• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2020-21

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
These Big Picture proposals then. Essentially redistributing money through the pyramid in exchange for placing governance of football almost entirely in the hands of the top ‘nine’ clubs.

I know the primary reaction will be outrage, but I feel like if you went from the proposed system to the current one the reaction would be absolutely apoplectic.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is a veeeery dangerous proposal. Threatens the fabric of Football, literally.

Would end up in a franchise situation.
I am trying not to think about it much, in the end not sure any but five Prem clubs would want an 18 team Prem. Can also see why Gimps fave man Rick Parry is in favour, it is a decent wedge to the EFL at this time, but long-term it doesn't seem great.

Anyway, an interesting team picked by Southgate, of course by "interesting" I mean ****ing ****.

Pothas

Would not the other 11 Premier League clubs have to agree? See absolutely no reason why they would do so.

grecian

Would not the other 11 Premier League clubs have to agree? See absolutely no reason why they would do so.
Yeah, it's why I am not stressing about it, they're basically going to be asked to vote away all their power.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, it's why I am not stressing about it, they're basically going to be asked to vote away all their power.
Not merely all their power, but you're asking the other owners to vote away the value of their own assets, given the effective veto the top 6 would have over other clubs being bought and sold. Extremely optimistic tstl.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not merely all their power, but you're asking the other owners to vote away the value of their own assets, given the effective veto the top 6 would have over other clubs being bought and sold. Extremely optimistic tstl.
Not the top 6 ftr, just six clubs that think they're more important than everyone else. Meanwhile Leicester, who actually finished top 6 last season and have won the league more recently than 3 of this supposed big six don't even make it to the secondary crew ahead of such giants as Southampton and West Ham.

Honestly, **** everyone involved in this

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's all very "money money, yeah yeah".

So no thanks. Hopefully it dies and goes away. Though more and more of this sort of thing is inevitable I suspect.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You need 11 clubs to vote for it, which seems unlikely to me.
The 7 clubs in Europe would vote for it. So you'd only need to persuade 4 of the 13 remaining clubs to vote in favour, which I don't think would prove too difficult when you point out that the clubs get more money when it's divided by 18 rather than 20.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't see why Leicester would vote for it, they'd be voting to make their current vote weaker.

Any other club would be taking an extremely short-termist view, given fewer places makes future relegation more likely.

No doubt after this they'll bring up B teams again, bunch of ****s

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't see why Leicester would vote for it, they'd be voting to make their current vote weaker.

Any other club would be taking an extremely short-termist view, given fewer places makes future relegation more likely.

No doubt after this they'll bring up B teams again, bunch of ****s
I'm referring to clubs who would vote for an 18 team Premier League, not necessarily these exact proposals.

Relegation is also less likely under these proposals. 3 out of 20 teams is a greater proportion of the league than 2 out of 18.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm referring to clubs who would vote for an 18 team Premier League, not necessarily these exact proposals.

Relegation is also less likely under these proposals. 3 out of 20 teams is a greater proportion of the league than 2 out of 18.
Still 3 down, no? Or is it 2.5, think I saw something with a Prem team getting a play-off spot

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I've never been a fan of relegation playoff spots. The whole point of playing a league season and having a league table is surely for success failure to be determined on the basis of how a team performs in er... the league.

I mean, I know this is a criticism that can be levelled at promotion playoffs as well, but their use in a relegation context strikes me as being even more egregious.

Pothas

I can't really see any of the bottom half teams voting for this as it removes parachute payments as well.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I can't really see any of the bottom half teams voting for this as it removes parachute payments as well.
Yeah I don't really see the logic either. Seems to primarily be a proposal that would strengthen the already strongest teams, and weaken everyone else. Unless you are amongst the supposed elite already, this seems like a very foolish thing to support.