• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
To be fair, and it is a genuine question. What was the last Australia cricket team to actually really play within the spirit of the game? And I don't mean not playing hard, but I mean free of thuggish,. disrespectful & unsavory attitudes towards their opposition? Or by 'culture' were you just meaning how they act towards one another?
I think most would say the '05 Ashes was played in a good spirit (and the '06-'07) for instance. One of the most endearing qualities about that Ashes was the spirit it was played in.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Early 2000's Australian side played brilliant cricket. Loved watching them. Helped that they had some immensely likeable guys like Gilchrist, Martyn, Hussey, even Warne (before he'd hit the commentary box).

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
People have very large blinkers on if they think the Australian team is any worse than India or South Africa

TheJediBrah

I've noticed this via facebook comments, but Indians all seriously love George Bailey. Every random article or topic even remotely related to cricket has a top comment of "Whai dont Oztrala pik Gurg Bayli anymor??" with about 300 likes all from Indians

Finch for captain
Yes pls

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I don’t think Lehmann will be getting off scott free. The actions taken by CA so far really just relate to what occurred in that single instance - the repercussions over culture, environment etc. are still to come.

Instantly sacking could well have seen a lot of legal issues going forward. They’ve already experienced that with Arthur. They will have to go through a full process to be able to make a clean break if that’s what they want to do.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I've noticed this via facebook comments, but Indians all seriously love George Bailey. Every random article or topic even remotely related to cricket has a top comment of "Whai dont Oztrala pik Gurg Bayli anymor??" with about 300 likes all from Indians

Yes pls
To be fair, Bailey did get picked for an Ashes series on the back of that ridiculous series in India more or less, so it's not that hard to understand.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Why doesn't Sutherland stand down? Seriously, how long has he been in this post for and how many 'inquiries' out of debacles has he precided over. Time for some fresh blood. He's the Xi Jinping of Australian cricket. Except not effective.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I don’t think Lehmann will be getting off scott free. The actions taken by CA so far really just relate to what occurred in that single instance - the repercussions over culture, environment etc. are still to come.

Instantly sacking could well have seen a lot of legal issues going forward. They’ve already experienced that with Arthur. They will have to go through a full process to be able to make a clean break if that’s what they want to do.
It'll probably be a staggered approach, and in coming months, he'll resign of his own accord much in the same way MPs in The Thick of It resigned of their own accord.

Gob

International Coach
Early 2000's Australian side played brilliant cricket. Loved watching them. Helped that they had some immensely likeable guys like Gilchrist, Martyn, Hussey, even Warne (before he'd hit the commentary box).
Marto used to shove people from photos tbh

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Lehmann at heart of cultural contradiction - ESPNcricinfo

On that day, Sutherland *had* announced the summary sacking of a coach, Mickey Arthur, with the following words: "This has been a difficult decision to make but one that we feel is necessary. We are looking to establish a high-performing Australian cricket team that is consistent over a period of time. To achieve that, we need all the parts moving in the right direction. Recent on-field results have been too inconsistent. Discipline, consistency of behaviour and accountability for performance are all key ingredients that need to improve. And we see that the head coach is ultimately responsible for that."

Of all the ironies in that five-year-old statement, none could be more painful than the fact that Arthur was replaced due to the difficulties created by his imperfect attempts to change the culture of the Australian team. This time around, the man most associated with maintaining its increasingly dated brutality has somehow managed to sidestep accountability, at least for now. Not for the first time, Arthur can feel himself very hard done by, and Lehmann the archetypal "Lucky Man".
Almost get the feeling with what feels like a let off for Lehmann (maybe not forever, but probably behind closed doors); that Mickey Arthur did not do things 'the Australian way' but Lehmann does so therefore he is alright. Continuous contradictions from the CA.

I don't think anybody really thinks that Smith or Bancroft should be sanctioned more than what the ICC has done; Warner is more a last straw problem, internal to the Australian squad. But everybody seems to realize that Lehmann has created a toxic atmosphere not good for the team. Except of course the people getting punished by the CA are the ones getting hard done by, and the biggest issue is being ignored.

Just as an aside, people keep implying Smith is being punished for 'ball tampering', that's not true, he has got into trouble with the ICC because he brought the game into disrepute by his actions, both of allowing it and initially covering it up. Bancroft got the pretty standard 3 demerit points and 75% match fee. Everything else is being done by the CA themselves and the Australian public, they should blame themselves for overreacting not the rest of the world; who are actually laughing at them more than getting upset with the players.

TheJediBrah

Marto used to shove people from photos tbh
anyone who was angry about that, or thinks it was bad behaviour in any way, should be sterilised IMO. The outrage at that was laughable.

Slow old guy was just dozing around in the middle of the stage, Martyn gives him a friendly touch on the back. Literally lays his hand gently on his back a couple of times to wake the guy up and remind him it's past his bed time. Nek minnit Damien Martyn is an evil person because he "shoved" the guy "off the stage"

edit: sterilised is a bit harsh. But it was pretty damn stupid

Last edited: