• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 ODI batsmen since the 90s

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He is a strangely ignored guy isn't he. If Migara wasn't here reminding us every few months most of us would probably forgot he existed.
He has the record to boast, but people tend to forget him. Even many Sri Lankans pick Jayasuriya - Atapattu combination in ATG SL XI, and later say "****, how did I miss a player with such numbers?"

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
He is a strangely ignored guy isn't he. If Migara wasn't here reminding us every few months most of us would probably forgot he existed.
Yes, was top run getter in 2011 world cup (denying Tendulkar the unique achievement of being top scorer in 3 different world cups).

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He only averaged 26 against Australia, so that explains why I don't give a **** about him. Don't know what the rest of you guys' excuse is.

Also while the stat that he averaged 46 as opener is often brought up, important to note he actually averages sub-40 overall which would be a reason he isn't rated as highly as others.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The impression I remember being left with wrt Dilshan was that he did better than he "should have". Which probably just means he was persistently good.

Tom Flint

International Regular
From memory was his bowling in his last 4 years or so much better statistically than his early years. I know he did a lot of keeping so that will explain it but towards the end he was a proper all rounder you would want bowling all ten of his overs?

TheJediBrah

From memory was his bowling in his last 4 years or so much better statistically than his early years. I know he did a lot of keeping so that will explain it but towards the end he was a proper all rounder you would want bowling all ten of his overs?
Nah his bowling was very much like Jayasuriya's. Handy part-timer made more useful by playing so much cricket in the subcontinent but you would mostly use him for a few overs a game, or to shock the batsman. He'd be the part-time spinner who'd bowl the 1st over in T20s these days which so many teams seem to love doing.

tbf even Jayasuriya was probably a level better than Dilshan as a bowler

Tom Flint

International Regular
Is that your opinion of him or facts? I'm sure I remember his last few years in or odi's he was a genuine bowler

TheJediBrah

Is that your opinion of him or facts?
With this sort of thing the distinction between the 2 is often quite blurred

I'm sure I remember his last few years in or odi's he was a genuine bowler
Over his career he averaged 45 with the ball and bowled an average of 3 overs per match
In his last 3 years he averaged 44 with the ball and bowled an average of 3.8 overs per match

so not really. I'd say this is more a case of your memory prioritising a couple of games you saw where he bowled much more than he usually did and hence you think it was the norm

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
If you consider avg* strike rate as a way of analyzing players,Sehwag is better than both Jayasurya and Dilshan on raw stats. Not saying only raw stats should be taken into account by the way. But certainly neither of them were "light years" ahead of him.

I feel Jayasurya shouldn't be anywhere close to the top 10 ODI batsmen of the last 3 decades(neither should Sehwag and Dilshan). An average of 32 is pretty underwhelming. Yes, there was a fear factor about him during his peak, mostly on sub continent pitches, which came after a pretty poor 5-6 years at the start of his career.

A bit over-rated as a bowler as well as TJB has mentioned. With an average of 36 with the ball, he shouldn't be touching the ball in an ATG team.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He only averaged 26 against Australia, so that explains why I don't give a **** about him. Don't know what the rest of you guys' excuse is.

Also while the stat that he averaged 46 as opener is often brought up, important to note he actually averages sub-40 overall which would be a reason he isn't rated as highly as others.
You have a point. However when Aravinda de Silva, Saeed Anwar and Shewag (lol) in the discussion as greartest batsman in last 30 years, he definitely worth a mention.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah his bowling was very much like Jayasuriya's. Handy part-timer made more useful by playing so much cricket in the subcontinent but you would mostly use him for a few overs a game, or to shock the batsman. He'd be the part-time spinner who'd bowl the 1st over in T20s these days which so many teams seem to love doing.

tbf even Jayasuriya was probably a level better than Dilshan as a bowler
Jayasuriya FFS a death bowler in 96WC.

Tom Flint

International Regular
With this sort of thing the distinction between the 2 is often quite blurred

Over his career he averaged 45 with the ball and bowled an average of 3 overs per match
In his last 3 years he averaged 44 with the ball and bowled an average of 3.8 overs per match

so not really. I'd say this is more a case of your memory prioritising a couple of games you saw where he bowled much more than he usually did and hence you think it was the norm
Ok thanks, that clears that up. That's why I like this site, there's always someone there with the evidence to prove you are am wrong!

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
The number of lists without Anwar is depressingly high.
I had Anwar in my list, but looking deeper into his stats, averaged 23 vs Aus, 17 vs SA. Those are pitiable figures. Large sample size too.May be the image of him bossing the indian bowlers on a number of occasions got the better of me.

I don't want to change my list though. The guy oozed class.