• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also continues a worrying trend where England's batsmen basically fall in a heap the moment they're asked to do anything remotely difficult.

Winning was never remotely on but at least bat the day and make South Africa come back tomorrow to finish the job ffs.

chris712

Cricket Spectator
England are overrated

Ballance is simply out of his depth, Dawson is average. Anderson and Broad need to be moved on as we need to find the next generation

Bahseph

State Captain
There's way too many gun players in this England side to ever right them off, but you do get the feeling that they need a few good honest pros in there to balance out the Stokeses & Moeens.

Every time I turn on an England Test there's a left handed opener paired with Cook who is vulnerable off stump. I know Hameed hasn't got many runs lately but surely he is the future. Looked so good in India. Ballance is very Duminy-like. Bullies domestically but something is missing at international level.

As for Dawson, I never like putting down my namesake haha, but what is the point of him? I looked at his stats and he seems a very middling player. I don't get that selection at all.

Bijed

International Regular
Also one of those players that basically has had one great season in his life.

We hear a lot about people doing really well in county cricket and then struggling in international cricket but most of them have actually had fairly modest career records, Ballance is the obvious exception.
Is it fair to say he might be the closest thing this generation has to a Hick/Ramprakash type player?

He probably gets next match though, as of the 4 that are candidates for dropping, he's been the least dreadful. In order to go for me would be: Wood, Dawson, Jennings, Ballance

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah there's something about him that just doesn't look quite up to it against quality pace bowling. Imagine taking him to Brisbane with that defence, eek.
TBH I'd back him for one good knock in Oz conditions. Looks one of those blokes who'll lace anything wide and just miss anything that moves off the straight. The times I've seen him castled, think it was the low bounce that did for him more than the movement.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just seen the dismissals for the first time - I thought folk were exaggerating how bad it was - now I know they weren't - genuinely shocked

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Is it fair to say he might be the closest thing this generation has to a Hick/Ramprakash type player?

He probably gets next match though, as of the 4 that are candidates for dropping, he's been the least dreadful. In order to go for me would be: Wood, Dawson, Jennings, Ballance
That's a good shout. Though Ballance is not as aesthetically pleasing as either of those two were.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stoneman is by far the most likely to get called up I suppose, seems like exactly the sort of pick we have been making the last few years.

Could do a youth thing I suppose, especially if a middle order spot is available because it brings someone like Lawrence into the discussion. Thing is in any other season Hameed would have played the first Test of the summer, a bit of poor form early season would have been discounted, it was only because we had such a long stretch before the first Test that it became a real problem. What is is he even doing at the moment with the Twenty20 being on?

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Stoneman is by far the most likely to get called up I suppose, seems like exactly the sort of pick we have been making the last few years.

Could do a youth thing I suppose, especially if a middle order spot is available because it brings someone like Lawrence into the discussion. Thing is in any other season Hameed would have played the first Test of the summer, a bit of poor form early season would have been discounted, it was only because we had such a long stretch before the first Test that it became a real problem. What is is he even doing at the moment with the Twenty20 being on?
He is indeed unlucky due to the scheduling.

They're picking based on Lions. Which is fair enough I suppose. It is the reason they travel the world with them. To get the next string ready to make the step up to Tests.

There have been massive issues with players not making the leap in the last few years. When it seemed under Strauss the next cab on the rank came in and just clicked.

I suppose the last player who has come in and finally made the spot his own is Woakes. The core of the side is still the same as forever though.

Groundking

International Debutant
I'm coming round to the idea that just keep chucking new lads into the team to try and score runs simply isn't working, and there's no need for 6 bowlers, I don't think it's helping Root's captaincy out having so many options with the ball, and it's just diluting the good stuff that Jimmy and Broad give use, so I think I'd like to see the following for the next test:

Cook
Robson
Jennings
Root
Ballance
Stokes
Bairstow
Moeen
TRJ
Broad
Anderson

With this we have alternating LH/RH all the way down, but honestly with the way Stokes has been batting recently I'd be half tempted to dump Stokes down to 8 and have Bairstow 6 Moeen 7, that's the question mark I'm currently having with this idea. but it's obvious that we need to change the batting up, as we've been rolled over for less than half South Africas total, and that's simply not acceptable, but constantly having a rotating door of batsmen isn't the best idea either IMO.