• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Literally no strength shown there at all. Held off with one hand ffs.
I thought this at the time but later realised Costa is just crazy strong. Forgot how good he is.

Comms seem convinced Arsenal have been piling on pressure but I really haven’t seen it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I thought this at the time but later realised Costa is just crazy strong. Forgot how good he is.

Comms seem convinced Arsenal have been piling on pressure but I really haven’t seen it.
Commentary speak for "having a reasonable amount of possession oustide of their own half but looking incredibly vulnerable when Griezmann/Costa gets the ball".

A bit like how "attacking fullback" basically = "a fullback who runs up and down a lot".

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Arsenal's crossing tonight has been cack. Not the most sensible tactic in any event, given that Giroud doesn't play for them anymore, but still.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well, that's a really sad end.

But, obviously not an undeserved result. Had their chances and didn't take them, just not good enough at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Griezmann a great player, but he is also a rat.

More broadly though, Arsenal's squad just not up to it (whether they get a result here or not). Ospina, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Xhaka, Welbeck and Wilshere should all be punted.

Don't even dislike most of these players, but they are just so obviously not top tier.

Ramsey has had a crap game tonight as well, disappointing.
Xhaka is an absolute clown.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Arsenal had loads of the ball in areas where a team can never be 100% comfortable (35 or so yards out) without ever really causing the defence all that many problems. Oblak could have brought out a deck chair and book for the 2nd half for all that he had to do.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Xhaka is an absolute clown.
Yeah, needs to be moved on. He's frustrating because he shows glimpses every now and again of what (I imagine) he is meant to be (i.e. a sort of dynamic midfielder who is physical but also technically very strong with a great passing range) but he is so often all over the place.

Was so annoying watching today, every time he got the ball on the edge of the box he would just chip it out wide to Monreal who would then overhit a cross into the box. Must have happened about ten times over the course of the match. One dimensional and predictable.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Xhaka was probably our best player over the two legs. Made some pretty important defensive contributions that saved it being worse and passing was pretty good. Had an awful season but has come back a bit in the last couple of months.

Damage was done in the first leg tbh. 1-0 loss was no disgrace. Annoying that we were the best team that started the season in the Europa but couldn't take the trophy home because Atleti had a poor group stage in the Champions League.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Xhaka was probably our best player over the two legs. Made some pretty important defensive contributions that saved it being worse and passing was pretty good. Had an awful season but has come back a bit in the last couple of months.

Damage was done in the first leg tbh. 1-0 loss was no disgrace. Annoying that we were the best team that started the season in the Europa but couldn't take the trophy home because Atleti had a poor group stage in the Champions League.
Yeah, I think this has been discussed on here quite a few times before, but it's a way of doing things that really should be canned.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The Europa League/Uefa Cup is a weird tournament in that regard. Atletico, like Sevilla a couple of years ago, are probably going to have a better season than they otherwise would've because they crashed out of the Champions League. Same goes for simply not qualifying for the latter in the first place I guess. First time we've had a European knockout run for about nine years and it came because we had our lowest league finish the previous season.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, I think this has been discussed on here quite a few times before, but it's a way of doing things that really should be canned.
The problem with the Europa is that there's far too many teams in it.

If by some miracle Rangers were going to Lyon to play in the final our campaign would have been 23 games spread over 11 months. It's not helped by parachuting teams in from the Champions League left, right and centre either.

Of course, I wasn't saying this 10 years ago when my ticket for the UEFA Cup Final came through, but I don't think it's fair to the teams who get through the group stages, some of whom may have played 12 or 14 games to do so, to dump teams like Dortmund, Atletico and Napoli into the last 32 draw because they were **** in the Champions League.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Europa League/Uefa Cup is a weird tournament in that regard. Atletico, like Sevilla a couple of years ago, are probably going to have a better season than they otherwise would've because they crashed out of the Champions League. Same goes for simply not qualifying for the latter in the first place I guess. First time we've had a European knockout run for about nine years and it came because we had our lowest league finish the previous season.
I think there is a fairly decent chance that if they don't draw twice with Qarabag that Atletico end up in the Champions League final.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Not to go all rue me but mad to think Liverpool finished one point above us last season. Almost didn't get into the Champions League at all. And that was despite getting 6 points against us when we had half our first XI missing on the opening day and when Can should've been sent off at 2-1 at Anfield. Cliche but the margins are so fine in football.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He really was so good. Doing Cruyff turns in the box and everything. Probably one of the more underrated strikers of this generation when you consider he won league titles in three of his last four full seasons.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The best part will be Brenda's inevitable patronising comments on Slippy G's managerial abilities after every crushing defeat.