• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Steven Smith Question

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think what Steve Smith shows us is that batting how you feel fit with hunger to learn, adapt and score runs > batting in a way that is 'correct'

To insist new generations try to bat like Smith would be to miss the point entirely.
Also nothing to do with what I said

Spikey

honestly I thought the Steve Smith question was gonna be: 'is he gonna go past 945 ranking points?'

i should make a poll

Spark

Global Moderator
some quality in that thread, including "dave hussey would pose as much threat as a spinner as nathan lyon"

Spikey

god it sucked when Hussey retired and we were seeing "hey let's pick Dave Hussey!" no offence to dave

Spark

Global Moderator
i think i posted a variation of that "no no no no" post every time someone advocated dave hussey's selection

Spikey

it's insane how different Australian cricket would be if Usman and Watson did their homework

Woodster

International Captain
It's a myth that he's ugly to watch. His Perth knock was a joy to watch. Granted the pitch was a good one for attractive strokeplay, but he was on a different level to everyone else. He can play like that, and grind runs out with the best of them as well, like at Brisbane.
No, it really isn't a myth! I'm not doubting what he's done in the slightest, or potentially what he can go on and achieve, but there will never be an innings of Steve Smith's that's anything other than a tough watch, and that's not just from an England as the opponents persepective. I'm sure he doesn't care how he looks as long as he keeps piling up the runs!

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I think what Steve Smith shows us is that batting how you feel fit with hunger to learn, adapt and score runs > batting in a way that is 'correct'

To insist new generations try to bat like Smith would be to miss the point entirely.

Very good point.

Subjective style is the new objective style.

Tannhauser

Cricket Spectator
Smith's got a stronger case than most tho.

I'm just happy Smith's craziness is channeled into scoring runs rather than world domination tbh.
I'm not saying for a minute there's anything sinister about him. More that, well, I could see him going back to his hotel room after knocking off another 150 and engaging in ferociously competitive play with He-Man figures, or something.

Gob

International Coach
No, it really isn't a myth! I'm not doubting what he's done in the slightest, or potentially what he can go on and achieve, but there will never be an innings of Steve Smith's that's anything other than a tough watch, and that's not just from an England as the opponents persepective. I'm sure he doesn't care how he looks as long as he keeps piling up the runs!
Lol, Its all very subjective

Victor Ian

International Coach
I just can not fathom how people say his play is ugly. It is different, sure, but it is also beautiful in the way he does it. I have been watching youtube to see him clobber bouncers back to the ground for the last half hour. It seriously is a shot to mesmerise.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm sure useless 40s are so much more watchable than hundreds on raging turners.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smith's biggest problem is the boring name - just doesn't have the same ring as 'Don Bradman'

Rescues it slightly by having three initials - would probably do better if he used Devereux rather than boring old Steve

TheJediBrah

"I think it's ugly therefore everyone has to"

Woodster

International Captain
Lol, Its all very subjective
I just can not fathom how people say his play is ugly. It is different, sure, but it is also beautiful in the way he does it. I have been watching youtube to see him clobber bouncers back to the ground for the last half hour. It seriously is a shot to mesmerise.
"I think it's ugly therefore everyone has to"
Quite right it is subjective, but suggesting it's a myth is much the same as my statement.

Each to their own, he just really isn't my type of batsman to watch, as a neutral. Not in terms of how good he is or how many runs he scores, just his style of batting (have to justify this as you Aussies are clearly very sensitive over any Smith criticism).

TheJediBrah

Quite right it is subjective, but suggesting it's a myth is much the same as my statement.

Each to their own, he just really isn't my type of batsman to watch, as a neutral. Not in terms of how good he is or how many runs he scores, just his style of batting (have to justify this as you Aussies are clearly very sensitive over any Smith criticism).
Good that you've realised this

vcs

You've basically got to ignore the trigger movement **** and the other tics. He's really well-balanced while actually playing the shot.

For a batsman to be boring, he's got to have an ugly-ish technique, limited in their shot options, and be inherently defensive in their approach. So only people like Chanderpaul and Cook really fit the bill. Dravid and Kallis (in the early part of his career) were defensive but not ugly. Plenty of batsmen were ugly to watch in their strokeplay but scored fast (Hayden, Graeme Smith etc.). Steve Smith strikes at nearly 60, he's fine.

Last edited: