• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Please fire Gary Stead and Gavin Larsen" thread

Jezroy

State Captain
Can anyone tell me what Peter Fulton's qualifications are to be NZ batting coach?

For his first overseas tour, he had them about as far away from firing on all cylinders as is humanly possible. Preparation and gameplan in the batting group seemed completely non-existent.
He played lots of cricket. He commentated some cricket.

Mates with Stead.

Otherwise, don’t know?

It’s not even that I care about what an average job Larsen has done, it’s just that it’s so clear that it’s time for some new thinking. See ya Gav.

Jezroy

State Captain
Interesting article - https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...kcaps-test-side-should-like-in-12-months.html

Says in the next few months we should bid farewell to CDG, BJ, and Southee from the tests side, and that it should look like this...

Latham
Phillips
KW
Taylor
Nicholls
Young
Blundell
Wagner
Ferguson
Boult
Patel

Like the thought of Patel getting a proper go. CDG has been pretty good for a while (apart from brain farts in Australia, but not the Lone Ranger there), Southee has great numbers, and BJ has been a champion for us for some time.

But I at least like the fresh thinking. Quite like Phillips opening. Still not a fan of Blundell opening, but then where do you put him?

I’m just so confused with the team TBH. I know that the team that played in Melbourne could come home to NZ and actually be good against most teams on home soil.

But is that good enough? Or do they really try and set themselves up to compete against Australia, India, and South Africa overseas when we rarely get these tours?

I just hope that we’ve seen the last of Henry, Santner, and Raval in whites to start with.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Can't say I have a problem with Larsen. Tbh.

I think the last month, same squad for both series, is his first real mistake. I have no reason not to believe he isnt a guy who learns from his mistakes.

Least of our problems.

I do now have suspicions with the merits of Stead and Fulton, however.

Whoever agrees tour itineraries is clearly someone who doesn't learn from recent past mistakes.

Jezroy

State Captain
Can't say I have a problem with Larsen. Tbh.

I think the last month, same squad for both series, is his first real mistake. I have no reason not to believe he isnt a guy who learns from his mistakes.

Least of our problems.

I do now have suspicions with the merits of Stead and Fulton, however.

Whoever agrees tour itineraries is clearly someone who doesn't learn from recent past mistakes.
Ummmmm... lead up to the World Cup where rather than trying new people they just kept playing Munro hoping he’d smash himself into form?

Mike5181

International Captain
Ummmmm... lead up to the World Cup where rather than trying new people they just kept playing Munro hoping he’d smash himself into form?
I want to see the ODI squad they come up with for the India series. A lot of those guys didn't perform in the World Cup. Guptill, Latham, Munro, Nicholls, etc. plus Southee was on the bench and got smacked around in the one game he did play. The team should really have a new look to it now.

Last edited:

Immenso

Meh.

It was a worthwhile punt.

I dont really follow or care about ODIs though to be honest, so couldn't have a good discussion on this point with much input.

Jezroy

State Captain
Meh.

It was a worthwhile punt.

I dont really follow or care about ODIs though to be honest, so couldn't have a good discussion on this point with much input.
Sorry, but if you followed ODIs you would know that Munro was terrible for a long time and they gave him more rope than any player I’ve ever seen simply because he was still goodish at T20.

And also I think they felt like they should give him every chance as he put all his eggs in the white ball basket. Which i hate to think is true, but I think partly it may have been.

Think of it like they gave Raval another 15 or 16 tests to come good, and he never really did. So they took him to the World Cup anyway because, hey, they never tried anyone else!

Last edited:

nzfan

I want to see the ODI squad they come up with for the India series. A lot of those guys didn't perform in the World Cup. Guptill, Latham, Munro, Nicholls, etc. plus Southee was on the bench and got smacked around in the one game he did play. The team should really have a new look to it now.
They won't, we aren't bold enough. Guptill is our best one day player but can't say the same about Munro. He has had a very long rope. They should bring in Seifert and Phillips not withstanding they are wicket keepers as well.

My one day team would likely be:

Guptill
Blundell
Kane
Taylor
Nicolls
Latham
Jimmy Neesham
K Jamieson
Santner
M Henry
Boult

Reserves

Tickener
Rutherford
Phillips/Seifert

I'd have probably included Ravindra as well if not for having to play India. Nicholls should be given another series and see how he goes in one dayers. Should be the last series for him to make good the opportunity.

