• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Moss

International Vice-Captain
The calendar isn't out yet I presume. Looking forward to it.

Still disappointed there's way too many international T20s this summer but won't mind if we see some new talent come through.

Seeing how England have brought in Tom Banton, Pakistan many young players over the last year or so we need to do that. If we're going to see the same faces playing T20s like in the early 2000s I'd be pissed off.

Here's hoping Stead doesn't take couple of years to bring in new talent.

It's time to trail Conway, Young, Ravindra and Sears. Love to see all these given a go this summer but knowing the way NZ camp operates it's a good dream.
Phillips too, seems to be tearing it up in the Caribbean. Not a new selection I know but interesting that they were prepared to play him in a test in Australia but ignoring him altogether for the shorter forms.

nzfan

The KW v Stead brouha is a definite count against him. The way the World Cup panned out I don't think can be counted as too much of a plus for him either - the build up to it was shambolic, and the team's form through the group phases was generally poor - narrowly avoiding losses to weak WI, SA and Bangerz teams and being nonchalantly brushed aside by Australia and England. Yeah it all came right in the SF and Final, but I think that was more in spite of the build-up than anything. And then there was the catastrophic Aus tour.

On the plus side was the 2018 UAE tour, and a series of strong performances on home soil (with the exception of the 2019 India ODI series when we were mucking around with fringe selections like Tastle and Dougeh). He also gets a pass mark for the SL tour.

I don't mind giving Stead longer, but he's going to need to be a lot more bold and forward thinking with his selections from now on than he has been in the first 2 years of his term, and he'll be necessarily working with less experienced and proven players going forward.
I think he has definitely delivered results no doubt but like you said there has to be some planning towards the big 4 upcoming important stints, 2 T20 WCs, 50 over world cup and the test championship. Great opportunity to get at least one if not two trophies.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like Anderson has been absolutely dire in the CPL. Without a domestic contract the future looks quite grim, though CdG has shown it's possible to revive your career even after you've turned 30. His fitness will always be his worst enemy I guess.
His batting form has been poor, but more importantly he hasn't bowled a single ball all tournament

If he isn't bowling, he shouldn't even be vaugely considered imo

nzfan

Phillips too, seems to be tearing it up in the Caribbean. Not a new selection I know but interesting that they were prepared to play him in a test in Australia but ignoring him altogether for the shorter forms.
100% the lad is a super star in the ongoing CPL. He needs to be given a good run. Seen enough of Munro, Guptill, Nicholls. No point also in persisting with Taylor although he's a legend and he should chose when he stops playing T20s. I think Taylor is good enough for another couple of years surely but preserve him for test cricket and ODIs. He's one of our most important player and playing him in all three formats just because he can is not good.

I don't mind someone like Chapman or Seifert given a decent go.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Kuggelejin? He's bowled really well and is in form. The first delivery to Hetmeyr today was a peach. Needs to be given a persisted run with the team in T20's and also odi's now. Perhaps even tests if he proves himself in odi's. He's more suited to the longer formats anyways. Can hit boundaries too. Would be a good no.7 to 9 as someone trying to stabilize a collapse or up the RR.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I see Ludick left the country after last season too, but it's permanent in his case. For Houston and 2021 Major League Cricket, of all things.

nzfan

Both Foxcroft and Luddick very good players. Shame Luddick left the country, he was getting good number of hits for CD. Foxcroft is one for future, very good bat particularly against spin. His bowling isn't bad either. If he misses out on NZ season he can't play in South Africa either as he's already signed up a contract with NZ Cricket to ply his trade here. One year is a long time to be off professional cricket.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Both Foxcroft and Luddick very good players. Shame Luddick left the country, he was getting good number of hits for CD. Foxcroft is one for future, very good bat particularly against spin. His bowling isn't bad either. If he misses out on NZ season he can't play in South Africa either as he's already signed up a contract with NZ Cricket to ply his trade here. One year is a long time to be off professional cricket.
I'm guessing the NZC will probably release him from his contract if he can't get back. It could ruin his qualification path though. Iirc you need to spend at least 6 months of every year in your destination country to qualify to play for them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm guessing the NZC will probably release him from his contract if he can't get back. It could ruin his qualification path though. Iirc you need to spend at least 6 months of every year in your destination country to qualify to play for them.
The ICC can waive some of those criteria under special circumstances. This seems like a good case for leniency.

Beamer

Hi friends, any news on the fixture list for this NZ summer? We've had no announcement from Cricket West Indies even though it was due to start in late October initially. A lack of communication from CWI is not exactly unusual though.....

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Hi friends, any news on the fixture list for this NZ summer? We've had no announcement from Cricket West Indies even though it was due to start in late October initially. A lack of communication from CWI is not exactly unusual though.....
Should be something out shortly but the Wellington City Council accidentally let the cat poke its head out of the bag, if not fully setting it free.

Chewie

Schedule's out for the summer:
  • FRI27 NOV
    –Eden Park
    West Indies Men Tour of New Zealand –Twenty20 International

• SUN29 NOV
    –Bay Oval

• MON30 NOV
    –Bay Oval

• THU3 DEC
    –Seddon Park
    West Indies Men Tour of New Zealand –Test Match

• FRI11 DEC
    –Basin Reserve
    West Indies Men Tour of New Zealand –Test Match

• FRI18 DEC
    –Eden Park
    Pakistan Men Tour of New Zealand –Twenty20 International

• SUN20 DEC
    –Seddon Park

• TUE22 DEC
    –McLean Park

• SAT26 DEC
    –Bay Oval
    Pakistan Men Tour of New Zealand –Test Match

• SUN3 JAN
    –Hagley Oval
    Pakistan Men Tour of New Zealand –Test Match

• MON22 FEB
    –Hagley Oval
    Australia Men Tour of New Zealand –Twenty20 International

• THU25 FEB
    –University of Otago Oval

• WED3 MAR
    –Sky Stadium

• FRI5 MAR
    –Eden Park

• SUN7 MAR
    –Bay Oval

• SAT13 MAR
    –University of Otago Oval
    Bangladesh Men Tour of New Zealand –One Day International

• WED17 MAR
    –Hagley Oval

• SAT20 MAR
    –Basin Reserve

• TUE23 MAR
    –McLean Park
    Bangladesh Men Tour of New Zealand –Twenty20 International

• FRI26 MAR
    –Eden Park

• SUN28 MAR
    –Seddon Park

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Fingers crossed we stay at level 1. Either way, I'm booking time off work to watch all 5 days of the Basin test.

Moss

Nothing screams David White like a season full of T20, two-test series, and a visit from Bangladesh (nothing against them but this will be their 3rd visit I think in 5 years). Still, any cricket is good cricket at this point and West Indies and Pakistan have better bowling lineups compared to when they last toured, so both test series should be great.

On the downside, would have liked to see some ODIs against Australia but even then they are unlikely to send anything near their first choice XI given there are apparently some clashes with a South Africa tour. Seems to be the story of most Australia visits.