• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh Tour of New Zealand 2019

Borges

International Regular
From a cricketing perspective, it wouldn't surprise me now if touring teams are surrounded by security wherever they go and public interaction is limited.
Yes. International cricket (and other sports) will continue to be played in New Zealand; with security similar to what would be there in other countries.

Flametree

International 12th Man
New Zealand have been very wary about travelling to supposedly risky places in the past (Kenya in particular springs to mind). So they could hardly complain if in particular Pakistan and Bangladesh refused to come here - if there are any other psychopaths like this one out there, a touring cricket team would present a fairly tempting target I'd have thought.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
New Zealand have been very wary about travelling to supposedly risky places in the past (Kenya in particular springs to mind). So they could hardly complain if in particular Pakistan and Bangladesh refused to come here - if there are any other psychopaths like this one out there, a touring cricket team would present a fairly tempting target I'd have thought.
Can we at least wait to find out if the Bangladesh Team itself was actually a target before questioning whether NZ's going to be viewed as safe place for touring teams in the future?

England (as one example) have had plenty of terror attacks, do teams ever question the safety of going there (except perhaps immediately after an incident)?

The thought that NZ would go from being perceived as the safest cricketing nation, to being unsafe following just one incident, is an extremely stupid one.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah this will be seen as a one off. Bangladesh will understandably go home immediately but teams avoid countries if there is a trend or of they are specifically targeted.

Burner

International Regular
While they may not be specifically targeted, as teams of mostly Muslims it'll be a bit scary. The sightseeing might be avoided in future tours.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Can we at least wait to find out if the Bangladesh Team itself was actually a target before questioning whether NZ's going to be viewed as safe place for touring teams in the future?

England (as one example) have had plenty of terror attacks, do teams ever question the safety of going there (except perhaps immediately after an incident)?

The thought that NZ would go from being perceived as the safest cricketing nation, to being unsafe following just one incident, is an extremely stupid one.
I wasn't saying they were a target. But when 49 people are killed because of who they are and where they pray, it isn't just "one incident". This isn't like random bombings by the IRA or terror attacks by the jihadis on civilians in London. There are bound to be similarly sick ****wits in the country, and they will be well aware that this guy was 10 minutes away from an even bigger PR "triumph" for their cause if a national cricket team had been among the victims. .
I think any security check by say the Pakistani cricket board would conclude that the team may well be seen as a target for similar psychopaths. Given how this guy seems to have stayed below any security radar, it will be hard to prove that the country is safe.

Zinzan

I wasn't saying they were a target. But when 49 people are killed because of who they are and where they pray, it isn't just "one incident". This isn't like random bombings by the IRA or terror attacks by the jihadis on civilians in London. There are bound to be similarly sick ****wits in the country, and they will be well aware that this guy was 10 minutes away from an even bigger PR "triumph" for their cause if a national cricket team had been among the victims. .
I think any security check by say the Pakistani cricket board would conclude that the team may well be seen as a target for similar psychopaths. Given how this guy seems to have stayed below any security radar, it will be hard to prove that the country is safe.
Bro, you really need to wait until the facts come out. And yes it is just one incident at this stage, albeit the horrendous number of victims.

There's no reason to believe there'll be any further attacks here than in any other western city/country. Whether it's Stockholm, London, Melbourne, Toronto or Chicago to name a few.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
^^You need to smell the coffee. The stuff in Tarrant's manifesto is very pervasive in far-right circles, and it is primarily anti-colored immigration. Muslims may have provided the most conspicuous target this time, but it can just as easily be a temple or an Indian restaurant tomorrow (as a matter of fact, the Indian joint in front of my girlfriend's home in Ontario of all places was blown up last year). The live stream and prior dissemination of his manifesto had one and only one objective, to inspire copycats. Seeing as how that's the case, I don't know how any colored team ought to be comfortable touring these parts in the future. Oh they will tour for sure; people love to bury their heads in the sand and act like nothing's amiss, and most cricketers from our parts aren't too read up on such things, but there is genuine ill-sentiment in the West today and it will only get worse with time.

Last edited:

Zinzan

^^You need to smell the coffee. The stuff in Tarrant's manifesto is very pervasive in far-right circles, and it is primarily anti-colored immigration. Muslims may have provided the most conspicuous target this time, but it can just as easily be a temple or an Indian restaurant tomorrow (as a matter of fact, the Indian joint in front of my girlfriend's home in Ontario of all places was blown up last year). The live stream and prior dissemination of his manifesto had one and only one objective, to inspire copycats. Seeing as how that's the case, I don't know how any colored team ought to be comfortable touring these parts in the future. Oh they will tour for sure; people love to bury their heads in the sand and act like nothing's amiss, and most cricketers from our parts aren't too read up on such things, but there is genuine ill-sentiment in the West today and it will only get worse with time.
You misunderstand, I'm not disagreeing with any of that, I just don't think NZ is anymore likely to be the next attack venue than any other big city in the west.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Bro, you really need to wait until the facts come out. And yes it is just one incident at this stage, albeit the horrendous number of victims.

