• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

Howe_zat

Audio File
Excluding washouts, I wonder what's the fewest runs an opener has had finishing not out on day 1?

Still 90 minutes to go of course.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like Sibley. Really helps to have at least one incredibly boring opener in English conditions.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Excluding washouts, I wonder what's the fewest runs an opener has had finishing not out on day 1?
I don't know if time was lost to rain, but apperently John Wright in this innings against England finished day 1 on 55*, having faced 255 balls. He then backed this up with 19 (105) in the second innings. NZ won, so you can't say it was uncalled for, unless you were a spectator.

Edit: This was NZ's first ever win against England.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't know if time was lost to rain, but apperently John Wright in this innings against England finished day 1 on 55*, having faced 255 balls. He then backed this up with 19 (105) in the second innings. NZ won, so you can't say it was uncalled for, unless you were a spectator.

Boycott with 77 off 302 in the same match, not even letting the title of the most boring batsman in the match go to an opponent. :laugh:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Got to say I am old-fashioned, but I don't see the problem with the run-rate, Gabriel clearly not right, 4 days to play, grind the bowlers into the dust for me.

Stokes seems a bit agitated about it, he needs to calm down as the great philosopher in my avatar says.

Ooh, that's not clever.....

Howe_zat

Audio File

Edit: This was NZ's first ever win against England.
I think we can beat it: Mudassar Nazar in his 10-hour 114, also against England, finished day 1 on 52*. Again, Boycott and Brearley in the opposition responded in kind. Curiously, the game was a draw.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Got to say I am old-fashioned, but I don't see the problem with the run-rate, Gabriel clearly not right, 4 days to play, grind the bowlers into the dust for me.

Stokes seems a bit agitated about it, he needs to calm down as the great philosopher in my avatar says.

Ooh, that's not clever.....
Yeah there's no problem at all, it's just the only observation on an uneventful day.

Bijed

International Regular
I like Sibley. Really helps to have at least one incredibly boring opener in English conditions.
Yup. When the main criticism levelled at an English opener these days is that they score too slowly it's a sign that they're doing a better job than pretty much anyone else we've had in that role in the last 8 years or so.

flibbertyjibber

Can't give the stodgy buggers a life as they can easily bat for another couple of sessions. Might not score many but others can around them.

flibbertyjibber

Yup. When the main criticism levelled at an English opener these days is that they score too slowly it's a sign that they're doing a better job than pretty much anyone else we've had in that role in the last 8 years or so.
The fact that Burns was the first opener since Cook to get to 1000 runs shows how bad it has been. Sibley surely will do it too and the pair could be set for a long run.

Bijed

International Regular
The fact that Burns was the first opener since Cook to get to 1000 runs shows how bad it has been. Sibley surely will do it too and the pair could be set for a long run.
Haha yeah, that stat said it all. The 'since 2007' thing was slightly misleading since Strauss was around for 5 years after that, but still.

Who got the closest in the meantime? Compton?