• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Offical Rugby League Thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I find international league hard to get into. I just can't cheer that hard for the Australian team. The idea of DWZ getting a win as (c) had me cheering for the Kiwis.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Cherry Evans and Keary are probably the worst pair of halves we've ever fielded.
I can see why they were picked. Keary just came off one of the best GF performances by a half in years, while DCE was the only half who looked good over multiple games in Origin. There were far worse selections, the pillow Woods, Hunt on the bench, Turbo at center.

the big bambino

International Captain
They deserved their spots after their performances in the GF and Origin 3 respectively but if you're the opposition and see them there instead of say Cronk and Thurston you'd be thinking that looks weak. Don't mind Turbo but on the wing. Hunt I'm ok with as bench player. Woods should get axed (if you'll overlook the pun).

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Speaking of halves, the talk has been that Ponga is going to be shoved into five-eighth next year.

I really hope he is given licence to roam the field, would be wasted otherwise.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Cronk and Thurston are stronger ofc, but they're not options any more.

Problem I have with Hunt is that he's a confidence player. You don't put a guy like that under pressure by forcing him to prove himself in limited minutes. He only really covers the halves too, don't rate him as a hooker and Cook can play 80 anyway). Peachey would have been a much better option.

the big bambino

International Captain
Cronk and Thurston are stronger ofc, but they're not options any more.

Problem I have with Hunt is that he's a confidence player. You don't put a guy like that under pressure by forcing him to prove himself in limited minutes. He only really covers the halves too, don't rate him as a hooker and Cook can play 80 anyway). Peachey would have been a much better option.
Just using Cronk and Thurston as comparisons. I know they're retired. Its indicative of our stocks that 2 guys who like Keary and DCE make the team then we've got junk. And because they are in the side it'll mean that someone like Hunt will be close to it despite his flaws. Its not a good situation and I can see why NZ can beat us on the superiority of their halves alone. Not sold on Peachey. He's a bench player at this level too. But not against swapping him for Hunt.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Just using Cronk and Thurston as comparisons. I know they're retired. Its indicative of our stocks that 2 guys who like Keary and DCE make the team then we've got junk. And because they are in the side it'll mean that someone like Hunt will be close to it despite his flaws. Its not a good situation and I can see why NZ can beat us on the superiority of their halves alone. Not sold on Peachey. He's a bench player at this level too. But not against swapping him for Hunt.
Yeah we've lost a ton of depth from the halves in recent years. Maloney of the first half of 2018 would have been great, but he was busted and/or garbage by seasons end.

I don't mind Hunt. I just think he's not a bench player. You start him or you don't select him. I think the idea that you have to select a guy to cover injuries in the halves/hooker is pretty suspect, but if you absolutely must Peachey is the best option around.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would give Mason Lino first oppourtunity in the halves next year and keep Ponga at the back.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yep.

Ponga-Lino-Pearce-Griffin will be a good spine.

Ramien and Glasby will be very good additions too. The Knights making the 8 call was definitely premature last year, but this year I think they are a great chance of doing it.