• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh Tour of New Zealand 2019

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yeah I canceled my flight down there. No refund due to unforeseen circumstances but I can get a domestic flight somewhere else.

My plans are totally insignificant though. Thoughts for the poor victims. This is not the New Zealand I know.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In some aspects you hope they don't cancel events after terror attacks, because that's what the terrorists would want. But in these circumstances, with the Bangers team so close to the action, it's fair enough.

Horrendously sad stuff.

jcas0167

International Debutant
no debut for will young then
Yeah, I really hope he does get another chance. Was really looking forward to seeing him on debut. As others have said, something like this puts sport in perspective though. Thoughts to the friends and family of the victims.

91Jmay

International Coach
Sadly there is a huge bias, "white" countries are given a pass for danger of terrorism (England had an attack when Aussies were over here once for e.g) and "brown" countries are immediately deemed unsafe.

BeeGee

International Captain
Question is...will cricket in New Zealand be banned for a while or not?
I doubt it. The difference between what happened in NZ and what happened in Pakistan is that the SL team was specifically targeted by the terrorists.

Having said that, I could totally understand if Bangladesh or Pakistan didn't want to tour NZ again.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Sadly there is a huge bias, "white" countries are given a pass for danger of terrorism (England had an attack when Aussies were over here once for e.g) and "brown" countries are immediately deemed unsafe.
India suffered a terrorist attack in 2008 but the England tour went on (with a venue change and cancellation of inconsequential ODIs ) .

Zinzan

Question is...will cricket in New Zealand be banned for a while or not?
Are you serious? New Zealand doesn't suddenly become a dangerous country overnight due to one horrendous attack.

And if it were to be the case, it would be a horrible example of tail wagging dog.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Chances are that some of the murdered people would, if just able to go about their lives as normal, have attended the cricket today. It is surreal and so beyond words that they cannot.

Rest in Peace.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah I canceled my flight down there. No refund due to unforeseen circumstances but I can get a domestic flight somewhere else.

My plans are totally insignificant though. Thoughts for the poor victims. This is not the New Zealand I know.
IIRC Air NZ said they'd refund flights affecting CHCH.

Days of Grace

International Captain
IIRC Air NZ said they'd refund flights affecting CHCH.
Called them yesterday to cancel and they said they could only give me credit for a future domestic flight within 12 months.

Called them again this morning and was given a refund because of the exceptional circumstances of me not living in NZ and not visiting so often.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I don't think any cricket is going to take place in NZ for some time. Doubt if the last round of domestic cricket that's supposed to start tomorrow will take place either. Cricket will be barely on anyone's radar in the near future.

Who in sick mind could do what transpired yesterday. I know some may have point of difference even in our country about certain topics but no one is really capable of even remotely thinking about doing what was done yesterday. He must have an ultra sick mind to commit a henious crime like that. NZ is a very vibrant and a tolerant society. I just feel like I woke up from a bad nightmare today. Idiots picking Christchurch to carry out their tirade. Really feel very sorry for the victims from the bottom of my heart. This is just not on. Those folks were carrying about their day to day lives and didn't deserve this. Still not able to fathom it can happen in our beautiful country. The world has come to sad state of affairs. It's impossible in this time and age not to live together no matter what race, creed and religion. It's one big global village the world is now. The social media, internet etc was bound to have some really bad influence on weak minds and this is truly the result of that.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

Apparently the Bangladesh team was at the Mosque earlier in the morning, left for a press conference, and were in the bus outside when it happened, about to return. Their press conference overran, otherwise they'd have been inside and probably dead.

I can't blame any international side that doesn't want to visit after that. If it was the Blackcaps in another country then I wouldn't be keen on them returning, either.

Zinzan

I can't blame any international side that doesn't want to visit after that. If it was the Blackcaps in another country then I wouldn't be keen on them returning, either.
I just can't see this happening due to one horrible attack in a nation's history. Why would any international sides travel to England or Australia either, if that were the case?
Both those countries have a highly probability of facing terrorism than NZ. Sorry but this is a massive overreaction as well as being irrational to suggest NZ will now be perceived as a scary/unsafe country to tour relative to anywhere else in the world.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I just can't see this happening due to one horrible attack in a nation's history. Why would any international sides travel to England or Australia either, if that were the case?
Both those countries have a highly probability of facing terrorism than NZ. Sorry but this is a massive overreaction as well as being irrational to suggest NZ will now be perceived as a scary/unsafe country to tour relative to anywhere else in the world.
I'm in utter disbelief at what happened yesterday and find it hard to believe what actually transpired. Just pure evil at work.

From a cricketing perspective, it wouldn't surprise me now if touring teams are surrounded by security wherever they go and public interaction is limited.

Apparently the Bangladesh team had no security detail with them throughout the tour. Not that I would expect them to need it, but I think this will change as the world seemingly has more nutcases around than ever before.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apparently the Bangladesh team was at the Mosque earlier in the morning, left for a press conference, and were in the bus outside when it happened, about to return. Their press conference overran, otherwise they'd have been inside and probably dead.

So crazy. It's already one of the most horrific events of recent times. Imagine if a national sport team were wiped out. Very scary to think of the extent of the repercussions that would have caused

Always a silver lining i guess

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

Well I doubt Bangladesh will be in a hurry to return.