• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Borges

International Regular
> there are lots of things that just dont add up for me

The one thing that does not dd up for me is Steven Smith's press conference.

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
Debuting next summer on Netflix : "Making a Tamperer"

Bancroft = Brendan Dassey
Smith = Avery
Warner = Halbach's dodgy as **** ex-BF.

Sutherland = Ken "The Prize" Kratz

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I get all of the Australian outrage at this. I feel it myself. But the one thing I can't stand is the sanctimonious bull**** from other nationalities right now. Reddit is particularly bad with the all self-righteousness going on over there. I mean Indians who literally worship Tendulkar are saying CA isn't going fast enough when the BCCI literally got the match referee who charged Tendulkar with a lesser offense fired. The internet outrage culture is completely absurd and overdone here.

We're literally talking about something that if discovered has a 5 run penalty and a maximum one game ban. And some people are crying out for life bans? What ridiculousness is this?

sunilz

International Regular
As expected CA did a massive cover up yesterday. They saved Steve Smith last year during DRS controversy. and are now saving their fast bowlers now. only in Australia batsmen tamper the ball and bowlers have no idea. You want me to believe that leadership group consist of 2 players. CA doing cover up since 1880s

Shri

Mr. Glass
As expected CA did a massive cover up yesterday. They saved Steve Smith last year during DRS controversy. and are now saving their fast bowlers now. only in Australia batsmen tamper the ball and bowlers have no idea. You want me to believe that leadership group consist of 2 players. CA doing cover up since 1880s
Yeah, I agree that Bradman was a fictional character.

Borges

International Regular
> I get all of the Australian outrage at this. I feel it myself.

I don't get this outrage at all.
Do you really believe that illegally tampering with the ball was practiced only by every cricket playing nation other than Australia?
Or are you just outraged that they got caught doing it? What is his fantastic outrage about?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I feel like this is all Michael Clarke's fault. Under Ponting, the 10 other blokes in his team would've lined up in front of him to take a bullet. From then on it's been cliques and scandals. Katich knew what was up.

Katich for coach. ****, get him opening and (c)!

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Debuting next summer on Netflix : "Making a Tamperer"

Bancroft = Brendan Dassey
Smith = Avery
Warner = Halbach's dodgy as **** ex-BF.

Sutherland = Ken "The Prize" Kratz
Well, if we're playing this game… here's the cast line up for 'Breaking Balls'

Lehmann is Gus Fring, the evil mastermind.
Sutherland is Mike Ermentraut, his loyal enforcer who knows what he is doing is wrong but can't not see the dollar signs.
Steve Smith is Walter White, who could have been a great and noble man before wickedness turned his head.
Bancroft is Jesse Pinkman, his young and misguided accomplice.
Warner is the meth nazi, obviously.
Jane Margolis is Matt Renshaw, who's absence reminds everyone of the threat hanging over them.
Gale Boetticher is Tim Paine, being asked from above to take over the running of the empire despite being clearly out of his depth.
Fanie De Villiers is Hank Schrader putting all the pieces together.
And Lyon and Hazlewood are Skyler and Walt Jr, who claim ignorance but nobody is quite sure what to believe...

And I guess it would be hard to resist the Marsh brothers as Skinny Pete and Badger just for the heck of it.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
I would not be accepting a 12-month ban or even a six month ban if I was Steven Smith

I would be lawyering up and insisting on his right to a hearing in which his lawyer would argue:

- the normal sanction for this is a fine and a few demerit points (what Bancroft got)

- it's only a Level 2 offence

- I fessed up (he's was very forthcoming at the press conference)

- I have no black mark against me in this area

- I've already been dealt a massive penalty (stripped of captaincy, sent home in disgrace, 1 Test ban, public humiliation)

Last edited:

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
I would be lawyering up and insisting on his right to a hearing in which his lawyer would argue:
Is Rabada's QC available? :laugh: Don't think he can really claim the humiliation card can he, given that my impression is that that's pretty much how everyone in Australia is feeling at the minute because of him.

