• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Steven Smith Question

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's kind of sad that people are still trying to find ways to discredit him and find weird excuses for his success.

Some people are just salty af

Spark

Global Moderator
How sour do you have to be to think that a guy averaging 60 is killing the game, fmd.

Chrish

International Debutant
If his success is ruining cricket then christ knows how folk would have dealt with Bradman today. More power to him, it's up to the rest to catch up, surely? I mean, I thought the whole point of sport was to strive to beat and to overcome the best, rather than wave the white flag and go home as soon as the opponent shows excellence.

Here's the rub though. Steve Smith will need to have a series like this one again, but this time in English conditions, to be considered an all-time great. Until then, and as great a player as he is (and I agree that going from a No. 8 part-time leggie to where he is today is outrageously impressive), he's being judged on Aussie roads and therefore shouldn't be part of such a conversation.

He's an odd fellow at the crease though. I look at him sometimes and think, 'WTF is this guy doing averaging 60 in Test cricket, he isn't fit to lace [insert Australian great of 97-07]'s boots'. But there you go.
It's generally accepted that as long as you average 40 or above at major venues, it's good enough.

vcs

It's a myth that he's ugly to watch. His Perth knock was a joy to watch. Granted the pitch was a good one for attractive strokeplay, but he was on a different level to everyone else. He can play like that, and grind runs out with the best of them as well, like at Brisbane.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's a myth that he's ugly to watch. His Perth knock was a joy to watch. Granted the pitch was a good one for attractive strokeplay, but he was on a different level to everyone else. He can play like that, and grind runs out with the best of them as well, like at Brisbane.
His Pune and Dharamshala knocks were ****ing incredible.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smith's got a stronger case than most tho.

I'm just happy Smith's craziness is channeled into scoring runs rather than world domination tbh.
He's one determined SOB.

He just gets into the zone and stays there. It's incredible.

Bahseph

State Captain
Still rate that 40-odd against SA in Hobart as one of the best innings I've seen from him. He just looked angry. Confused as to why his team were getting out. I doubt coaches will be advocating his technique, but they will be trying to instill that sense of hunger and pride in young batsman. That's enough for me.

TheJediBrah

Still rate that 40-odd against SA in Hobart as one of the best innings I've seen from him. He just looked angry. Confused as to why his team were getting out. I doubt coaches will be advocating his technique, but they will be trying to instill that sense of hunger and pride in young batsman. That's enough for me.
I don't see why not. If it works for him there's bound to be others it can work for.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't see why not. If it works for him there's bound to be others it can work for.
I think what Steve Smith shows us is that batting how you feel fit with hunger to learn, adapt and score runs > batting in a way that is 'correct'

To insist new generations try to bat like Smith would be to miss the point entirely.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I think what Steve Smith shows us is that batting how you feel fit with hunger to learn, adapt and score runs > batting in a way that is 'correct'

To insist new generations try to bat like Smith would be to miss the point entirely.
Lot of players have shown this repeatedly. Sehwag being the previous example.

Last edited:

Spikey

Without a doubt the funniest thing about the Steve Smith thing is that he hadn't scored a FC ton for like 18 months when he got recalled to the test team

Gob

International Coach
Without a doubt the funniest thing about the Steve Smith thing is that he hadn't scored a FC ton for like 18 months when he got recalled to the test team
where was that article?

I'd very much like to read it again