• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England’s best-ever Test XI – ECB survey

hallmitchell

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is Don Bradman's all time England XI.
England:

Jack Hobbs

Len Hutton

Denis Compton

Peter May

Wally Hammond

WG Grace

Godfrey Evans

Fred Trueman

Alec Bedser

SF Barnes

Hedley Verity

Ian Botham (12th man).

ImpatientLime

International Regular
The omission of Hobbs, Hammond and Barnes is a travesty beyond simply the unforgivable. I'll take Hobbs at 50 over a hundred Cook's. Hammond is no doubt the greatest English middle order batsman. Barnes over Anderson is a no contest too. Anderson just hasn't ever been that good though his durability is astonishing. Laker over Swann too. Compton as England's post war superstar deserves a place. Laker over Swann too although this one isn't that absurd.
Mine would be identical to the CW XI.

Pietersen, Cook and Anderson should come nowhere near an all time XI.
lol

the blokes taken 392 at 24 since 2010 but yeah he's never been that good.

he's the only one out of himself, cook, pietersen, root and swann that deserves to be in this discussion.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
lol

the blokes taken 392 at 24 since 2010 but yeah he's never been that good.

he's the only one out of himself, cook, pietersen, root and swann that deserves to be in this discussion.
A mediocre away record is a mediocre away record and you can't arbitrarily chop bits off a player's career.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Anderson has been world class for 8 years or so. Just because he had a meh few years before that shouldn't disqualify himself from the discussion for an English all time XI.

I definitely still wouldn't have him ahead of any of the likes of Trueman/Barnes/Larwood but he's closer to making an XI than Root/KP/Cook are for sure.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
A mediocre away record is a mediocre away record and you can't arbitrarily chop bits off a player's career.
in that time period he has played 94 test matches. in the history of the game, only 11 pace bowlers have played more than 94 test matches. 12 if you include anderson.

also, the accusation is that he has never been good. no he isn't amongst the absolute elite of the fast bowlers fraternity but i'd suggest for long periods of his career he has been very ****ing good. he's also thrown in exceptionally good performances in india, the uae and australia.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
in that time period he has played 94 test matches. in the history of the game, only 11 pace bowlers have played more than 94 test matches. 12 if you include anderson.

also, the accusation is that he has never been good. no he isn't amongst the absolute elite of the fast bowlers fraternity but i'd suggest for long periods of his career he has been very ****ing good. he's also thrown in exceptionally good performances in india, the uae and australia.
Yeah, you're 100% spot on here IL. Trundlers a good lad but he does have a bee in his bonnet against Jimmy (as it seems a lot on CW do) To say he was "never that good" is just absurd........those numbers stack up with some of the best, and it;s folly to say you are cherry picking when we're talking 8 years and 90+ tests.

He is dead set in the discussion for an ATG Eng line up, no way are any of the other recent names that have been mentioned. Swann and KP FFS.......gtfo of here lol

Last edited:

trundler

I said that good, which is to say elite tier. Sure he's among the best in the world and I'll concede his selection isn't as dire as KP, Root and Cook but it's still far fetched.

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
the cook one particularly mind boggling.

if there is one thing england do well, its opening batsman. i'd take hobbs, hutton, sutcliffe, boycott and gooch all over him.

trundler

Yeah, Cook just isn't good enough whereas Anderson is a Walsh-like case for his country's all time XI (though I'd say Walsh is an ATG and he's ATVG).

cnerd123

likes this
Honestly I'd take Jimmy over Larwood. Larwood was quality but never quite reached his peaks consistently at the International stage, and one of his highlights was Bodyline which does carry an asterix next to it given so many great pacers never got a chance to try that out themselves. Jimmy A has got just so much more volume of elite performances

I'd probably go Barnes - Trueman - Laker as locks in the bowling attack, with Jimmy competing against Snow, Willis, Larwood, Statham, Voce, etc. Also depends on how many all-rounders you pick - plenty of bowling in Botham, Grace, Hammond, Rhodes. Also could play two spinners with Verity.

Jimmy A definitely in the conversation

a massive zebra

International Captain
the cook one particularly mind boggling.

if there is one thing england do well, its opening batsman. i'd take hobbs, hutton, sutcliffe, boycott and gooch all over him.
Not particularly mind boggling given that most casual fans won't know who Hobbs and Sutcliffe were, Boycott was a boring batsman and the first half of Gooch's career was pretty mediocre.

trundler

Cook is only second to Mahela when talking about worst batsman to score 10k plus runs.