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
Well, if we're playing this game… here's the cast line up for 'Breaking Balls'

Lehmann is Gus Fring, the evil mastermind.
Sutherland is Mike Ermentraut, his loyal enforcer who knows what he is doing is wrong but can't not see the dollar signs.
Steve Smith is Walter White, who could have been a great and noble man before wickedness turned his head.
Bancroft is Jesse Pinkman, his young and misguided accomplice.
Warner is the meth nazi, obviously.
Jane Margolis is Matt Renshaw, who's absence reminds everyone of the threat hanging over them.
Gale Boetticher is Tim Paine, being asked from above to take over the running of the empire despite being clearly out of his depth.
Fanie De Villiers is Hank Schrader putting all the pieces together.
And Lyon and Hazlewood are Skyler and Walt Jr, who claim ignorance but nobody is quite sure what to believe...

And I guess it would be hard to resist the Marsh brothers as Skinny Pete and Badger just for the heck of it.
Is Saul Goodman that Lawyer who got Rabada off..feels like it should be.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would not be accepting a 12-month ban or even a six month ban if I was Steven Smith

- the normal sanction for this is a fine and a few demerit points (what Bancroft got)

- it's only a Level 2 offence

- I fessed up (he's was very forthcoming at the press conference)

- I have no black mark against me in this area

- I've already been dealt a massive penalty (stripped of captaincy, sent home in disgrace, 1 Test ban, public humiliation)
I don't know much about lawyering and **** but you'd have to think he'd successfully appeal such a punishment easily, given the comparatively extremely lenient punishments as precedents in similar offenses

I mean as a "prosecuter" how would you justify it, legally? "He's Australian and they are sanctimonious so he deserves a harsher punishment"?

cnerd123

likes this
I don't know much about lawyering and **** but you'd have to think he'd successfully appeal such a punishment easily, given the comparatively extremely lenient punishments as precedents in similar offenses

I mean as a "prosecuter" how would you justify it, legally? "He's Australian and they are sanctimonious so he deserves a harsher punishment"?
I think its that Smith has a contract with CA that allows them to dish out punished as they deem fit, and has probably signed somewhere to adhere to the CA Code of Conduct, which probably carries strict punishments for violating it

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think its that Smith has a contract with CA that allows them to dish out punished as they deem fit, and has probably signed somewhere to adhere to the CA Code of Conduct, which probably carries strict punishments for violating it
oh yeah contracts. I forgot about those things.

Starfighter

I think someone earlier mentioned that there'd likely be more controls on it than 'as they see fit'. Such a serious punishment would probably have to go through a hearing etc etc.

cnerd123

likes this
I think someone earlier mentioned that there'd likely be more controls on it than 'as they see fit'. Such a serious punishment would probably have to go through a hearing etc etc.
well yea ofcourse, but the idea is that any punishment they dole out will be legally appropriate. They aren't going to fly off the cuff here. They aren't reckless. They have their lawyers and their documents and their due processes and whatever they hit him with is more likely than not to be iron clad.

Borges

International Regular
I haven't really followed the CA vs players wage dispute at all.
Do people think that CA now trying to punish people like Smith/Warner for speaking up and reward people like Lehman for keeping quiet?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I haven't really followed the CA vs players wage dispute at all.
Do people think that CA now trying to punish people like Smith/Warner for speaking up and reward people like Lehman for keeping quiet?
I think so. Warner is an idiot, so won't defend him. But the overreaction is just too much. I know other Aussie cricketers doing stuff that was way out of line than this incident. This is just too much drama over a petty incident. Who cares? They did something childish on the field and that's it, no need to keep going on and on about it. Not walking when you are clearly out is also a big offence in my eyes, don't see anyone get penalised for that.

Last edited:

Starfighter

well yea ofcourse, but the idea is that any punishment they dole out will be legally appropriate. They aren't going to fly off the cuff here. They aren't reckless. They have their lawyers and their documents and their due processes and whatever they hit him with is more likely than not to be iron clad.
Just like what the ICC hit Rabada with was iron clad. I would be staggered if there wasn't some sort of internal appeals process, and I doubt that CA could legally deny some external ones either. And it would be very easy to argue that lengthy suspension isn't appropriate.

I feel like some of you just want to see him banned without respect to the offence.