• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown (2017 Version)

Bijed

International Regular
I don't mean to be rude but you guys either have no clue about his fielding, or you're judging him by his later years. He was genuinely very good in the field for the first half of his career. The likes of him, Jayasuriya (who had a ridiculously good arm ), Chandana, Mahanama being fantastic fielders was a huge part of SL's ODI success in the 90s.
Fair enough, I would have only seen him from about 2002 onwards (and never saw that much of him, so maybe I was a little quick to pass judgement). Think the point about fielding being underrated, which I was also agreeing with, stands though

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
TBH, I would have Warne and Murali as much closer as ODI bowlers than they were as test match bowlers. I dont mean to say either was way off the other in any format of the game, but I think if I feel Murali was like 0.5 mm above Warne in tests as a bowler, then in ODIs, to me, its only 0.25. But it might well just be coz I just recall so many crucial ODI games where Warne did something great. And yeah Murali was a brilliant fielder. I have often been of the opinion that Murali > Warne as a bowler by a slight margin, but if I am picking a XI, I will most likely stick in Warne coz he brings more as a package,, esp. if I pick other bowlers who are no great shakes with the bat and the difference in bowling quality is not THAT big.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I was just making a joke hb. I think it was Bedi who once claimed Murali had 800 test run outs during a rant about him. It's obviously ridiculous if for the nothing else the fact that Muralis wickets weren't all bowled

Either way it's still funny so chill

Cool. Sorry I over reacted to your post. Sometimes a smiley helps in these situations, to show you are kidding.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never been a huge fan of smileys I feel they ruin the dead pan delivery I'm going for

If you weren't aware of the Bedi quote I can see how my post would like I'm ****ting on Murali pretty hard though ha

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Murali and Warne are pretty neck-and-neck in Tests, but would have Murali clearly ahead in ODIs. The 2003 WC ban is a definite negative on Warne's legacy in that format.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
TBH, I would have Warne and Murali as much closer as ODI bowlers than they were as test match bowlers. I dont mean to say either was way off the other in any format of the game, but I think if I feel Murali was like 0.5 mm above Warne in tests as a bowler, then in ODIs, to me, its only 0.25. But it might well just be coz I just recall so many crucial ODI games where Warne did something great. And yeah Murali was a brilliant fielder. I have often been of the opinion that Murali > Warne as a bowler by a slight margin, but if I am picking a XI, I will most likely stick in Warne coz he brings more as a package,, esp. if I pick other bowlers who are no great shakes with the bat and the difference in bowling quality is not THAT big.
I've always thought

Warne > Murali in tests

Murali > Warne in ODIs

Warne had that extra gear in tests, which isn't shown in any stats or data, but it was to do with his will to win and his ability to lift at clutch times.

On ODIs, I mainly remember watching Murali and seeing batsmen genuinely perplexed as to how to play him, and basically just trying to see him off. And his ER of under 4, for a spinner, in the era he played, is remarkable.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I've always thought

Warne > Murali in tests

Murali > Warne in ODIs

Warne had that extra gear in tests, which isn't shown in any stats or data, but it was to do with his will to win and his ability to lift at clutch times.

On ODIs, I mainly remember watching Murali and seeing batsmen genuinely perplexed as to how to play him, and basically just trying to see him off. And his ER of under 4, for a spinner, in the era he played, is remarkable.

Well, I still rate them the reverse way but that's fair enough reasoning. :)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
5 Joel Garner
Total Points: 470
Highest Pick: 2nd
2011 Ranking: 7th

By Red Hill

In this writer's humble opinion, Joel Garner is the greatest ODI bowler ever. Everything about Garner was perfect for ODI bowling. Tall, quick and accurate, able to intimidate with a lifting ball, and able to bowl the best yorker seen in the ODI game. Batsman must have wondered whether to go forward or back, and they didn't have long to decide. At 6ft 8, Garner was a monstrous sight. Striking regularly at a low average and with a miserly ER, Garner sits among the greatest short form bowlers ever. He would've made millions from T20 cricket in the modern era

Nufan's Main Memory: His World Cup Final spell of 5-4 ripping through the England batting lineup. Also, just his amazing overall average of 18.84 which is insane.

4 Glenn McGrath
Total Points: 509
Highest Pick: 3rd
2011 Ranking: 5th

It's often said the best plans are the simplest, and Glenn McGrath's no-nonsense assault on or just outside off-stump - along with the odd short ball, reaped rewards unlike no other. Pigeon's 50-over game was built on targeting opening batsman with the new ball in search for an edge, before returning in the closing stages and targeting the stumps. Like most Australians of his era, World Cup cricket brought the best out of him. No player in the history of the quadrennial showpiece has taken more than the 71 wickets he claimed in his four appearances and three wins from 1996-2007. He finished his career as the 2007 World Cup player of the tournament, Australia's leading ODI wicket-taker, and a certified legend of the one-day game.

