• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time world ODI XI game

Victor Ian

International Coach
I wrote this in the Aussie team thread but maybe more people are looking here

I wonder if their is any correlation between team ratings and the sum of player ratings. Why? It would be neat to then work out the team rankings of all these teams at the end and determine which team is the cut off for being worse than Zimbabwe. And if this exercise is allowed to consume nufan's next few years so it is done for all teams we could compare the first 11s of each. Is anyone up for proving a correlation exists? I would.... except I'm a lazy git :)
If anyone has the data to do this it would be awesome do award these teams rankings. I think the Aussie team in it's heyday got to around 140. Would our all time great team get 150? 180? Anyways....

I'd actually be happy to look into it myself, but I don't know how/where to get the data from.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking like Warne is going to be the third choice spinner. Lunacy. I'd much rather be facing Saqlain than Warne in a WC final.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Looking like Warne is going to be the third choice spinner. Lunacy. I'd much rather be facing Saqlain than Warne in a WC final.
I would rather bowl to sachin in a wc final over Aravinda but I wouldnt call it lunacy to pick the guy with the more incredible stats. I mean Saqi averages under 22 with the ball.

cnerd123

likes this
Warne

Klusener

Ponting

Urgh it makes me feel sick to my stomach picking 3 Aussies, but it is what it is.

Actually I misunderstood the question. Symonds out Klusener in. Rather have Zulu bowl 10 then Symonds. Wanna slot Symonds in at that number 6 position.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I go for Warne over Saqlain simply because I feel he fit into an ATG attack a lot better - like, if you have 3 other quality bowlers, the batsmen need to eventually pick a bowler to get stuck into, and Warne thrives in those situations. Saqlain has had a few games in his ODI career where he's been taken apart by batsmen coming after him. Plus in my head these hypothetical ATG matches play out with all these guys already familiar with each other's skillsets - so the mystery of Saqlain's doosra won't be as potent. Warne's skills hold up better IMO.

Really splitting hairs tho. Might actually vote Saqlain as the 4th bowler in this team and end up going with 2 quicks, 2 spinners and Klusener/Symonds to support.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This side is in some ways going to be the opposite of the first XI. If Donald isn't picked as the change bowler and it goes to Imran or Klusener this side will likely have a ridiculously long tail with Klusener/Imran batting 8, Pollock 9, Saqlain/Warne batting 10, and Ambrose 11.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question and we're picking for the #7 spot (Pollock being picked as an opening bowler and therefore technically batting in the bottom 4).

If one of the all rounders get picked we should really pick another pure bowler like Donald IMO.

Himannv

International Coach
Yeah, getting the balance right is complicated. The 1st XI was a bit light on batting in the tail and this team is just the opposite. The side with the better batting in ODIs is the better team IMO, so you can argue that the 2nd XI is better than the 1st if it continues to play out the way it is right now.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I go for Warne over Saqlain simply because I feel he fit into an ATG attack a lot better - like, if you have 3 other quality bowlers, the batsmen need to eventually pick a bowler to get stuck into, and Warne thrives in those situations. Saqlain has had a few games in his ODI career where he's been taken apart by batsmen coming after him. Plus in my head these hypothetical ATG matches play out with all these guys already familiar with each other's skillsets - so the mystery of Saqlain's doosra won't be as potent. Warne's skills hold up better IMO.

Really splitting hairs tho. Might actually vote Saqlain as the 4th bowler in this team and end up going with 2 quicks, 2 spinners and Klusener/Symonds to support.
Saqlain was much more than mystery and doosra though. You are imagining him as Ajantha Mendis like bowler. But Saqi was far more street smart. The way he squeezed batsmen for room who tried to play late cuts to see their off stump knocked silly was a sight to behold. Unusually for a spinner, Saqlain also bowled in death overs regularly. Has a total of 6 fivers which in ODI cricket is a LOT!

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Saqlain was much more than mystery and doosra though. You are imagining him as Ajantha Mendis like bowler. But Saqi was far more street smart. The way he squeezed batsmen for room who tried to play late cuts to see their off stump knocked silly was a sight to behold. Unusually for a spinner, Saqlain also bowled in death overs regularly. Has a total of 6 fivers which in ODI cricket is a LOT!
I mean, saying Saqlain relied on batsmen not picking his variation and was more hittable with reference to Shane Warne isn't the same as saying he is Mendis-like in his bowling.

Saqi was all class and one of the greatest finger spinners to have ever lived. The man was quality and deserves a spot in the second XI. I just feel stylistically his bowling doesn't fit the team as well as Warne. This isn't to discredit him, it's just to differ. For instance - if I wanted a spinner to rip the heart out of a batting lineup in a low scoring game, I'd pick Saqlain. If I wanted a spinner to lead my ODI bowling attack, then Saqlain. But if I want a spinner to support an already ATG attack? Warne.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I mean, saying Saqlain relied on batsmen not picking his variation and was more hittable with reference to Shane Warne isn't the same as saying he is Mendis-like in his bowling.

Saqi was all class and one of the greatest finger spinners to have ever lived. The man was quality and deserves a spot in the second XI. I just feel stylistically his bowling doesn't fit the team as well as Warne. This isn't to discredit him, it's just to differ. For instance - if I wanted a spinner to rip the heart out of a batting lineup in a low scoring game, I'd pick Saqlain. If I wanted a spinner to lead my ODI bowling attack, then Saqlain. But if I want a spinner to support an already ATG attack? Warne.
Yeah, splitting hairs probably. I tend to give little extra credit to ODI players who pioneered something special for limited over cricket (Saqlain, Garner, Bevan, Jones) rather than those carrying over their general awesomeness into the secondary format (Lara, Ambrose, Ponting).

Also, as far as supporting an ATG attack goes, Saqlain has that covered too. Often when Akram, Waqar and Akhtar couldn't get the job done, Saqlain showed up in big way. Here a couple of games that opposition should have won by all means until Saqlain demolished batting in no time:

1st ODI, New Zealand tour of Pakistan at Gujranwala, Dec 4 1996 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
3rd Match, Carlton & United Series at Adelaide, Dec 15 1996 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

PS. We have a few ODI related thread on the front page currently which I absolutely love. While this format is certainly secondary to tests, it does challenge players to innovate and improvise in unique ways.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
PS. We have a few ODI related thread on the front page currently which I absolutely love. While this format is certainly secondary to tests, it does challenge players to innovate and improvise in unique ways.
Yes, over the last couple of years I have re-discovered my love for ODIs. It's also a very tactical format.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Haven't given up, just been busy the last week or so. I will return to it tomorrow morning with a fresh outlook and bright eyed optimism.

Red

Saqlain and Warne tie on 6 votes each. I am giving the spot to Saqlain based purely on stats, and therefore Warne will go immediately into the 3rd XI.

Imran narrowly edges out Hadlee for the third bowler slot.

Ponting comfortably takes the #3 position.

World ODI First XI

Adam Gilchrist +
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Virat Kohli
AB DeVilliers
Michael Bevan
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

World ODI Second XI

-
-
Ricky Ponting
-
-
MS Dhoni
Imran Khan
Shaun Pollock
-
Saqlain Mushtaq
Curtly Ambrose

Red

Please select two openers for the ODI World 2nd XI.

Please select a batsman to bat at #4 for the ODI World 2nd XI