• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England’s best-ever Test XI – ECB survey

Bolo

State Captain
Larwood and Laker not making the B team is a bit of a surprise.

Swan, while obviously overranked by the pole, deserves a bit more love around here. I don't think there has been an offie in who averaged better than him in a couple of generations who wasn't from Asia, and there were only a couple of these. Turned and bounced it big, plus could bat a bit. Have to go a long, long way back to find an English player I rank clearly ahead of him if ignoring the longevity question.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think, on balance, it does look like a casuals' selection, but the presence of Knott maybe suggests quite a few old stagers and/or cricket nerds have voted too.

The great man isn't exactly a black-and-white relic, but I bet he played his last test before the majority of CW was even born.

Yer casual would've more likely been drawn to the recent vintage (and better batting average) of Matty Prior or Jonny Red, surely?

Tom Flint

International Regular
This team is far to bias on recent players. But just as annoying are cricket nerds who try to show how much they know about cricket by naming atg teams made up of purely pre war cricketers

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This team is far to bias on recent players. But just as annoying are cricket nerds who try to show how much they know about cricket by naming atg teams made up of purely pre war cricketers
Indeed - I suspect Graeme Swann would have enjoyed himself on the Old Trafford '56 dust bowl

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swann vs Laker is pretty close, certainly closer than some ridiculous choices on the list but I'll take Laker for his similar SR in a significantly slower era.

fredfertang

Swann vs Laker is pretty close, certainly closer than some ridiculous choices on the list but I'll take Laker for his similar SR in a significantly slower era.
So Underwood isn't even an option??
I've always got my rose tinted spectacles close at hand, but have to be fair to Swanneh - he never got to bowl on uncovered wickets or to the sort of leg trap Laker had available to him, and Deadly wasn't quite the same bowler after full covering started

Bolo

State Captain
Laker had it easy for sure. His achievements are ridiculous though. Hard not to put him on top in spite of conditions.

Guys like Verity and Underwood outperformed on paper but had much easier conditions than Swan. My feeling is that they would outperform him in the eras they played in, but do worse in his era. I rate Swan higher on the whole though- I fancy a bowler who performs well in any conditions above one who is excellent in easy conditions and mediocre in tough ones.

harsh.ag

And since Barnes is usually in the first side, Underwood becomes even less of an attractive pick when compared to someone like Laker or Swann.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
England XI's tend to follow a similar pattern really, sticking Knotty and Beefy into a team stacked with greats from pre-war-'50s; a large Surrey-Yorkshire complexion. It tells you a lot about English cricket really, that England have been a bit dire since the '50s, and that Surrey and Yorkshire had a near monopoly over the Championship.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Burgey's favourite Pommy rag has proposed an XI they reckon can beat this one:

1. Hobbs
2. Sutcliffe
3. Hammond
4. Compton
5. Barrington
6. Stewart +
7. Greig *
8. Rhodes
9. Bedser
10. Tyson
11. Barnes

Still no love for Laker, Ames is overlooked and maybe Statham over Bedser? But the batting shows up very well against the other team.
I like this side. Would probably have either Ames or Evans in for Stewart, and I believe Greig's spot is challenged by either Frank Woolley, Maurice Tate, Andrew Flintoff or even WG Grace. One thing I like about the team is the inclusion of Rhodes, who is a bit underrated imo.

Starfighter

I like this side. Would probably have either Ames or Evans in for Stewart, and I believe Greig's spot is challenged by either Frank Woolley, Maurice Tate, Andrew Flintoff or even WG Grace. One thing I like about the team is the inclusion of Rhodes, who is a bit underrated imo.
No.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If we're going down the 'FC Averages Count' route then there are a whole host of bowlers with records more impressive than Larwood who never even got a Test

Larwood's great it's just that he didn't have enough international cricket at his peak, and Jimmy's sustained quality over a long period of time deserves credit.
Who?