Main Memory: His 2007 World Cup and also his 10-4-8-4 vs. India at the SCG.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So I don't think it is too much of a secret who the last 3 are, so time for some semi interesting (debatable perhaps) stats.

- 42 of CW's top 50 ODI cricketers in 2011 made this list. Only 3 of the 8 new entries are still playing.
- 8 countries are represented: AUS 16, WI 9, SA&PAK 7, IND&SL 4, NZ 2, ENG 1
- Adam Gilchrist was selected in 17 different spots within peoples top 25, which was the highest.
- Muralitharan was picked by someone in each of the top 12 spots.
- 81 different Cricketers made someone's top 25.
- Clive Lloyd was voted the most times (5) without making the list. He scored 24 points.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Interesting that 2 of the top 5 were not rated #1 by anyone. :) Still cant wait for the best/worst removed analysis, Nuffers. Think that list might be more definitive.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Interesting that 2 of the top 5 were not rated #1 by anyone. :) Still cant wait for the best/worst removed analysis, Nuffers. Think that list might be more definitive.
Who's going to do this, because I wasn't planning to. Removing the worst isn't a good indication though as not being picked at all is worse than being picked in a low spot.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
3 Sachin Tendulkar
Total Points: 525
Highest Pick: 1st
2011 Ranking: 2nd

Tendulkar took his first short, confident strides to the middle as a 16-year-old in 1989 and for the next 22 years or so it felt like he scarcely left the middle. Throughout, he retained his boyish appearance, exacerbated by his oversized pads and railway sleeper of a bat that he swung with a precision that matched his footwork. The right-hander was technically adroit, unerringly patient, wholeheartedly ruthless and perhaps more than anything, possessed an insatiable appetite for scoring runs. He did that better, and more regularly, than anyone to have played ODI cricket, as the 4000-plus gap he has on his nearest rival on the 'most ODI runs' list attests. He fell one short of an astonishing 50 ODI centuries and capped off his career with a World Cup triumph on home soil in 2011.

Main Memory: First batsman to score an ODI 200.

2 Wasim Akram
Total Points: 530
Highest Pick: 2nd
2011 Ranking: 3rd

Perhaps the greatest left-arm fast bowler to grace a cricket field, Wasim Akram revolutionised pace bowling and mastered the mystical art of reverse swing. In a career that spanned almost 19 years, Wasim was the first player to 500 ODI wickets and no quick has taken more scalps than the Lion of Lahore. Possessing a quick arm-action and a wrist like a whip, Wasim was devastating in the middle of his career – taking 198 wickets in 131 matches from 1992 to 1997. In combination with fellow swing prodigy Waqar Younis there was no better new-ball pair as Pakistan won the '92 World Cup then stampeded to the '99 final. Wasim remarkably played under 13 different captains, but was never more effective than under his own leadership; in 109 matches at the helm, he claimed 158 wickets at 22.63, slightly better than his overall career record, and led Pakistan to 66 wins. Above all the numbers and records, Wasim was the most feared white-ball quick of his generation, and perhaps the best ever.

Main Memory: Man of the match performance in the 1992 World Cup Final

1 Viv Richards
Total Points: 666
Highest Pick: 1st
2011 Ranking: 1st

It was serendipitous that Viv Richards and ODI cricket came along at a similar time, because it feels like one was made for the other. The West Indies had only played two ODIs before Richards debuted in the format at the 1975 World Cup, and truth be told, he had an ordinary tournament, despite his famous three run-outs in the Windies' final triumph over Australia. It was in 1976 that he found his feet in the format, and never looked back. By the end of the decade, he'd set the benchmark for ODI batting, inspired by his own natural aggression to hit harder and score faster than anyone who'd come before him. A match-winning century in the 1979 final earned him a second World Cup trophy, while an unbeaten 153 from 130 balls against Australia at the MCG was another instant classic. In the 1980s, 'The Master Blaster' dominated, motoring along at a strike-rate of 90 while every other batsman tried – and failed – to keep up.

Main Memory: His swagger. Also, his amazing 189*.

bagapath

International Captain
Nope, he didn't. Unless you wanna go by the any degree of flexion is chucking, in which case, every bowler in the world did/does.
well... then it is also possible to argue that no bowler ever chucked. which is hard for me to accept. some bowlers chucked some time. some of them chucked more often. one of them owned a candy factory in srilanka.

bagapath

International Captain
That massive gap between Viv Richards and No.2 explains it all

It must be a matter of who voted and who didn't that decided the ranking of Akram and Tendulkar. they could have easily swapped places with one or two votes swinging the other way.

Thanks for running this thread Nufan. Good fun.