The T20 side more or less the same but they can reward super smash performances from the likes of Bennett, Newton, Bruce, Worker, McConchie etc

Now that they have lost so badly to the Aussies the selectors will be now worried about selections knowing it can go wrong and India is a bloody good side in all formats. No respite for us it looks like although you never know what sort of mindset Indians will turn up with. Some years ago when Indians visited our shores they looked disinterested and likely spent time seeing the country rather than playing good cricket.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't know how India managed to lose the series in 2014 tbh. That was the nadir of that side which was constantly attempting and succeeding in throwing away dominant positions.

I still think NZ start as slight favourites even after this woeful effort in Australia. Their series vs Australia are always outliers which turn out crap no matter how good they are as a team.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

Nothing came out of the interview with the General Manager of NZC. He's passed the buck on selections which is the right thing to do. Why get a GM Operations and ask him about selections?
Yeah, I can't say I got a lot out of it, apart from he still thinks the preparation in terms of lead up games was fine, which is weird. Not the most inspiring guy, but as long as the reviews he discusses are honest and in depth and bring up some new ideas, then it sounds on the right track.

Not totally confident they will be, though.

The Newshub team is interesting. This did feel by the third test, with all the replacements, like the final gasp of the old team and the start of something new. I would get rid of a few before Watling and CDG though. Taylor is just looking more and more shaky at the crease these days ... time to bring in Young and let us remember Rossco at his best?

No doubt we will keep the same XI for the next five years, though.

nzfan

Yeah, I can't say I got a lot out of it, apart from he still thinks the preparation in terms of lead up games was fine, which is weird. Not the most inspiring guy, but as long as the reviews he discusses are honest and in depth and bring up some new ideas, then it sounds on the right track.

Not totally confident they will be, though.

The Newshub team is interesting. This did feel by the third test, with all the replacements, like the final gasp of the old team and the start of something new. I would get rid of a few before Watling and CDG though. Taylor is just looking more and more shaky at the crease these days ... time to bring in Young and let us remember Rossco at his best?

No doubt we will keep the same XI for the next five years, though.
Don't expect sweeping changes or even major changes by the statement put out by Gary Stead. See below

https://play.stuff.co.nz/details/_6120216761001

I also don't think they should make sweeping changes but they need to start introducing players in drips. There are lots of good cricketers that can come good in international cricket but we are very shy of making changes when required.

I would love to be proved wrong but Phillips is not an answer in the long format and neither is Blundell as an opener in test cricket. Southee should not be playing all formats. Boult should not be made to play all formats and curtail his still promising long career. Nicholls won't cut in the one day and t20s in the long run. Taylor is in his last year or two max.

Young still isn't ready yet, he needs to get some games under the belt before being introduced. For now Rutherford in one day will do for me or go radical and bring in Ravindra. He can bowl and bat no doubt. Please enough of Munro, he just slogs and can only come off against lesser sides that lack skills. Guptill won't stick around for the next world cup but has about two years in him at least I'm guessing. Neesham should be playing all formats. I can't understand why he's not preferred.

Flem274*

123/5
rutherford would be a poor choice for odis. shut down the offside for him and wait for the nick. too early for rachin.

i was slightly a knob in the tour thread about phillips but there was a lot to like about him even if his first knock was jammy. looks solid in defense against pace, decisive when looking to score and unlike the others didn't lose all confidence in his plan if he played a false shot. he's got a lot of the modern auckland batsman about him but unlike the rest of the modern auckland batsmen he is clearly adapting and working on his game all the time. he got shown up by amir, went away and has returned a better player. i hope he thinks about both innings here and works hard to close his gate.

he's already good enough to put attacks not called australia, south africa or india to the sword and he's got it in him to scrap with those three attacks right now. with some polish he's the goods imo. good to see some competition for the #4 spot.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh I still don't rate Phillips against a swinging or seaming ball hitting fuller lengths in Plunket cricket at all. Seeing an opener in him, and not even asking him to go and do it at the lower level for a season, seems utterly daft to me.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The great strength of Hesson's leadership was a clear style of cricket but also the intelligence to adapt when necessary. You knew what we were trying to do. And the right guys were generally picked. There's zero chance Hesson would've toured Australia without a back up opener behind a guy who was in rat **** form. I doubt he would've debuted Ferguson at Perth. Nor picked a squad for both series'.

Seriously, does Stead even have a better domestic record than Andy Moles did? If the job is unappealing for someone of quality to take on full time, split the duties between limited overs and Tests if it avoids employing someone just because they're the best of a weak list of applicants. We can't expect anything from the current crop of unproven coaches in our setup.