• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England’s best-ever Test XI – ECB survey

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly I'd take Jimmy over Larwood. Larwood was quality but never quite reached his peaks consistently at the International stage, and one of his highlights was Bodyline which does carry an asterix next to it given so many great pacers never got a chance to try that out themselves. Jimmy A has got just so much more volume of elite performances

I'd probably go Barnes - Trueman - Laker as locks in the bowling attack, with Jimmy competing against Snow, Willis, Larwood, Statham, Voce, etc. Also depends on how many all-rounders you pick - plenty of bowling in Botham, Grace, Hammond, Rhodes. Also could play two spinners with Verity.

Jimmy A definitely in the conversation
Larwood had a first class average of 17.5. Sure his test average was 28 (similar to JA) but there was a bloke called Donald something who adversely affected a few bowlers' averages

cnerd123

likes this
If we're going down the 'FC Averages Count' route then there are a whole host of bowlers with records more impressive than Larwood who never even got a Test

Larwood's great it's just that he didn't have enough international cricket at his peak, and Jimmy's sustained quality over a long period of time deserves credit.

Last edited:

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain
Cook definitely deserves to be in this discussion, not saying he should be in that 11 necessarily - look at his record in Asia and he opens in the hardest country to open batting (fully aware the others opened in England as well lol). Root when he retires will most likely make this list if he starts converting more which i'm sure he will, and Jimmy makes it for me in that 11 (he is definitely not out of place with the stats listed in the above posts). KP should not be in there though or Swann.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only ones who deserve to even be discussed for the opening slot for England are Hobbs, Hutton and Sutcliffe. It's not really an insult to Cook because those are arguably 3 of the 4 greatest openers ever. It's just bonkers to consider anyone else imo. (Unless you count Grace and his FC career)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jimmy's sustained quality over a long period of time deserves credit.
Eh, time is a flexible thing in cricket. Trueman bowled 100,000 balls in his professional career and Anderson has only bowled about 60,000 so far. That a greatly differing proportion of those have been in tests has nothing to do with a bowler's quality.

mr_mister

If we're going down the 'FC Averages Count' route then there are a whole host of bowlers with records more impressive than Larwood who never even got a Test

Larwood's great it's just that he didn't have enough international cricket at his peak, and Jimmy's sustained quality over a long period of time deserves credit.
more impressive than 17? Surely not that many 20th century quicks have it lower than that

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Eh, time is a flexible thing in cricket. Trueman bowled 100,000 balls in his professional career and Anderson has only bowled about 60,000 so far. That a greatly differing proportion of those have been in tests has nothing to do with a bowler's quality.
Dunno where you got those figures from but they are nowhere near accurate to the cricinfo player profiles.

JA has bowled 100,317 balls in his professional career. Trueman ahead but not by that much....115,865

Last edited:

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
Cook is only second to Mahela when talking about worst batsman to score 10k plus runs.
Those other players can keep their inflated averages - I'll take Australia 2010/11 and India 2012 anyday.

On topic, surely Swann would have posted some handy numbers during the Laker era?

Last edited:

Starfighter

Dunno where you got those figures from but they are nowhere near accurate to the cricinfo player profiles.

JA has bowled 100,317 balls in his professional career. Trueman ahead but not by that much....115,865
What you've done is added up all the balls faced figures while forgetting that those for tests and ODIs are included in the FC and LA figures. Big mistake.

Trueman: 99701 (FC) + 986 (LA) = 100767. Anderson: 46556 (FC) + 12414 (LA) + 933 (T20) = 59903

fredfertang

No other pace bowler topped the First Class averages five times, not even Sir Paddles or Maco

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Quite sad that people don’t remember the greats of the past. Mine would be:

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton*
Compton
Hammond
Barrington
Botham
Knott+
Laker
Trueman
Barnes

May, Larwood unlucky to miss out. (bowling looks weak but if im getting peak Botham and Barnes I’ll be fine)

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
more impressive than 17? Surely not that many 20th century quicks have it lower than that
No, but to be fair, this is a test XI and Larwood generally did not perform as highly as one would expect outside of Bodyline. Should Johnson make an Australian XI based on his 13-14 Ashes series?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Quite sad that people don’t remember the greats of the past. Mine would be:

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton*
Compton
Hammond
Barrington
Botham
Knott+
Laker
Trueman
Barnes

May, Larwood unlucky to miss out. (bowling looks weak but if im getting peak Botham and Barnes I’ll be fine)
Peak Botham & Barnes might not even get a look in if peak Laker takes all ten!

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, but to be fair, this is a test XI and Larwood generally did not perform as highly as one would expect outside of Bodyline. Should Johnson make an Australian XI based on his 13-14 Ashes series?
If he's guaranteed to bowl like he did in that series, well yeah I guess

If he's going to bowl like he normally did, **** no

Starfighter

Burgey's favourite Pommy rag has proposed an XI they reckon can beat this one:

1. Hobbs
2. Sutcliffe
3. Hammond
4. Compton
5. Barrington
6. Stewart +
7. Greig *
8. Rhodes
9. Bedser
10. Tyson
11. Barnes

Still no love for Laker, Ames is overlooked and maybe Statham over Bedser? But the batting shows up very well against the other team.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
lol stewart

would be behind ames, prior and maybe even bairstow when keeping. bloke average just a shade under 35 when he had the gloves.

Slifer

International Captain
Burgey's favourite Pommy rag has proposed an XI they reckon can beat this one:

1. Hobbs
2. Sutcliffe
3. Hammond
4. Compton
5. Barrington
6. Stewart +
7. Greig *
8. Rhodes
9. Bedser
10. Tyson
11. Barnes

Still no love for Laker, Ames is overlooked and maybe Statham over Bedser? But the batting shows up very well against the other team.
I can't take any English xi seriously if it omits Fred Trueman smh