• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 ODI batsmen since the 90s

Jack1

International Debutant
Ok I actually didn't know this. Only saw the very end of his career.
I am laughing at how overrated Jayasuria has been in this thread. Ridiculous to be honest. Dude was a 2nd spinner at best and slogged a few boundaries. I'm being a bit tongue and cheek, but I probably have the right based on earlier postings. My bad if I don't (lol)

Yep. Absolutely.

Are you arguing that Bevan was better than Ponting? Or are you arguing the "By a long way" part?
I'm not arguing with anything. Bevan was a better ODI player in my opinion. There aren't that easy to compare they were very different in play and intention.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am laughing at how overrated Jayasuria has been in this thread. Ridiculous to be honest. Dude was a 2nd spinner at best and slogged a few boundaries. I'm being a bit tongue and cheek, but I probably have the right based on earlier postings. My bad if I don't (lol)
I tend to agree. He was a very good ODI player and was around for a long time. He was one of those guys who would play some incredible innings now and then which probably leads to people overrating him. He shouldn't really be in an ATG team, and I have a feeling that a big reason that people do it is to fit Dhoni in instead of Gilchrist.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I tend to agree. He was a very good ODI player and was around for a long time. He was one of those guys who would play some incredible innings now and then which probably leads to people overrating him. He shouldn't really be in an ATG team, and I have a feeling that a big reason that people do it is to fit Dhoni in instead of Gilchrist.
Dhoni + Jayasuriya combination yields more than Gilchrist + Bevan combination in most people's eyes.

TheJediBrah

Dhoni + Jayasuriya combination yields more than Gilchrist + Bevan combination in most people's eyes.
I would consider it more Dhoni + Jayasuriya v Gilchrist + Symonds, with the latter being relatively comfortably superior.

Symonds does everything Jayasuriya does with the ball, is arguably the best fielder of all time and strangely underrated on his batting alone. He averages 50 overseas in ODIs. Picking Jayasuriya ahead of Symonds only makes sense if you're trying to force a certain team balance, eg. fitting Dhoni in. Which is fine if you really rate Dhoni enough to that.

We're getting a bit off topic here

Jack1

International Debutant
1. Bairstow
2. Roy
3. Tendulkar
4. De Villiers
5. Kohli (c)
6. Bevan
7. Gilchrist (wk)
8. Hadlee
9. Murali
10. Garner
11. McGrath

Good luck getting Dhoni or Jayasuria in that team. Because they don't deserve to be in it. Your only argument can be Jayasuria over Bevan, but your problem is Bevan is a proven finisher - you have no merit batting Jayasuria in any slot in this team. That's just my opinion however. As for Dhoni I'd not pick him over Gilchrist in any position in the order. I simply consider Gilchrist more talented and more of a team player. Before you say I'm missing a bowler, unlikely. The four front line bowlers are likely to take 8 wickets minimum even if you don't bowl a 5th bowler til the 41st over. Most likely the team other gets bowled out inside 35 overs unless Bradman plays for them, in which case that couldn't be the team anyway - it would be adapted to try to counter him. Plus Bradman never played an ODI, so didn't need to factor that in anyway.

Last edited:

Daemon

1. Bairstow
2. Roy
3. Tendulkar
4. De Villiers
5. Kohli (c)
6. Bevan
7. Gilchrist (wk)
8. Hadlee
9. Murali
10. Garner
11. McGrath

Good luck getting Dhoni or Jayasuria in that team. Because they don't deserve to be in it. Your only argument can be Jayasuria over Bevan, but your problem is Bevan is a proven finisher - you have no merit batting Jayasuria in any slot in this team. That's just my opinion however. As for Dhoni I'd not pick him over Gilchrist in any position in the order. I simply consider Gilchrist more talented and more of a team player. Before you say I'm missing a bowler, unlikely. The four front line bowlers are likely to take 8 wickets minimum even if you don't bowl a 5th bowler til the 41st over. Most likely the team other gets bowled out inside 35 overs unless Bradman plays for them, in which case that couldn't be the team anyway - it would be adapted to try to counter him. Plus Bradman never played an ODI, so didn't need to factor that in anyway.
Makes little sense to decide that your keeper will bat 7 and then not pick Dhoni/Buttler.

