• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at Adelaide

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Can someone explain then in a couple of fairly short sentences 1. Why we didn’t win this particular test. And 2. What we need to do to win the next one. If anyone can do that without going on and on via pages of blather I’d be very happy as I don’t want to plough through stuff like in the political threads...
1. Aus outplayed us in the first 2 and a half days, so we were always playing catch-up

2. Leave lots of stray balls lying around in the pre-match warm up to take Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood and Lyon out of the game

Spark

Global Moderator
Can someone explain then in a couple of fairly short sentences 1. Why we didn’t win this particular test. And 2. What we need to do to win the next one. If anyone can do that without going on and on via pages of blather I’d be very happy as I don’t want to plough through stuff like in the political threads...
1. Australia got ~450 in the first innings
2. Get 450 in the first innings

Tests in Australia are generally won on Day 1, and maybe Day 2 if necessary. The rest is merely converting your winning advantage into the actual win.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I see Trott is moving into coaching as he has got an England u19 gig. So like father like son as his old man was my cricket coach.
I came across Trott Senior in a game my son played against a team from the Middle East that he brought over here a few months ago.

Interesting bloke. His side were way too strong for our lads, and both managers were invited to make some suitable comments after the game. Trott saw fit to publicly tell our top scorer that he was lazy, and criticize another lad for wearing his cap back to front during the post match revelries. Not quite what we expected, but they didn't seem too bothered. As I say, his lads had absolutely thrashed us, so it was hard to argue.

SeamUp

International Coach
I came across Trott Senior in a game my son played against a team from the Middle East that he brought over here a few months ago.

Interesting bloke. His side were way too strong for our lads, and both managers were invited to make some suitable comments after the game. Trott saw fit to publicly tell our top scorer that he was lazy, and criticize another lad for wearing his cap back to front during the post match revelries. Not quite what we expected, but they didn't seem too bothered. As I say, his lads had absolutely thrashed us, so it was hard to argue.
Yup that is Ian Trott. Often moody and you didn't know what you were going to get. Rarely gave praise so often challenged you. When you got praise you certainly knew you must have deserved it.

Strange man but a cricket tragic of that there is no doubt with the hours he gave Rondebosch Boys High School. His alma mater and obviously Joanthan's too.

He was chuffed he was in charge of a strong first XI that included his son, Andrew Puttick and Ryan Bailey and he was cricket coach there for ages.

Interesting that he is in the middle east now. He was in New Zealand for a number of years. Not sure if he stayed in England at any time for Jonathan's career. But I remember distinctly he was wearing his Rondebosch Cricket cap in the crowd on Jonathan's test debut. I swear he never took that cap off.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1) You got less runs than Australia did and lost more wickets.
2) You need to score more runs and lose less wickets.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know what to say really.. After frustrating and testing getting on the nerves of the rest of us (Pakistan, South Africa, West Indies, India) over the last 1.5 years with their annoying and never ending tail, it has gone totally missing in the all important Ashes series. Here I was expecting Australia to run through the top order like the rest of us and then see Mo, Bairstow and Woakes add another 150 runs. England you suck

vogue

International Vice-Captain
1) You got less runs than Australia did and lost more wickets.
2) You need to score more runs and lose less wickets.
Ha ha . Yes. Quite. :laugh:

And thank you to wpdavid, spark and spikey for replying in the short and sweet manner :D

Last edited:

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
I don't know what to say really.. After frustrating and testing getting on the nerves of the rest of us (Pakistan, South Africa, West Indies, India) over the last 1.5 years with their annoying and never ending tail, it has gone totally missing in the all important Ashes series. Here I was expecting Australia to run through the top order like the rest of us and then see Mo, Bairstow and Woakes add another 150 runs. England you suck
Has the English tail ever been that good outside of England? I'm trying to remember how they did in SA but I remember the batsmen and bowlers doing their jobs. In India they looked lost at sea and the first time they came up against ta op class attack in the CT (I know, I know, it was an ODI) they didn't look up to much, especially Stokes.

Maybe seeing the tail do well in home conditions against lesser opposition has inflated our idea of how good the tail is.

Spark

Global Moderator
also: can we please all agree to stop ****ing gambhiring every time a side is chasing an unrealistic score in the last innings and puts together one partnership. thank you.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has the English tail ever been that good outside of England? I'm trying to remember how they did in SA but I remember the batsmen and bowlers doing their jobs. In India they looked lost at sea and the first time they came up against ta op class attack in the CT (I know, I know, it was an ODI) they didn't look up to much, especially Stokes.

Maybe seeing the tail do well in home conditions against lesser opposition has inflated our idea of how good the tail is.

its that and the fact that their 8, 9 and 10 for a while (Moeen, Woakes and Broad) had impressive records. Mooen has batted everywhere in the order, Woakes is a county middle order bat and Broad once hit a test 169. Little things like that give the illusion an awesome tail.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's also that usually Stokes is in the side and everyone moves down one. We talked about this on the podcast; without him the crazy-strong lower order becomes a merely decent lower order.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
also: can we please all agree to stop ****ing gambhiring every time a side is chasing an unrealistic score in the last innings and puts together one partnership. thank you.
Then do the right thing and make it an infractable offense ****.

I wouldn't do it anywhere near as much if the mods just punished it if it's that bad.

Spark

Global Moderator
Then do the right thing and make it an infractable offense ****.

I wouldn't do it anywhere near as much if the mods just punished it if it's that bad.
We've actually been discussing doing exactly this over the last few days. There's obvious problems with doing so, though.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Well that was dog **** this morning, but unfortunately expected. You're never going to win games in Australia when you can't scoring 375+ with any consistency, but unfortunately our county championship is crap and the tallent is diluted far too much, there's too much cricket played, combined with the conditions we play in, so all our quicks end up 80mph trundlers, and we wonder why we don't produce quality batsmen. With what's available I'd **** about with our line up and have the following:

Cook
Stoneman
Root
Vince
Bairstow
Moeen
Foakes
Woakes
Overton
Broad
Anderson

I'm sorry but it's a joke that Root isn't batting no.3 and our 3rd best bat it wasted at no.7, so put him up to 5, get him to focus on his batting 100% and get Foakes in who managed 680 runs at 42.50 last year, and has a score in the lions game. Dawid Malan has to go, averaging 25 after 12 innings batting at 5 is simply not good enough, especially considering he's 30.Vince is worth persisting with for a couple more games IMO considering he's still young(ish) and has at least shown he can get a big score down under, but he's the next to get binned again IMO.
So you bemoan the quality of the championship and persist with a player who can’t even score runs in division one.

Cos he got some runs on a road we should have scored 450 plus on. Lyon was the only threat on that first day in Brisbane. Soon as the ball isn’t up and down Vince doesn’t have a clue. Malan showed some grit even if he isn’t good enough when it’s been more difficult, he got a half century in the first innings too.

You also want us to play less red ball cricket when it’s abundantly clear our players mindset is not that of batting time.

The point about the 80mph dobbers is a fair point. Blame pitch curators for that I suppose.

But even that won’t change anything. As the time when swing is least effective are now taken up by the ECBs drive for white ball franchise bollocks.

Our revolutionary idea to help us improve spin bowling clearly didn’t work seeing as we wanted to hammer Somerset for daring to produce a turning wicket. I know this happened end of last season but awe decided to reveal info about Leach after condemnation he was left out of India. The toss rule doesn’t magically make us produce Shane warne anyway