm in a room full of white people and that I'm different. Now while there's nothing wrong with what they would typically say, it certainly made me uncomfortable and took me out of the moment or the conversation, bringing back feelings of the high school years where I was made to feel like I had to prove myself worthy of inclusion.

Once again, the comments were almost entirely innocent, so for me to talk to them about it was difficult since I knew they would then take an extremely conservative approach when talking to me which is also undesirable. Really, the best approach is to just leave those types things out of a conversation.

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for US born people who look different to be constantly asked about where they're from. Like where they're really from.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not to say that you would condone this, but its usually not okay between friends and is something that is tolerated in order to fit in.

I found this thread from a while back that had some great discussion (ignoring the usual few). My thoughts on that specific topic are summed up in my post and SS's post that I'm replying to.
Literally implied the sentence before.