• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Moss

International Vice-Captain
So luke ronchi is the new batting coach. Never rated him as a batsman but oh well...here he is.

'"Luke’s got a very good cricket brain and is especially strong tactically”'

Given that my main memory of his ODI batting especially during the complete run-drought from the 2015 WC onward was one careless shot after another and that a large percentage of his dismissals seemed to be self-inflicted, I rolled my eyes a bit at the above statement.

He did reveal another side to his batting during the 2016 India tour, which makes me wonder if he'd been selected in the wrong format right through.

The Hutt Rec

'"Luke’s got a very good cricket brain and is especially strong tactically”'

Given that my main memory of his ODI batting especially during the complete run-drought from the 2015 WC onward was one careless shot after another and that a large percentage of his dismissals seemed to be self-inflicted, I rolled my eyes a bit at the above statement.

He did reveal another side to his batting during the 2016 India tour, which makes me wonder if he'd been selected in the wrong format right through.
His Plunket Shield record was excellent as well.

nzfan

It was a given Ronchi will be the batting coach wasn't it? He was at the WC last year with the team and he was the obvious choice I suppose. You don't have to be a gun player to be a gun coach in my opinion. Some of the gun batters don't necessarily make the best coaches.

Moss

Yeah agree with the McMillan comparison, and that you don't have to be a gun player to be a good coach (Hesson an obvious example). Was just noting the contrast of that statement with the way he tended to play.

nzfan

Amazon India signs a deal with NZC for streaming rights of all NZ matches for six years over in India. In 2017 star sports had signed a deal with NZC for three years. More money in the kitty, some credit to David White I suppose? That's a pretty good deal in the times we are right now. They haven't said how much the deal is for but I'm guessing it must be substantial.

Looks like NZC is in the good books of Indian companies and surely they must have good viewership for NZ games.

vandem

International 12th Man
...Looks like NZC is in the good books of Indian companies and surely they must have good viewership for NZ games.
This IPL would have been good for "New Zealand" brand recognition for the casual Indian viewer, lots of Boult and some Williamson in highlights videos.

Immenso

Definitely a glut of players in the born 1989-1992 group in NZ, and in the various-format blackcaps teams.

Of those born after 1992 , which is under 28 years old currently. Only the following have played blackcaps:
  • Jamieson
  • Seiffert
  • Phillips
  • Chapman

With Duffy and Will Young having been in non-capped tour teams.

It does make the stand-out players in that mini-generation around the 2016 and 2018 U19 world cup teams seem quite an important 'bridge', when we do transition in 3,4 or 5 years. Potentially international class of those look to be Ravindra, Allen, Sears, G Phillips (already capped), Clarkson (in T20s).

Immenso

Stats-wise. Finn Allen's start to his career reminds me a bit of Tim Seiffert's.

Scored some big runs in unofficial 12-a-side games. Not included in his career stats. Actual career stats very modest without them.

I remember Seiffert scoring an U19 'test' hundred v Australia, but Buchanan had turned it into a 15-a-side game. Hundred against touring Pakistan senior team in a 12 -a-side game. etc. meanwhile averaging 20 odd for ND at the time.

Finn Allen has scored following 'unofficial' scores v tourists:
30 (30 balls), non-List A v Touring Bangladeshis (aged 19)
104*, non-FC v Touring England (age 20)
20, non-FC v Touring India (age 20)

So, obviously kid can play, and can have confidence he can step up the levels.
If its in white ball initially, and in lower-middle order in red-ball. So, be it.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Low-IQ ball-striking airhead says he enjoys having lots of freedom to express himself in games of absolutely no consequence to anyone. What a surprise that is to me.

nzfan

Low-IQ ball-striking airhead says he enjoys having lots of freedom to express himself in games of absolutely no consequence to anyone. What a surprise that is to me.
Lol... You're so harsh on our younger players mate. Give them some time, they'll come good. Don't discount good under 19 exploits though. Those games are still high pressure televised games. He was a champion there.

nzfan

Stats-wise. Finn Allen's start to his career reminds me a bit of Tim Seiffert's.

Scored some big runs in unofficial 12-a-side games. Not included in his career stats. Actual career stats very modest without them.

I remember Seiffert scoring an U19 'test' hundred v Australia, but Buchanan had turned it into a 15-a-side game. Hundred against touring Pakistan senior team in a 12 -a-side game. etc. meanwhile averaging 20 odd for ND at the time.

Finn Allen has scored following 'unofficial' scores v tourists:
30 (30 balls), non-List A v Touring Bangladeshis (aged 19)
104*, non-FC v Touring England (age 20)
20, non-FC v Touring India (age 20)

So, obviously kid can play, and can have confidence he can step up the levels.
If its in white ball initially, and in lower-middle order in red-ball. So, be it.
I just hope Firebirds continue to play him and not drop him too soon. The decks have been really challenging and it felt like you're never in. Sure he plays at no 6 for firebirds but like I said it's not been easy to score easily so far.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol... You're so harsh on our younger players mate. Give them some time, they'll come good. Don't discount good under 19 exploits though. Those games are still high pressure televised games. He was a champion there.
Yeah thanks for helping get Finn Allen into Wellington colours. Good signing.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah it's all a joke, isn't it.

It's all very funny until the thicko idiots (who've been fumbling and failing to stall the embarrassing South African march through our entire cricket set-up) take their brittle team of homegrown Gen Z talent over to Australia to get thoroughly demolished again, deflating the whole country's expectations.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Next time Heinrich Malan puts some food marked 'Finn Allen' in a dumpster, best to assume that he's a quite fastidious and discerning man who's put it in there for good reason. Don't go dumpster diving.

Flem274*

123/5

It's all very funny until the thicko idiots (who've been fumbling and failing to stall the embarrassing South African march through our entire cricket set-up) take their brittle team of homegrown Gen Z talent over to Australia to get thoroughly demolished again, deflating the whole country's expectations.
this doesn't hold up to scrutiny. the youngest batsmen were the best on that tour. while kane, ross, latham and nicholls appeared to bat with the weight of the world on their shoulders, tom blundell and glenn phillips actually scored runs.

you'll lock onto the chances phillips gave, and i say meh, at least he batted like he wasn't scared of an australian accent. you couldn't say that for the guys with impressive test averages in the team.

it's a trend of the past decade that the newer players to those tours seem to have the most confidence against and in australia and india.

Flem274*

123/5
Next time Heinrich Malan puts some food marked 'Finn Allen' in a dumpster, best to assume that he's a quite fastidious and discerning man who's put it in there for good reason. Don't go dumpster diving.
i mainly remember heinrich malan for spamming his twitter with inspirational quotes while he was centrals coach.

nzfan

So you want domestic sides to play 30+ year olds and imports. Imports that'll need 3-4 years to qualify. Leave them promising ones playing club cricket for many years?

Recycle the national side with some more near 30 year olds? The NZC path of that kind has changed plenty since the last decade. Southee, Boult, Kane, Latham were all picked early. Give the current younger crop some years and they'll deliver.

BTW even the Aussies are now picking young ones of late. Check their squad to play India. Even their domestic and BBL sides are picking young talents.

It's all but natural they'll take time to settle down at the next level.

Last edited: