• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Offical Rugby League Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Penrith sacked Griffin four weeks out from the semis while running fifth.

Pretty incredible development.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
What's the go? Just following scores, not the politics/off field from over in Yorkshire.
Lots of rumours but it's clear he'd lost the confidence of Gould, the broader staff body and at the very least a decent portion of the playing group. A little known member of staff left a few weeks ago which was apparently the catalyst for the instability. Apparently inside the club the only surprising part of it is that it wasn't done sooner.

There are some problems with how the team is playing atm, but the same could be said for every team at some point this year. Either Gould has lost it or the internal division was so dire that jeopardising a potential premiership was the only option. I suspect the latter, as Gould has done nothing but improve our position since staring in 2011. It's unheard of for a roster to do as well as we have with the amount of injuries we've suffered and Gould deserves a ton of the credit for building a roster as deep as this.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I really hope we don't get Ivan back. Nathan is a good player (who could become a great player) but I don't think he's worth setting up a situation so prone to nepotism and potential instability. You put Nath/Ivan together you get a situation where both have to perform or the club destabilises. Not a fan of the power that gives Nathan in salary negotiations either. With Gould being such a strongheaded figure I can't see it ending well.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really hope we don't get Ivan back. Nathan is a good player (who could become a great player) but I don't think he's worth setting up a situation so prone to nepotism and potential instability. You put Nath/Ivan together you get a situation where both have to perform or the club destabilises. Not a fan of the power that gives Nathan in salary negotiations either. With Gould being such a strongheaded figure I can't see it ending well.
It's just bizarre, I mean Gus gave Ivan the boot in 2015. Did he learn in the last 3 years how coaching is done?

Bloke has a lower winning percentage across his coaching career than Griffin does. It's like Gus is saying "Nathan, you want to go to your dad right? What if we bring your dad to you? Please don't leave."

I hope to god Gus's footy IQ explodes and he somehow impossibly snags Bennett just for the meme value it'd bring.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
It's just bizarre, I mean Gus gave Ivan the boot in 2015. Did he learn in the last 3 years how coaching is done?

Bloke has a lower winning percentage across his coaching career than Griffin does. It's like Gus is saying "Nathan, you want to go to your dad right? What if we bring your dad to you? Please don't leave."

I hope to god Gus's footy IQ explodes and he somehow impossibly snags Bennett just for the meme value it'd bring.
It could just be media bull****, but it really does look like that from our vantage point.

Which is insane. I rate the kid but there's always a limit on what you should do for a player in a competition with a salary cap like this one.

Gnske

Nnghn it's all pretty ugly.

Surely this could have been done without ****ting all over the Tigers like this?

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Been a hype finals series so far. The 2 top 4 matches were stunning, the Broncos getting destroyed was hot af and I ofc enjoyed the performance and outcome in our game.

Still don't think we'll get past the Sharks. They're a team we never seem to beat, have several ex-Panthers who always fire up against us. I'm not confident but there were enough good signs against the Warriors to suggest we're finally turning the corner after the late season slump. Ciraldo getting the team to a GF given where we were two months ago would be just about the craziest thing I've seen watching footy.

Burgey

Ausage, who was the Penrith player last night who, with two to go and his team in field goal position to level it up, decided to go for a blind side play on the last tackle? And why should he ever play in the NRL again?

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Ausage, who was the Penrith player last night who, with two to go and his team in field goal position to level it up, decided to go for a blind side play on the last tackle? And why should he ever play in the NRL again?
It was Waqa Blake. He should play NRL again because hes an absolute mangod. In fact he'd look good in blue imo.

And yes it was a disgusting bit of play, but where were our halves in those last few minutes? Cleary drags a sitter wide of the mark. Maloney barely sighted that whole last set. At the end of the day those are the guys that should be icing things in those situations. Never mind we're probably 10 in front without Maloney. Might be the disappointment talking but I wouldn't be sad to see the back of him at this point. He was by far the worst player on the field in the biggest game of our season.

Really disappointing season this one. Had a very real shot at the whole thing imo. It's the hope that gets you and it got me, let me go then got me again. Dire.

Spikey

watching the tape, wasn't it Maloney, on the second last tackle, calling for the ball down the blindside and then throwing it back in board that basically ****ed it up? (the hooker shouldn't've passed when he got the ball either)

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
watching the tape, wasn't it Maloney, on the second last tackle, calling for the ball down the blindside and then throwing it back in board that basically ****ed it up? (the hooker shouldn't've passed when he got the ball either)
Yeah you're right actually. I had that on Katoa but no reason for us not to just set up through the middle. ****ing dire from a guy that should know better.

That said Blake's wasn't the stupidest play of the weekend. Why would you run it on the last there?

Burgey

It was Waqa Blake. He should play NRL again because hes an absolute mangod. In fact he'd look good in blue imo.

And yes it was a disgusting bit of play, but where were our halves in those last few minutes? Cleary drags a sitter wide of the mark. Maloney barely sighted that whole last set. At the end of the day those are the guys that should be icing things in those situations. Never mind we're probably 10 in front without Maloney. Might be the disappointment talking but I wouldn't be sad to see the back of him at this point. He was by far the worst player on the field in the biggest game of our season.

Really disappointing season this one. Had a very real shot at the whole thing imo. It's the hope that gets you and it got me, let me go then got me again. Dire.
yeah the last ten minutes from Penrith was only surpassed for stupidity by the dragons running the ball on the last inside their own half with a minute to go and scores level, as you've noted.

the big bambino

International Captain
It is a truism though, that there always comes a time when you have to tell Phil Gould to **** off.

I don’t think Souths will win it but wasn’t Reynolds good. And the coach has turned the Rabbitohs around with much the same personnel with a few new young unknowns playing incredibly well.

morgieb

Ugh. Another year where the only question is "who is less evil"?

It's the Roosters ftr.
Ehhh, I think 2015-17 there was a side who wasn't particularly hatable (I can see the argument for Cronulla being dislikable and they kinda are, but they had the drought thing going on). 2014 I obviously had a team to support there but I'm obviously biased :p

Actually hard to think of recent finals where both sides were tolerable. 2005 and 2001 probably?

Gnske

Are the Roosters this year even that hateable? Jake Friend is the only one that's probably universally annoying for viewers because of his constant ref whining. Cronk, Keary, Mitchell, Manu, Tedesco, Radley, they're all great.

I think 2015 was pretty unhateable tbh. If you put away the partisan hatred for Hodges and Thaiday because they liked fighting back before Gallen punched Nate Myles in the skull, I think the only real prick out there was Adam Blair.

morgieb

Are the Roosters this year even that hateable? Jake Friend is the only one that's probably universally annoying for viewers because of his constant ref whining. Cronk, Keary, Mitchell, Manu, Tedesco, Radley, they're all great.

I think 2015 was pretty unhateable tbh. If you put away the partisan hatred for Hodges and Thaiday because they liked fighting back before Gallen punched Nate Myles in the skull, I think the only real prick out there was Adam Blair.
It's still the Roosters. I never had that much of a problem with their players, the club can GAGF though.

Gnske

It's still the Roosters. I never had that much of a problem with their players, the club can GAGF though.
Oh when it comes to clubs, Penrith and Manly take the cake for my hate, particularly this year. No offence to Gus, he's a good guy and everything but what a ****wit.