• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Three year deal with Mediaworks for the radio rights, will be broadcast on Magic Talk ... includes all Blackcaps and White Ferns games, and "selected" domestic content:

Had to laugh at this from David White: “It will tap into, and service, our traditional fans’ love of live radio commentary, but it will also engage with new audiences and hopefully help widen the game’s appeal."

Surely nobody under the age of 76 listens to Magic.

Flem274*

123/5
dammit fm has terrible range compared to am. could listen to radiosport cricket all the way between provinces, not so for fm mysic stations

The Hutt Rec

Weird to see it’s mainly FM looking at their website, when it’s a talkback station. Luckily AM option in Wellington though. I bought a car last week which apparently can’t tune into fm stations because they use different frequencies in Japan, doh.

I wonder if many of the out of work Sky commentators will sign up for the radio coverage now?

Moss

Just had a random thought; NZ's last tour of England was in 2015, Pakistan have toured there three times since then, and the West Indies have been invited twice. And that 2015 series was a high-octane entertaining affair which had the English media gushing over McCullum's aggressive captaincy and NZ's approach, they even went so far to as to suggest that NZ were the inspiration for England' s new hyper-aggressive ODI approach. Seems to have amounted to nothing in terms of getting NZ to visit more.

Can understand Australia not exactly tripping over themselves to invite NZ to tour regularly, but England..hmm.

The Hutt Rec

Are we scheduled to visit again anytime soon? We'll probably finally get invited again and it'll be a one-off test.

Flem274*

123/5
it's not a one way street though. nzc aren't exactly falling over themselves to secure more test matches.

it's true other boards see us as a cash and casual fan interest black hole, but we don't exactly help ourselves. our cricket board is like all other cricket boards - it really wants the broadcasting revenue and gate takings of 5 t20s at $60+ per game and is actively encouraging test cricket to please go away because we can't just make money, we must make all the money.

Moss

it's not a one way street though. nzc aren't exactly falling over themselves to secure more test matches.

it's true other boards see us as a cash and casual fan interest black hole, but we don't exactly help ourselves. our cricket board is like all other cricket boards - it really wants the broadcasting revenue and gate takings of 5 t20s at $60+ per game and is actively encouraging test cricket to please go away because we can't just make money, we must make all the money.
Yeah won't argue that NZC are in a position to demand more test cricket when they've made their priorities pretty clear. The 3-test series itself seems to have stopped being a thing in NZ - the last one was against South Africa in 2017, and before that vs West Indies in 2013-14 - sad state of affairs really. (Yes Bangladesh were supposed to play a 3rd test last year which got cancelled because of the Christchurch attack, but so it goes.)

Still, the bolded portion from your post is what intrigues me, how come the Windies and Pakistan get to enjoy far more opportunities to tour, when NZC is pretty much following other boards in this respect (nothing against these 2 sides, happy to see any team outside the big three play more tests).

Okay, at the very least would think NZ should be invited for more ODIs and T20s which the rest of the world seems to play far more regularly - these may be meaningless to most people, but would allow NZ to introduce more new faces and build towards the world cups in those formats.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Yeah won't argue that NZC are in a position to demand more test cricket when they've made their priorities pretty clear. The 3-test series itself seems to have stopped being a thing in NZ - the last one was against South Africa in 2017, and before that vs West Indies in 2013-14 - sad state of affairs really. (Yes Bangladesh were supposed to play a 3rd test last year which got cancelled because of the Christchurch attack, but so it goes.)

Still, the bolded portion from your post is what intrigues me, how come the Windies and Pakistan get to enjoy far more opportunities to tour, when NZC is pretty much following other boards in this respect (nothing against these 2 sides, happy to see any team outside the big three play more tests).

Okay, at the very least would think NZ should be invited for more ODIs and T20s which the rest of the world seems to play far more regularly - these may be meaningless to most people, but would allow NZ to introduce more new faces and build towards the world cups in those formats.
Yeah, me being a younger fan and someone who grew up in the T20 era, I'd love to see 5 t20 match series become a regular fixture. More ODI's as well. I like test cricket but I definitely prefer all the LO stuff. If we were touring more often and regularly for the colored clothing stuff to all parts of the world, its only going to help us. Gives opportunities for guys like Kuggelejin, Jamieson, Sodhi, Duffy and Tickner to showcase themselves instead of the 1 odi/2 t20 appearances per year (or no appearances at all).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand has a 3-test tour of England scheduled in 2022. Also worth noting that New Zealand toured England twice in quick succession in 2013 and 2015, and England has toured here twice since then, which makes it 5 series (home and away) in the last 8 years - really not too bad. The lack of home tests v Australia is really the biggest glaring failure on the NZC's resume imo. Australia's played a grand total of 4 tests in New Zealand in the last 15 years, and they're not scheduled to come here again until 2024 at the earliest!

Mike5181

International Captain
Whether the games are profitable or not, only winning one test match against them since like '93 isn't exactly helping.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Good to see Phillips amongst the runs again in the CPL. Pleasing to see that Kuggelejin is on top of the wicket taking charts. Really hope Anderson gets it going...kind of sad.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, the slow decline of Anderson to injury and form issues is really sad. I know kippax was always of the view that Anderson was just a mountain of muscles lacking in genuine talent, but from what I saw of him during that 2013-15 window when his body briefly allowed him to play some actual cricket, I thought there was a huge amount to work with. Not that he was ever the second coming of Mr X, but I felt there was a solid chance that we'd have a left-handed Shane Watson. Sadly it looks like his time has past.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, I mean obviously NZC is gonna do what makes them money but sometimes I wish they did consider a bit more of a balance. I mean, I won't have minded them playing an extra test instead of those 3 ODIs for instance.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I mean obviously NZC is gonna do what makes them money but sometimes I wish they did consider a bit more of a balance. I mean, I won't have minded them playing an extra test instead of those 3 ODIs for instance.
There was originally meant to be 3 tests played v WI, but that got canned once covid happened.

Chewie

If we don't return to the same lvl 1 restrictions as before, test cricket is almost better than ODIs because social distancing is much easier at tests on a grass bank than in a stadium