Jack1

International Debutant
Makes little sense to decide that your keeper will bat 7 and then not pick Dhoni/Buttler.
I think Gilchrist is more talented than Buttler even at 7 on this eras flat tracks and feel suits the team better. I can't prove it but I'm going with instinct. Good thing is I'm definitely not biased, I'm English lol.

akilana

International 12th Man
I would consider it more Dhoni + Jayasuriya v Gilchrist + Symonds, with the latter being relatively comfortably superior.

Symonds does everything Jayasuriya does with the ball, is arguably the best fielder of all time and strangely underrated on his batting alone. He averages 50 overseas in ODIs. Picking Jayasuriya ahead of Symonds only makes sense if you're trying to force a certain team balance, eg. fitting Dhoni in. Which is fine if you really rate Dhoni enough to that.

We're getting a bit off topic here
Nah. Symonds is overrated. Jaya was a much better batsman and his bowling was more useful than the rubbish Symonds throws. Jaya was also a better batsman than Gilly.

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
Batting gilly out of place isnt even the biggest problem with that side- it's batting Sachin out of place, which knock viv out- he is arguably the best bat, indisputably the best number 3, and provides a badly needed 5th bowling option (no, bowlers who averaged just over a wicket and a half a match against regular teams are not going to get upgraded to 2 wpm against an atg lineup)

Jack1

International Debutant
Jayasuria vs Symonds is very close and complicated. Difficult to choose, Symonds might actually edge that I'm not sure though. I like Jayasuria, I'll have to calculate it further tomorrow but my gut instinct says Symonds and Gilchrist over Dhoni and Jayasuria but it's incredibly close almost a draw.

Batting gilly out of place isnt even the biggest problem with that side- it's batting Sachin out of place, which knock viv out- he is arguably the best bat, indisputably the best number 3, and provides a badly needed 5th bowling option (no, bowlers who averaged just over a wicket and a half a match against regular teams are not going to get upgraded to 2 wpm against an atg lineup)
Viv doesn't count. It's from the 90s and after (the batting part). I just put the bowlers in for fun in case you wondered on that part, should have made it clearer. By the way the top 7 is just batting too I took nothing else into account apart from batting roles for the batting dynamic of the top 7 to compliment one another (didn't count their bowling or fielding since the thread title is batting only)

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Bairstow
2. Roy
3. Tendulkar
4. De Villiers
5. Kohli (c)
6. Bevan
7. Gilchrist (wk)
8. Hadlee
9. Murali
10. Garner
11. McGrath
I usually go by "To each, their own" policy, but this looks a bad team to me. Missing a 5th bowler, greatest batsman ever not being there, the 2nd greatest batting out of place (on second look, except the openers, actually everyone are batting out of place), couple of flat track bullies opening and a bad tail. Totally unbalanced on all counts.

Jack1

International Debutant
I usually go by "To each, their own" policy, but this looks a bad team to me. Missing a 5th bowler, greatest batsman ever not being there, the 2nd greatest batting out of place (on second look, except the openers, actually everyone are batting out of place), couple of flat track bullies opening and a bad tail. Totally unbalanced on all counts.
This team is purely to smash the current international sides with a batting line up from the 90's only. If it's going to play another ATG team then it gets adapted, but that wasn't the point. A team plays other international sides. Think of the side as Russia or something, call them all Russian and that side is battering everyone and being the world number 1 in no time regardless of holding 4 front line bowlers. A team like this is complete fantasy anyway, so adding this variable in isn't changing much.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Not even close. By no metric is Jayasuriya as good a player as Symonds, or a better batsman than Gilchrist.
I rate both Gilchrist and Jayasuriya as equals in batting in ODIs. Both had similar roles and did their job perfectly as attacking openers, which is also one of the reason why they both average only in the mid 30s. Can't pick one over the other if it comes to just batting. Balance of the team will determine whether we go with Jayasuriya or Gilchrist.

From my watching days, I don't rate Symonds bowling much. He just picked up the left over pieces of Mcgrath, Warne and the other great to good Aussie bowlers of that time :) Jayasuriya is definitely a much better bowler than Symonds. On fielding Symonds beats him but Jayasuriya is a decent fielder as well. Both had different roles in batting.