There's no reason to believe there'll be any further attacks here than in any other western city/country. Whether it's Stockholm, London, Melbourne, Toronto or Chicago to name a few.
the saddest part of this is that we're basically carrying out exactly what the nutjob stated he wants in his manifesto. Years ago we figured out it was a bad idea to report suicides in the media, it's about time we started doing something similar with shootings because it's patently clear that the reaction is a big part of the motivation behind such actions.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I doubt touring teams will have more than maybe a security officer or two with them guys.
Doubt that somehow:

David White, the CEO of New Zealand Cricket, has said "everything changes now" in terms of security around sports teams coming to the country in the wake of the terror attack in Christchurch which killed 49 people and saw the Bangladesh squad come very close to being caught up in the mosque shooting near Hagley Oval.

"This is shocking. This will change the entire fabric of international sports hosting. I think everything changes now," he said. "We'll certainly be having to look at our security in depth. I think the idea of New Zealand being a safe haven is gone now."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26277558/christchurch-attack-changes-everything-team-security-nzc-ceo

slippy888

International Captain
Doubt that somehow:

David White, the CEO of New Zealand Cricket, has said "everything changes now" in terms of security around sports teams coming to the country in the wake of the terror attack in Christchurch which killed 49 people and saw the Bangladesh squad come very close to being caught up in the mosque shooting near Hagley Oval.

"This is shocking. This will change the entire fabric of international sports hosting. I think everything changes now," he said. "We'll certainly be having to look at our security in depth. I think the idea of New Zealand being a safe haven is gone now."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26277558/christchurch-attack-changes-everything-team-security-nzc-ceo
Its ridiclous for him to say that he just trying to encourage teams to come

Days of Grace

International Captain
Well, he can’t really well go with the “she’ll be right” rhetoric.

The future image of armed security at NZ boutique grounds saddens me.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That ****ing wack job is a born and raised Australian. It has zero to do with our country, other than our gun laws need tightening and subsequently will be.

So much knee jerking about the future of fixtures in this country. We were the most safe in the world until 2 days ago. One incident doesnt change it

trundler

That ****ing wack job is a born and raised Australian. It has zero to do with our country, other than our gun laws need tightening and subsequently will be.

So much knee jerking about the future of fixtures in this country. We were the most safe in the world until 2 days ago. One incident doesnt change it
You'd expect that to happen in any country that isn't USA though

Borges

International Regular
Agreed. Nevertheless, from now on, there would be heavy security for visiting teams; no one is going to take any chances.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, he can’t really well go with the “she’ll be right” rhetoric.

The future image of armed security at NZ boutique grounds saddens me.
That doesn't stack up at all. Bangladesh were not targeted, nor was it at a ground. They were, unluckily (and in the end, luckily not there earlier) near the mosque at the time of the killings. The fact that the third Test was scheduled in Chch and in fact was scheduled the next day was absolute coincidence. It could have been an international team without a single Muslim in their side. Pure coincidence of the FTP.

So by that token, do we expect much more heightened security at the World Cup? For England India and Australia here next summer? No, it won't happen.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
https://www.news.com.au/world/pacif...e/news-story/275ecc3f1212f1a780c5ea3348bb77fd

If I was going to knee jerk, I'd suggest Australia is where the heightened security should be? That's not a potshot at Australia, just saying. None of our politicians are blaming Muslims for their own deaths, either.

I'm really ****ing angry about this. Our wonderful country poisoned by one mentally weak and disturbed person. Anyone who thinks they have more right to live than anyone else is about as unintelligent a human being as you can get. If he was really brave with his views - or for anyone else - they should go into a mosque and share those views face to face.

Countries touring England didn't beef up security after the tube attacks in 05' or so. Visitors to France don't think twice, even after the Charlie Hebdo atrocities. Our country I would imagine has one of the lowest rates of terrorism and hate-based homicide in the world. We are a beautiful, safe, welcoming place. **** Tarrant, he was a lone wolf and now that his pathetic arse is behind bars our country is as safe as it always was.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Doubt that somehow:

Nothing at all is said here.